PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Serious offers for Cassel yet? [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Serious offers for Cassell yet? [mergedx2]

I dont know why people are looking to trade him at this point. I mean, we saw the craziness that occurred after TB got injured due to our lack of a backup. If this guy turns out decent, why would we let him go. Im sure a 5 yr. 25 mill deal would be fair, plus it would'nt kill the cap. Maybe I'm wrong on this one, in terms of the monetary situation, but clearly a backup QB that has proven successful in our system would be nice.

Trade deadline has past for this year. And he is FA at the end of the year.

So I am not sure why we are still discussing trading him.

Turns out to be a darn good thing he wasn't traded or released.

I dont know why people are looking to trade him at this point. I mean, we saw the craziness that occurred after TB got injured due to our lack of a backup. If this guy turns out decent, why would we let him go. Im sure a 5 yr. 25 mill deal would be fair, plus it would'nt kill the cap. Maybe I'm wrong on this one, in terms of the monetary situation, but clearly a backup QB that has proven successful in our system would be nice.

Well if you read the first post in the thread before bumping it you might...it was a thread started in 2006...

At this point, Cassell is entirely a system QB. He is playing decently right now moreso beacuse of coaching and BB than because of his natural skills.

If we make it deep into the playoffs, sure I think he'll get some offers. But at this point I don't see why many teams would think too highly of a 7th round draft pick who has 6 starts under his belt, only a few of which he played considerably well.

At this point, Cassell is entirely a system QB. He is playing decently right now moreso beacuse of coaching and BB than because of his natural skills.

If we make it deep into the playoffs, sure I think he'll get some offers. But at this point I don't see why many teams would think too highly of a 7th round draft pick who has 6 starts under his belt, only a few of which he played considerably well.

Well, Matt Schaub got $20M, and he won five fewer games as a starter than Cassel has. Right now, I honestly think that MIN would be a perfect spot for him to land--they've basically got everything they need except a QB.

You don't spend 5/25 for a backup QB. Cassel will be moved, the only question is how much will we get for him. Brady if healthy is a top 3 QB in this league. Good luck elsewhere in 2009 Cassel!

You don't spend 5/25 for a backup QB. Cassel will be moved, the only question is how much will we get for him. Brady if healthy is a top 3 QB in this league. Good luck elsewhere in 2009 Cassel!

Nothing, zip, ziltch. He is a free agent.

This is totally dumb. Every QB is coached, and has been coached for years. Coaching and talent makes a player what he is. Both are needed. Coaching alone will not do it, and neither will raw talent.

But explain what a system QB is for us.

When a QB is in an empty backfield, everyone knows he is going to pass, and he wants to get a first down toss, he has to make the throw.
The defense is in dime coverage and the pass rush is primed.

So explain what being a system QB is in this situation. The receivers go out, the QB finds the open guy, and throws to him. For the same 8 yards against the same DBs and same pass rush.

Cassel is making the throws. He isn't perfect, but he is making more of the throws than most of the QBs who are starters, and all of the QBs who are backups.

Listen to God in Grey Hoodie people. This is now moot.

Listen to God in Grey Hoodie people. This is now moot.

It will only be moot if Bill and Scott say it is next February...

But again, people are foolishly currently commenting on a thread started in... 2006. Ian really needs to have a policy on locking things after a reasonable period of time has transpired - like say a season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes