PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: Mike Leach has died

Was just going to post this. Most never heard of him or barely recognize the name but his name and imprint are all over college football and the NFL. He was one of those coaches fans talk about wanting bc of his openness, innovation, creativity and kindness. Dude was an amazing teacher and visionary. Organ donar.

You want to talk coaching tree??? His is up there with anyone past or present. Riley, Dykes, Brilies, Kingsbury, Wilson, Heupel, Aranda and many many more. Did he give Welker his first shot at coaching, i cant remember?? His tree is extremely impressive when you talk about its reach.

Him and Hal Mumme changed not only offenses but how defenses would have play them. One of the winningest college coaches of all time. You look at some of the most explosive offenses in college and like a 1/5 of them come from Leach teams.

RIP legend

I just read a bit about him, what a unique guy and great mind he had, kind of a Charlie Weis vibe to his personality. Gone too young at 61. G-d bless and RIP

Man…just hate that. I’m a big SEC guy/Georgia fan and he was truly a treasure of a sound bite. Just hilarious and brilliant. Didn’t always agree with everything he said but he made you think, and laugh.

Heck of an offensive football mind.

You want to talk coaching tree??? His is up there with anyone past or present. Riley, Dykes, Brilies, Kingsbury, Wilson, Heupel, Aranda and many many more. Did he give Welker his first shot at coaching, i cant remember?? His tree is extremely impressive when you talk about its reach.
No; Welker just made his offense go the same way he did in Foxboro.

(And as an aside, if Leach gets to claim Riley as his "coaching tree," then Belichick gets to claim Kingsbury and O'Connell.)

Big loss for college football. Bigger loss for his family.

RIP, and may his family and friends find comfort in this time of sudden loss.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
He really was creative, often getting undersized but shifty WRs who were underrecruited or unrecruited (e.g., Welker, Amendola), spreading the field, and finding an underrecruited or unrecruited QB who might also not necessarily have the measurables but was both smart and accurate. A system for competing with 5* programs without 5* athletes of your own.

No; Welker just made his offense go the same way he did in Foxboro.

(And as an aside, if Leach gets to claim Riley as his "coaching tree," then Belichick gets to claim Kingsbury and O'Connell.)
Riley actually coached under Leach as a WR coach though.

Well I am sorry to say I am one the guys to say , never heard of him.....however , judging by the type of comments above it makes me immediately want to go and find out more about him......seems quite a character but sad news all the same.

If anyone isn’t familiar with him you should look up and watch as many interviews or press conferences with him as you can, he was hysterical, he didn’t take himself to serious and he had fun coaching college football.

It always amazed me that he had this type of offense and involved all the skill players and his play sheet was about the size of an index card.

One of those people who died before their time- way too soon. His is the kind of death that touches everyone.

A sad day.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back