Welcome to PatsFans.com

Seattle Seahawks agree to 4-year/$57.4M extension with Richard Sherman

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Brady6, May 7, 2014.

1. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,269 / 13 / -5

Yeah, but it is never good to have a lot of players among the highest paid players at their positions. Sherman is the highest. So is Thomas. Chancellor is up there. They also made Max Unger one of the highest paid centers. Russell Wilson will get one of the top QB contracts.

One of the reasons the Seahawks were so stacked last year was because they still had so much of their top talent playing under their rookie deals. By the end of next year, their three biggest names (Sherman, Thomas, and Wilson) will be among the highest paid players in the NFL at their position if not the highest.
  2. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +400 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Miguel

Ratings:
    +400 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Joel Corry just tweeted that Richard Sherman's '14 cap number is $3.631M. It's $12.2M in 15. His '16, '17 & '18 cap numbers are $14.769M, $13.631M & $13.2M.
  4. unoriginal

unoriginal Rookie

Ratings:
    +192 / 3 / -1

Gronkowski, Mankins, Revis, and Mayo are either 1 or 2 at their positions. Wilfork was.

CB, S, and QB are good positions to spend money, especially in Carroll's defense, which is predicated on using specifically-skilled CB, CB, FS to patrol the backend and give them +1 on the short field.

Since everybody overdrafts secondary players now for need, locking up the defensive backend will give them opportunities to get front seven players cheap in the draft. So long as Thomas, Sherman, and Wilson play at a high level, they'll do alright.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. luuked

luuked Rookie

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0

The one reason why I think this is a good move by the Seahawks is because once the cap starts increasing dramatically in the next years, salaries will also start to inflate and the 40M that look very high now will be maybe average for an elite CB.

Locking him up now, while everyone is still in the flat cap mindset might be economically very wise..
  6. Miguel

Ratings:
    +400 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Here is a screenshot of Richard Sherman's deal.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  7. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +51 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

[​IMG]

Per Florio: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...on-will-be-fully-guaranteed-within-21-months/

So keeping in mind that this extension doesn't change his 2014 base salary 57.43 / 5 = 11.49

What a crazy amount of guaranteed money though
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  8. Marqui

Marqui Rookie

Ratings:
    +202 / 9 / -1

So what did you want them to do, not sign their elite franchise players?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,700 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

I like both Manning & Sherman. Great competitors. Interesting guys, well at least Sherman is.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +1,269 / 13 / -5

Gronk's real contract doesn't actually begin until 2015. His deal only gave him a bonus to sign a long tern deal, but is still playing under his rookie deal or at least low money. If and when he gets his option bonus in 2015, that is when he becomes one of the top paid TEs. I don't think he counts. At least not for a few years.

I am not even sure Mayo is in the top 10 in terms of LBs contracts. His seven year contract is less than Patrick Willis' five year contract by a few hundred thousand (although Willis averages about $2.5 million a year more than Mayo and had far more of his contract guaranteed). Brian Cushing, Robert Mathis (he only signed a four year deal, but makes more per year), Clay Matthews, Trent Cole, Tamba Hali, Paul Kruger, Lawrence Timmons, and Navarro Bowman all make more money in either total money and/or per year average.

This year, only Mankins and Revis are in the top 5 in terms of contract. I don't even know if Brady is anymore. But then again, the Pats had to make sacrifices about letting players go because of some of these contracts.

Prior to this upcoming season, the Seahawks had most of their marquee stars on rookie deals which allowed them to fill a lot of holes other teams couldn't because many of their marquee contracts having
  11. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +1,269 / 13 / -5

I'm not saying they shouldn't have locked them up. I am saying that ultimately, it will hurt them in other areas of the team.

They benefitted last year from having all these guys on rookie deals. Going forward they are going to start to have holes and depth issues that they didn't have last year. If one of these guys go down, it could become a big issue. To think the Seahawks are going to stacked for the next four to five years is not necessarily the truth.
  12. JarOfMayo51

JarOfMayo51 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -1

Until one of (or both) them blows out their ACL, then you have like 25% of your cap in the ice tub
  13. MrNathanDrake

MrNathanDrake On the Roster

Ratings:
    +441 / 19 / -15

#95 Jersey

Some players performance declines after the big pay checks too...

Happens all the time.
  14. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +653 / 6 / -2

#95 Jersey

He doesn't strike me as a Shaun Alexander. Sherman is a VERY competitive guy
  15. unoriginal

unoriginal Rookie

Ratings:
    +192 / 3 / -1

Richard Sherman's real contract doesn't actually begin until 2015. His deal only gave him a bonus to sign an extension, still playing under the rookie deal etc. etc. He's something like a $3.5 million cap charge this year. I don't understand why you think Sherman's deal counts while Gronk's doesn't. Gronk has a $5.5 million cap charge this year and to this point he has been perpetually injured and unavailable.

I used overthecap.com for all my contract value comparisons.
    http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=43OLB
    You see Mayo is #1 by a healthy margin.

I think you are engaged in an exercise of wishful thinking. That you used Gronkowski's contract while ignoring that Sherman's deal is also an extension, in a thread ON Sherman's extension, tells me you're just expressing the hope Seattle falls off a cliff somehow. I don't think they've been any unwiser with their players and money than New England, and I would expect McCourty and (perhaps) Revis to each wind up with similar deals, provided the latter aces his try-out year like Sherman aced last year.
  16. Avenger

Avenger Rookie

Ratings:
    +80 / 4 / -1

#11 Jersey

That's only for 4-3 OLBs in the base package, if you look at all LBs there are about a half dozen higher, and in there are a dozen more that come really close to his. Most of the time we are in a 4-2-5 or some other sub package, making OLB/ILB less of a distinction.
  17. OhExaulted1

OhExaulted1 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +335 / 13 / -25

#15 Jersey

You hit that nail on the head sister. Brady owes him one. If we see him in the SB Brady will crucify him when he gets the chance. Tom never forgets disrespect. He'll be licking his chops.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. unoriginal

unoriginal Rookie

Ratings:
    +192 / 3 / -1

If you look at all LBs you mix in a lot of end-of-line players like Matthews, Hali and Mathis who are paid a premium because they are really rush ends, which is not what Mayo is. They have Julius Peppers as an LB.

You want to add ILBs to the mix, fine. That puts Mayo #2 behind Patrick Willis.
  19. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,051 / 6 / -23

#61 Jersey

Sherman is "interesting" for the wrong reasons and they all have to do with shooting his mouth off. This new contract certainly won't help matters. Another case in point today:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nfl-wouldnt-ban-a-donald-sterling-type-owner/

This guy is too comfortable stirring the racial pot for no reason other than provocatively calling attention to himself.
  20. Avenger

Avenger Rookie

Ratings:
    +80 / 4 / -1

#11 Jersey

I agree that most 3-4 linebackers are a different breed, most criticism Mayo gets is that he isn't an edge rusher which is why I brought that up, Mayo is a clearcut #2 behind Willis on the field, they are similar players so that is a good comparison. Mayo is a stud LB, he deserves his paycheck.