PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Season is over, how would you rate our 2016 Rookie Class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said before the draft that if you just pretend that the safety they take in the 6th or 7th round is really the first round pick, it'd feel like any other Belichick draft. So "C'mon Bill! You spent a 1st round pick on Jonathan Jones! He's a good special teamer, but WTF?!"

This might be the Personnel Department's best job in a decade of very good jobs by the personnel department. As if it was by design, BB replaced that stolen first rounder by grabbing first round and high 2nd round talent from other teams in Long, Van Noy, McClellin, Mingo and Rowe. Those are 5 athletes that were picked in the top 45 IIRC. Those weren't big names, or even popular names in their own cities, in fact most were far from that. But they were all top notch athletes who, for some reason, were underperforming where they were. They easily replace whatever the player Goodell/Irsay/Biscoiti ripped from our arms in their attempt to damage us.

Given what picks we had to work with, by the time they had been processed, even the most avid homer was, at best, underwhelmned. I was in denial about the entire process that I couldm't even bear to follow these rookies until well into TC.

So looking over overwhelming success of our draft picks, even CJones' disappointment is easily overcome, since the problem was less of a talent issue than one of mentality. And since his issue had nothing to do with effort or heart, I expect a big turnaround year from him next season. As to the rest, I never expected Tuney to be a starter right from OTA's, let alone a quality starter. Who exepected Brissett to contribute. Valentine? Who expected him to evolve into not only a player who captured a regular role, but one who could be trusted to start on a very good DL. All of us can't wait to watch Mitchell develop even further.
Roberts has gone from an afterthought to another guy with a regular role on the Defense. Karras made the team at 2 positions and can only get better with experience.

Lucien still incubates on the PS, while KGH, a particular binkie of mine, justifies his draft pick as a core member of the Philly ST's. And what puts this rookie class over the top is the fact that we mined the UDFA's for THREE players who have helped us this year and may again in the future, in Foster, JJones, and Hamilton. It's one thing for a bad team to find UDFA's to make their teams, but the Patriots are an ELITE orginization with a mature roster, and yet somehow every year, SOME player winds up in Foxboro and makes this team that everyone in the league had a shot at.

The fact that in a year where we were torn from our first pick, we manage to find THREE such players is just a great credit our FO. Jones has been a stellar contributor on ST's and an occasional contributor on defense has been a find. Besides he's a perfect fit into the CB midget mafia. Foster is a true Binky of mine. He's more Lewis than White, imho, and there is a reason he's stayed on the roster despite how deep down the depth chart he is. They know how good he is, and he WILL carve a place on this team in future years. And you can't have enough space eaters, especially as the pendulum starts to slowly swing toward the running game again. Woody did a good job in the time he had on the field and it was too bad he was injuried for the rest of the time he was on the roster.

Just a final note - In 2015 Trey Flowers was a draft pick that no one thought much of when it was made. He made just the briefest of impressions, got hurt, and quickly forgotten. Very few had high hopes for him this season, and look how it's turned out. He's literally become THE man over the final half of the season. So, my friends, don't be surprised if someone who didn't flash much in their rookie season, doesn't surprise use by becoming a key performer in the next.

C. Jones case isn't helped that when he makes a big mistake in PR/KR he's the only person on the TV screen.

This might be the Personnel Department's best job in a decade of very good jobs by the personnel department. As if it was by design, BB replaced that stolen first rounder by grabbing first round and high 2nd round talent from other teams in Long, Van Noy, McClellin, Mingo and Rowe. Those are 5 athletes that were picked in the top 45 IIRC. Those weren't big names, or even popular names in their own cities, in fact most were far from that. But they were all top notch athletes who, for some reason, were underperforming where they were. They easily replace whatever the player Goodell/Irsay/Biscoiti ripped from our arms in their attempt to damage us.

Given what picks we had to work with, by the time they had been processed, even the most avid homer was, at best, underwhelmned. I was in denial about the entire process that I couldm't even bear to follow these rookies until well into TC.

So looking over overwhelming success of our draft picks, even CJones' disappointment is easily overcome, since the problem was less of a talent issue than one of mentality. And since his issue had nothing to do with effort or heart, I expect a big turnaround year from him next season. As to the rest, I never expected Tuney to be a starter right from OTA's, let alone a quality starter. Who exepected Brissett to contribute. Valentine? Who expected him to evolve into not only a player who captured a regular role, but one who could be trusted to start on a very good DL. All of us can't wait to watch Mitchell develop even further.
Roberts has gone from an afterthought to another guy with a regular role on the Defense. Karras made the team at 2 positions and can only get better with experience.

Lucien still incubates on the PS, while KGH, a particular binkie of mine, justifies his draft pick as a core member of the Philly ST's. And what puts this rookie class over the top is the fact that we mined the UDFA's for THREE players who have helped us this year and may again in the future, in Foster, JJones, and Hamilton. It's one thing for a bad team to find UDFA's to make their teams, but the Patriots are an ELITE orginization with a mature roster, and yet somehow every year, SOME player winds up in Foxboro and makes this team that everyone in the league had a shot at.

The fact that in a year where we were torn from our first pick, we manage to find THREE such players is just a great credit our FO. Jones has been a stellar contributor on ST's and an occasional contributor on defense has been a find. Besides he's a perfect fit into the CB midget mafia. Foster is a true Binky of mine. He's more Lewis than White, imho, and there is a reason he's stayed on the roster despite how deep down the depth chart he is. They know how good he is, and he WILL carve a place on this team in future years. And you can't have enough space eaters, especially as the pendulum starts to slowly swing toward the running game again. Woody did a good job in the time he had on the field and it was too bad he was injuried for the rest of the time he was on the roster.

Just a final note - In 2015 Trey Flowers was a draft pick that no one thought much of when it was made. He made just the briefest of impressions, got hurt, and quickly forgotten. Very few had high hopes for him this season, and look how it's turned out. He's literally become THE man over the final half of the season. So, my friends, don't be surprised if someone who didn't flash much in their rookie season, doesn't surprise use by becoming a key performer in the next.

Add Floyd to the top pick acquisitions and C'revon LeBlanc, who stuck with the Bears all season, but the Pats had no room for, among the UDFA haul and it looks even better.

malcolm mcdowell, looney tunes, vincent vega....pretty good I'd say

Well that is something that needs to be revisited later. Obviously draft grades change as time comes and goes. I never called Collins a game changer or suggested he was at that level. I hoped for it and projected it but i always said about Collins you see it in short streaks and then it disappears and that his issue is something mental. I was quick every year to bring the Collins talk down to earth. When he played well I said he did and when he did not i said that as well. I thought he was really really good at the end of his 2nd year and for a stretch in his 3rd but then it fizzled and it was inconsistent again.

Since you don't like my terminology let me use this. Instead of "game changing force" I will say if you don't draft a potential future HOFer i can't give you an A or A+. We won't know that till later but i think you get a feel pretty soon if that might have happened for most positions besides QB.

I don't think we did this draft. That is why i gave an A-. Also just a side note. You generally should not presume to speculate what someone thinks or doesn't think about said player and use it as an argument. I didn't care for you putting words in my mouth that i never said. No biggie but just something i wanted to throw out.

Yeah .. it was nothing personal really (when I threw in Collins it was not about your perception of him since I don't really know - it was a general perception “you“) .. and nothing against terminology, god forbid, actually kind of liked the expressiveness of it. Just wanted to make some points:

1. you don't draft “future game changing force“ or HOFer or whatever-the-tag .. you make them .. on the practice field (sometimes you make them out of 1st overall, sometimes 199, even UDFAs .. sometimes in a year, few years, on a reclamation project etc)

2. “Draft is not about collecting talent but creating a TEAM“ (flashy tags & awards make sense only if a player makes part of a winning TEAM. If a Pro-bowler plays on a 1-15 team .. f.e. Thomas or Collins .. it means they are not really game changers .. they might have potential .. but its of no use..)

Evaluating draft should take in consideration the contribution of the players to the team (thats why after-draft evaluations are so ridiculous and always wrong) .. and put it in context of draft capital.

I think BB&co made this one A-mazing.

B+..but could easily rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back