PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Source close to Patriots says he'd be "stunned" if New England traded Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Franchise JG at 22m? No, that's not crazy.

Best trade him now for a bevy of picks and make a final 3 or 4 years run with Brady, rather than think you can somehow keep him waiting in the wings. He's going to want to play.

Not enough evidence to proclaim he's a Brady heir yet anyway.

I have no problem with this kind of thinking/strategy. If Garappolo is truly a franchise qb (and Brissett after another year's look isnt looking like he's going to be a starter) then I'd hate to let Garappolo go even with the cap implications.

I say this with the perhaps naive suspicion that both Brady and Garappolo would play for high backup qb wages in order to finish/start his career here.

It does assume a lot. Namely that Garappolo might be willing to play the Rodgers to Brady's Favre and that the two of them would be willing to take on a combination of wages not adding up to more than say 24 or 25 million or perhaps a little more.

Still, you are right in that Garappolo won't receive the snaps here to even know for sure he's worth the 12m per year. In that the coaches would have be confident they have another franchise qb in him.

Oddly my way of thinking might be more conservative but yours could end up the "safer" of the two.
Rodgers only sat behind Farve for 3 years, just like JG as of this season, and the Packers literally forced Farve into retirement because they KNEW it was now or never for Rodgers, just like JG is with Brady. So actually you are right, except Brady is playing better than Farve at the time, and is still the best QB the Pats can have for the next couple of years at least.

Pats can demand all they want but it depends how the FA market plays out and how the draft board falls to determine if the get a 1st rounder for Jimmy.
And if teams are stupid enough to not pony up for Grop I am perfectly content keeping him for a year. The year of a high quality back up and a chance to franchise him for my 40 year old QB is worth more then an under top 15 pick IMO.

a 1st round pick is not going to impact this organization more than a top QB in the league. If they consider Jimmy G a top QB, they have to find a way to keep him. They don't grow on trees. Brady probably has a good 3 years left...then what? What if Brady starts to get some ailments in misses some time over the next 3 years...they need a guy like Jimmy that can hold down the fort and actually win games in this league.

Actually Game of Thrones is my safe place. Madam Secretary is where I go to watch how the department of state SHOULD work.

I know John Kerry from the 70s and feel your pain. :)

But how can you of all people watch GOT?
The author is a raving Jets Fan who HATES the Patriots.

Ken...Jets Fan! I have to go wash out my mouth, er typing fingers.

Even in College Cassel was a back up with no real resume to go on. He had one very good season with the Patriots, but he had a good cast to throw the ball to as well. I agree with you 100%.
With JG at least he was a starter in College, but I don't think I would give a first rounder for him, but my reasoning I think is pretty sound. I wouldn't give a first for him not this year anyway, because I would want to build around him. Compliment him with a receiver or a RB (if I didn't already have one) or to me, more importantly an Offensive Line that will protect him and keep my potential franchise QB clean.
In Cassel's defense he was the backup at USC to two Heisman trophy winning QBs in Palmer and Leinart. Not for nothing, but JG was the starter at a school that isn't even in the same realm as USC when it comes to preparing NFL players.
I agree that JG was better in college, but I don't think it is a fair comparison.

He is actually a raving Giants fan and loves to post about how much the Pats and BB cheat. He should just finish his books.

a 1st round pick is not going to impact this organization more than a top QB in the league. If they consider Jimmy G a top QB, they have to find a way to keep him. They don't grow on trees. Brady probably has a good 3 years left...then what? What if Brady starts to get some ailments in misses some time over the next 3 years...they need a guy like Jimmy that can hold down the fort and actually win games in this league.
It could be possible that after the three years mentioned above that Jacoby could be winning games in this league.
I think it is an easy decision. If BB gets the draft capital he needs, JG is gone. If no team offers enough, he will keep JG. It is on JG to beat out Brady for the starting job if he is kept after 2017.
My entire issue with keeping JG and paying him is I don't see him beating out a 40 or 41 year old Brady, he just isn't better than TB12. I am sure JG could be better than a 43 year old Brady, but the decision will have already been made.

Sure GRRM might hate the Patriots, but he also couldn't help but immortalize Belichick by giving him headspace/cameo in his books.

The death of Triarch Belicho the Volantene patriot at the hands of giants might have only been an exaggeration. :)

I had NO idea, PWP. Now I have to rethink my entire value system, because my back would be "the Vikings" or the Big Bang Theory. How are we supposed to feel about Vikings and nerds????????????? Help its a half hour before game time and I'm in the midst of an existential crisis. :eek: ......... ;)

If there's a bidding war between them, Chicago, San Fran, and Cleveland, and Cleveland won't offer the #1 overall, Jax could make the bold move and offer a top 3. Let's assume they have the #3 pick. Allen and Garrett are off the board. Who do they take? Kizer or Trubisky for a QB? :rolleyes: Leonard Fournette at RB (they don't need a RB and adding another won't move the needle at all for them).

If I were Shad Khan (I'd first shave off that weird looking mustache :rolleyes:), then I'd do that deal. Get the QB then entice Josh McDaniels to take the head coaching job or lure Tom Coughlin out of retirement.

Again, what do you have to lose?
That would be the perfect scenario.

Glennon is in the mix too but I don't think hes as good as Jimmy.

And if teams are stupid enough to not pony up for Grop I am perfectly content keeping him for a year. The year of a high quality back up and a chance to franchise him for my 40 year old QB is worth more then an under top 15 pick IMO.

We saw 1st hand what a high-quality backup is worth.

This year it was worth 2 wins and if he was healthy most likely 4 wins.

I had NO idea, PWP. Now I have to rethink my entire value system, because my back would be "the Vikings" or the Big Bang Theory. How are we supposed to feel about Vikings and nerds????????????? Help its a half hour before game time and I'm in the midst of an existential crisis. :eek: ......... ;)

Too be fair hes a very casual fan who also roots for the Giants.

Since all personnel decision are BB's, anyone who would have real knowledge over this matter is someone close to him. And I highly doubt BB would confide his plans to anybody, specially because no one can demand to know about this sort of thing in New England

This information is very useless, IMO. If someone had asked BB about Garoppolo's status, I bet he would never answer "yeah, we are looking to trade him". That doesn't match BB's personality and is a terrible business strategy, since it would most likely drive the price down.

It is obvious that Garoppolo is in the market for a trade. As it is obvious that we are not going to trade him for anything at all. (EDIT: By Anything at all I mean for a cheap price. DAMN YOU SECOND LANGUAGE)
The report doesn't say they made a decision the report says someone close to the patriots would be surprised.
Someone close could be felger, Reiss, a former player, etc, and all they are saying is they would be surprised based on their opinion of what they think BB would do.

@Miguel is convinced that that would be a reasonable ask for Jimmy Garppolo. And I agree...if the Vikings would give up their 1st and 4th round pick for Sam freakin' Bradford, then why would it be unfair to expect the same for Jimmy G?

How does Miguel saying a 1st and mid round = he is convinced JG is worth 2 firsts or a first and a second??

Ken,
Please step away from the radio for your own mental health.
Use Madam Secretary as your safe space for the next 4, maybe 8 years.
Happy Holidays!

He'll be watching reruns then.

Now that the U.S. was saved from unconstitutional Billary tyranny, the whole point of that series (promoting Billary to the uninformed) has gone and the series will have a demise, the same way that Occupy Wallstreet went away as soon as Romney was defeated, the anti war movement/code pinks went away once bush lost, and so many other Demo-Hollywood productions come-go right before elections, etc etc

(On topic post):
IF this turns out to be a good year for TB and he packs in another BB trophy (just rename it already ;) ), he could potentially decide to retire (5 is enough to put Montana clearly in spot #2 to all). I think you clearly don't go into the offseason looking to trade him because of that possibility even if we all think is slim.

But if you are going to move him, you get more value this offseason before the draft, rather than after TC starts, or during season, or as a franchised player next year. So that does put you in a quandary.

I think the key really is . . .what does BB think about Brissett? If you see him take some snaps over JAG in the fish game, I think that would be an indicator they are earnestly considering trading JAG this year. Learning if Brisket is close enough to cover down on TB [for] 1-2 more years [then take over].

If they give Brissett no time, I think JAG stays as insurance for another year and that [they] eat (view) the depreciated value as the ins premium for the most important position (after coach) on the team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back