PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Source close to Patriots says he'd be "stunned" if New England traded Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned many times, I wouldn't be opposed to see JG go after this season, I'm sure he wants a big payday and since this years QB class is weak I think he might want to be traded for an opportunity to start now and get paid. I mean if I was JG I'd pick the money. Of course everyone's situation is different.

But if we get a late 1st round or even a top 2nd round pick for JG I'd take that deal 100%!

I think after the next pre season games I will have full confidence that if Brady god forbid goes down that Brissett would be able to carry the team on his shoulders.

Also let's not forget Brissett looks so much more comfortable in the pocket than JG, JG has tendencies to start dancing around too much like he is Big Ben.

Useless report from Schefter.

Lombardi would count as a "close source to Patriots", yet he thinks the opposite will happen.

Lombardi also thinks a team will offer a king's ransom for Jimmy..

lol there is not a chance that is happening. We could trade the over all number 10 pick and get maybe a later 1st rounder and maybe a 3rd rounder. But we are not getting a top 10 pick and there 2nd round pick. That would be pick #10 and #33.

If Jimmy G played all 4 games and continued to light it up and put up 8-9 TD's and no picks I could see them getting a 1st and a 2nd. But he played less than a game and a half... He looked great but that is a very small amount of tape to grade him. Not to mention his toughness and durability could be an issue.

How many games did Goff and Wentz play in the NfL to merit the kings ransom the Rams and Eagles gave up for them?

If I'm Cleveland. I'd trade the Eagles 1st and one of their second rd picks (I believe they have multiple) for Jimmy. They take the best defensive prospect in the draft since Von Miller (Myles Garrett) #1 and take a promising QB in Jimmy. Jimmy G is ready.

I'd like to think Belichick appreciates Jimmy too much to ruin his life by making him a Cleveland Brown.

Please Bill, Jimmy is a young man who didn't do anything to you. Please don't throw him onto the trash pile

If I'm the Pats, I wouldn't entertain an offer that doesn't include at least a first.

There might be a durability concern with Jimmy...Might. But he knows the system. And he was lighting it up before that injury.

We are in a beautiful position. We don't need to trade Jimmy just for the sake of trading him. If BB doesn't receive a decent offer we can always keep him. I feel Jimmy is a franchise QB. And those haven't been growing on tree's lately.

Let's also stop comparing Jimmy to Cassell. Cassell did his job, but he was never the prospect Jimmy is.

I don't believe Josh was offering a 1st for Cassel. If he was BB would have shipped him there.
Even in College Cassel was a back up with no real resume to go on. He had one very good season with the Patriots, but he had a good cast to throw the ball to as well. I agree with you 100%.
With JG at least he was a starter in College, but I don't think I would give a first rounder for him, but my reasoning I think is pretty sound. I wouldn't give a first for him not this year anyway, because I would want to build around him. Compliment him with a receiver or a RB (if I didn't already have one) or to me, more importantly an Offensive Line that will protect him and keep my potential franchise QB clean.

Even in College Cassel was a back up with no real resume to go on. He had one very good season with the Patriots, but he had a good cast to throw the ball to as well. I agree with you 100%.
With JG at least he was a starter in College, but I don't think I would give a first rounder for him, but my reasoning I think is pretty sound. I wouldn't give a first for him not this year anyway, because I would want to build around him. Compliment him with a receiver or a RB (if I didn't already have one) or to me, more importantly an Offensive Line that will protect him and keep my potential franchise QB clean.

Yea it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. For 6 quarters Jimmy performed like a 1st Rd talent. Until the QB market developes it is an open question to what his value really is.

If I was the pats GM I would tell anyone that calls the price starts at a top 15 first rounder. Anything less then that I am keeping the best back up in the NFL for my 40 year old QB and not regretting it for a millisecond. What if Brady misses a game or two to injury, or knock on wood it is football gets injured enough to retire. I would be quite content to keep Grop for another year To be insured against any of those situations so unless you blow me away with an offer I am keeping him. Then let them make you offers and play the 3-5 bad teams who need a QB off each other = profit. Most years I think Grop is only worth a top 15 pick, THIS year with the cheap year left on his contract and the total lack of anything resembling a franchise QB to draft or trade I think the pats get a top 15 plus

If I was the pats GM I would tell anyone that calls the price starts at a top 15 first rounder. Anything less then that I am keeping the best back up in the NFL for my 40 year old QB and not regretting it for a millisecond. What if Brady misses a game or two to injury, or knock on wood it is football gets injured enough to retire. I would be quite content to keep Grop for another year To be insured against any of those situations so unless you blow me away with an offer I am keeping him. Then let them make you offers and play the 3-5 bad teams who need a QB off each other = profit. Most years I think Grop is only worth a top 15 pick, THIS year with the cheap year left on his contract and the total lack of anything resembling a franchise QB to draft or trade I think the pats get a top 15 plus

Top 15 pick easily

It just comes down to the offers, if they are good enough they will trade him. I would hold out for a top ten pick and I think Cleveland will offer their second but will be forced to give up the second of their first rounders. If the Browns took the best defensive player in the draft at #1 overall, traded for Garrapolo, resigned Pryor, and addressed RB with the first pick of the second round they would be on the right track for 2017.

Pats can demand all they want but it depends how the FA market plays out and how the draft board falls to determine if the get a 1st rounder for Jimmy.

i feel different between today's situation (Garoppolo) compared to the Matt Cassel one...
only if a tremendous offer for Jimmy is done ok...otheriwise i think that he could be the future...

What about Jacksonville? They'll have a top 3 pick and nothing to loose. They might be a decent team if they had a real coach and QB. Offer their #1 pick for Jimmy G and make a fat offer to Josh McD in the offseason.

In that weak division they play in, they might become instantly competitive.

Seriously, why not from their perspective?

What about Jacksonville? They'll have a top 3 pick and nothing to loose. They might be a decent team if they had a real coach and QB. Offer their #1 pick for Jimmy G and make a fat offer to Josh McD in the offseason.

In that weak division they play in, they might become instantly competitive.

Seriously, why not from their perspective?

Depending how the market develops, I think it's possible Jimmy lands a mid 1st rounder but I'd be shocked if they land a top 3 pick for him.

Pats might need to kick in their 1st as well.

Then BB will trade that pick for 19 picks over the next 2 years.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: ALP
JG has shown he can excel in this offense & it is very unlikely the Pats will find a successor for Brady that can play at JG's level. IMHO, trading JG when Brady is about to turn 40, would be a franchise altering mistake, one that would limit the Pat's championship window to Brady's career.

Now we all want to believe that Brady & his avocado ice cream, has found the fountain of youth, but the reality is that every other QB that has ever played in the NFL has dropped off the cliff just before or shortly after turning 40.

Hoping Brady can maintain his current level of play for the next 5 years is a fairy tale. The smart move here is keep JG under his rookie contract, franchise him next year & give him the starting role in 2018. This may well mean that they'll win fewer games in 2018 & the pink hats will go nuts, but this approach will almost assuredly result in more wins over the next 5 years.

I think everyone is underestimating how hard it is to find a QB like JG. You just don't let young talent at that position slip out of your hands.

Last edited:
Depending how the market develops, I think it's possible Jimmy lands a mid 1st rounder but I'd be shocked if they land a top 3 pick for him.

Pats might need to kick in their 1st as well.

Then BB will trade that pick for 19 picks over the next 2 years.

If there's a bidding war between them, Chicago, San Fran, and Cleveland, and Cleveland won't offer the #1 overall, Jax could make the bold move and offer a top 3. Let's assume they have the #3 pick. Allen and Garrett are off the board. Who do they take? Kizer or Trubisky for a QB? :rolleyes: Leonard Fournette at RB (they don't need a RB and adding another won't move the needle at all for them).

If I were Shad Khan (I'd first shave off that weird looking mustache :rolleyes:), then I'd do that deal. Get the QB then entice Josh McDaniels to take the head coaching job or lure Tom Coughlin out of retirement.

Again, what do you have to lose?

Is he worth a Bradford return (1st, 4th), an RGINT return (3 1sts, 2nd), a Schaub return (2 2nds, 1st round swap), etc...? That depends on the market and, no offense, but you don't know what JAG's value is.

Bradford has commanded high value because of his draft pedigree and the hope that his career has not progressed due to bad management in poor organizations. (Otherwise, how he has been traded so many times for so much baffles me to the core of my beliefs).

RG3 was an overhyped draft prospect, and teams always give up more for an overhyped draft prospect than an established vet.

Schaub's return is probably closer to JG's actual trade value. Both were smaller school prospects and fringe 1st round talents. Both had success in short replacement stints. Shaub's haul was pretty decent, the pick swap from #10 to #8 is the equivalent of a high 4th rounded. Two 2nds and a 4th is decent, it amounts to the value of a pick in the 12 - 15 range.

Still, I believe that JG's value to the Patriots is assessed at a greater number than pick #12 - 15.

JG has shown he can excel in this offense & it is very unlikely the Pats will find a successor for Brady that can play at JG's level. IMHO, trading JG when Brady is about to turn 40, would be a franchise altering mistake, one that would limit the Pat's championship window to Brady's career.

Now we all want to think that Brady & his avocado ice cream, has found the fountain of youth, but the reality is that every other QB that has every played in the NFL has dropped off the cliff just before or shortly after turning 40.

Hoping Brady can maintain his current level of play for the next 5 years is a fairy tale. The smart move here is keep JG under his rookie contract, franchise him next year & give him the starting role in 2018. This may well mean that they'll win fewer games in 2018 & the pink hats will go nuts, but this approach will almost assuredly result in more wins over the next 5 years.

I think everyone is underestimating how hard it is to find a QB like JG. You just don't let young talent at that position slip out of your hands.

I never thought about it that way before, 1 year already under contract and one under franchise tag...so two more seasons after this one. It's possible that's Brady's limit. That last year though you're paying hell of a lot to QBs. And then say Brady retires and jimmy takes over would require big money contract for someone who still hasn't proved anything during regular season long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back