PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Source close to Patriots says he'd be "stunned" if New England traded Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Adam Schefter: Person close to team would be ‘stunned’ if Patriots traded Jimmy Garoppolo
Quarterbacks expected to be available this offseason include Colin Kaepernick, Jay Cutler and Romo. Yet the quarterbacks who likely will draw the most interest are New England's backup Jimmy Garoppolo, Cincinnati's backup AJ McCarron and Tampa Bay's backup Mike Glennon, none of whom were first-round picks. Garoppolo, McCarron and Glennon are all 27 or under and possess what personnel people perceive to be great upside.

Glennon is an unrestricted free agent and could fetch $13-15 million per year on his next deal -- maybe more depending on the number of teams bidding. Both Garappolo and McCarron are under contract for 2017, so interested teams will have to broker a trade, which might not be easy with the Vikings and Eagles establishing a steep quarterback trade market this past offseason. The Patriots will want a lot, as will the Bengals. And just last week, one person close to the Patriots said he would be "stunned" if New England traded Garoppolo. The interest from other teams will be there, but so will the interest to retain him to try to ensure a successful transition from Brady to Garoppolo.

Given the weak QB class in the 2017 draft (and Brady showing no sign of decline) I'd be very surprised if the Pats didn't deal Garoppolo.

But as I've said in the past... Garoppolo is a solid talent and Brady's decline might come sooner than we realize. In which case, keeping Jimmy for another season on the final year of his rookie contract, could make sense from an insurance perspective.

Hard to imagine Brady slowing down.....but you never know

Last edited:
This report probably means they are trading him away tomorrow, right before the game..... :rolleyes:

But in all seriousness, I really do believe they keep him for another year and see where everything stands.

If the brown's want him so bad they would give us a nice package. I would ask for the eagles pick and their 2018 first round pick. It's alot but they have tons of picks this year.

I don't see why two firsts, or a first and a second, are unreasonable for Garoppolo. Assuming they are willing to deal.

Since all personnel decision are BB's, anyone who would have real knowledge over this matter is someone close to him. And I highly doubt BB would confide his plans to anybody, specially because no one can demand to know about this sort of thing in New England

This information is very useless, IMO. If someone had asked BB about Garoppolo's status, I bet he would never answer "yeah, we are looking to trade him". That doesn't match BB's personality and is a terrible business strategy, since it would most likely drive the price down.

It is obvious that Garoppolo is in the market for a trade. As it is obvious that we are not going to trade him for anything at all. (EDIT: By Anything at all I mean for a cheap price. DAMN YOU SECOND LANGUAGE)

Last edited:
He might even get extended here this offseason, and yea I'm not surpised they are not trading him, I mean with Brady being 40 next year say if Brady were to miss a few games or two who would you feel more comfortable holding it down in the mean time Jimmy or Jacoby? Obviously Jimmy considering how he played before he got hurt especially doing what he did without Gronk now imagine if he had him, the Arizona game would not have been as close and the Miami blowout would been bigger

I don't see why two firsts, or a first and a second, are unreasonable for Garoppolo. Assuming they are willing to deal.

@Miguel is convinced that that would be a reasonable ask for Jimmy Garppolo. And I agree...if the Vikings would give up their 1st and 4th round pick for Sam freakin' Bradford, then why would it be unfair to expect the same for Jimmy G?

Last edited:
Depends on the deal. Personally I don't see the point of trading Jimmy if it doesn't net a sizable return. I have said before 3000 draft points is what I would like but I would settle for 2000 if we can get that (even it involves us taking a little less and turning it into that via trades which isn't too hard). Anything less is not worth discussing.

Also people that say "first round pick" need to remember the first round is generally 3 tiers of talent. I am not trading Jimmy for a single 2nd tier talent. No way. I want a first tier guy or multiple 2nd tier guys.

Shef is reporting that the source would be stunned.

Not sure why this is newsworthy

This to me sounds like the standard "use the media for leverage" operation.

Pats: we want to trade Jimmy G and get the whole Bat Cave for him. Do what you must.

Media: Someone from the Pats told us they do not want to trade Jimmy.

Bears, Browns, 49ers: "you're not trading him??? Not even for a 1st, 3rd and a 2nd next year???"

Pats: ok, you've twisted our arm, you win.

You don't? Garoppolo has 91 career passing attempts and plays in an offense that is unique and which facilitates success at the QB position. It's not like JG was a sure-fire star with rare athleticism coming out school, ala Aaron Rodgers. You think a team would part with a first and a second for a guy who looked good for six quarters before getting injured on a routine play?

Who's going to give Glennon $13-15M a year?! I always thought he was wasted on the bench in Tampa but my impression was that the league views him much less favorably. Or at least the Bucs.

This report probably means they are trading him away tomorrow, right before the game..... :rolleyes:

But in all seriousness, I really do believe they keep him for another year and see where everything stands.

Oh for sure, but the Pats are coming into the 2017 draft needing to 1) make up for the 1st rounder that was denied them by the NFL* and 2) replenish the talent of current players who will become Free Agents and likely sign with other teams (e.g. Loyan Ryan)

You don't? Garoppolo has 91 career passing attempts and plays in an offense that is unique and which facilitates success at the QB position. It's not like JG was a sure-fire star with rare athleticism coming out school, ala Aaron Rodgers. You think a team would part with a first and a second for a guy who looked good for six quarters before getting injured on a routine play?

I still would take him over any QB coming up in this 2017 class. Also we have seen teams give up the farm for lesser QBs. Browns have the picks to acquire jimmy but if they want to take the unc quarterback than go ahead.

There are 7 teams in the top 15 picks with serious qb questions in a historically bad qb draft.

I would be stunned if JimmyG offers don't encourage the Pats to move on from him.

You are 100% correct.

I don't think there is enough evidence to say Jimmy G is worth a 1st rd pick.

However because teams have not been trying to trade for him we don't know what his worth is on the market because there isn't one-yet.

Didn't he also say Cassel wasn't going anywhere?

Adam Schefter: Person close to team would be ‘stunned’ if Patriots traded Jimmy Garoppolo

Given the weak QB class in the 2017 draft (and Brady showing no sign of decline) I'd be very surprised if the Pats didn't deal Garoppolo.

But as I've said in the past... Garoppolo is a solid talent and Brady's decline might come sooner than we realize. In which case, keeping Jimmy for another season on the final year of his rookie contract, could make sense from an insurance perspective.

Hard to imagine Brady slowing down.....but you never know
He might decline but he could also lose a season or a few games to injury, too. Superbowl contenders need good depth at the most important position on a Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back