PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Source close to Patriots says he'd be "stunned" if New England traded Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
But situations may not allow for Jacoby to get time so we can't read too much into it. Let's see.
Also this is his year one. Pats will take the risk with him IF they think he'll develop.
They'll need to be strongly motivated by a #1 and a #2 the next year.

But situations may not allow for Jacoby to get time so we can't read too much into it. Let's see.
Also this is his year one. Pats will take the risk with him IF they think he'll develop.
They'll need to be strongly motivated by a #1 and a #2 the next year.

ok, but If the faders lose and nothing is at risk next week or they are up in 1st half by (like today was ) 3+ TDs? In that sit, if they pull TB to protect for playoffs--I am intrigued to see who goes in. IMO, JAG = practice insurance plan for playoffs. Brissett =JAG is on the table, what will you give?.

I say this with the perhaps naive suspicion that both Brady and Garappolo would play for high backup qb wages in order to finish/start his career here.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I'd lose a lot of respect for JG (and doubt his intelligence) if he did that.

The other problem with your scenario is Brady's current contract. That cap hit isn't going away without a non-trivial-length extension.

The smart move here is keep JG under his rookie contract, franchise him next year & give him the starting role in 2018. This may well mean that they'll win fewer games in 2018 & the pink hats will go nuts, but this approach will almost assuredly result in more wins over the next 5 years.

In the abstract I actually think that's not completely crazy.

However, we have to deal with the actual state of the world. So. How do you plan to do that with Brady's contract? Cutting or trading Brady means a cap hit of over $10mil (more like $15). And there's no way in hell the team is going to blow their cap plan to hell by paying two QBs starting QB money. And JG (or at least his agent) can't possibly be dumb enough to not sign for starting QB money.

Hoping Brady can maintain his current level of play for the next 5 years is a fairy tale. The smart move here is keep JG under his rookie contract, franchise him next year & give him the starting role in 2018. This may well mean that they'll win fewer games in 2018 & the pink hats will go nuts, but this approach will almost assuredly result in more wins over the next 5 years.

Who knew JAG's mom posted here?

I think you stick with Brady and trade JG for picks. If Jaromír Jágr can play pro hockey into his mid 40's then Brady can most definitely play QB into his mid 40's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back