PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Patriots trade Maroney to Denver for 2011 4th - Broncos get 2011 6 [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Schefter: Patriots trade Maroney to Denver for 2011 4th - Broncos get 2011 6 [mer

Not so fast, if Maroney is great out there in Denver, then people will be asking why BB couldn't harness his great talent...

BB: Well, our OL is set to pass block, not run block. The AFC West sucks, and the Denver schedule isn't very impressive. Also Maroney doesn't have to make reads out there. The coaches out there don't mind if he dances and doesn't get plus yardage on a lot of plays...

I'm interested to see how he does out in Denver, but what's done is done. No point in dragging it up if he does well, except in response to people claiming that he sucks at least.

+1, -3, +4, +4, -1, +6, -2, +5, -2, +31 - it's still 4.5 YPC.

A RB that gets 4+ yards on 50% of carries isn't a bad thing. Of course, Maroney's distribution looks nothing like that. He carries for a loss with about the same frequency as BJGE and Sammy Morris, and when's the last time you saw him bust a 30 yard run?

Last edited:
Re: Schefter: Patriots trade Maroney to Denver for 2011 4th - Broncos get 2011 6 [mer

Quote of the day! :D

It was true.

NE got a 4th for Maroney helping the team.

Last edited:

It wasn't a waste of a first round pick.

Only because NE salvaged a 4th pick out of the fiasco.

Not so fast, if Maroney is great out there in Denver, then people will be asking why BB couldn't harness his great talent...

BB: Well, our OL is set to pass block, not run block. The AFC West sucks, and the Denver schedule isn't very impressive. Also Maroney doesn't have to make reads out there. The coaches out there don't mind if he dances and doesn't get plus yardage on a lot of plays...
+1, -3, +4, +4, -1, +6, -2, +5, -2, +31 - it's still 4.5 YPC.

Do we have to go over this over and over and over again? His entire career Maroney has been one of the best backs in the league at not loosing yardage.

He's also been terrible at getting long runs.

This whole "he dances and then breaks one long run" is absolutely counter to reality.

YESS goodbye Maroney!! you will not be missed!

I am just thankful that we won't have to listen to anymore Maroney debates.

That will take a long time to die.

That will take a long time to die.

Just like Adam Sweard ;)

And Gary Coleman, too soon?

I don't know how there could be any more debates about LoMo...Many of us thought he sucked,Bruschi and Brown his teammates for several years thought he sucked and now BB thinks he sucks because he choose a virtual street guy to play for us instead of the highly touted 2006 first rounder.

I guess according to some in here that Belichick was wrong to keep BJGE and toss Maroney in the middle of the season for a semi-low round draft pick :rolleyes:

A RB that gets 4+ yards on 50% of carries isn't a bad thing. Of course, Maroney's distribution looks nothing like that. He carries for a loss with about the same frequency as BJGE and Sammy Morris, and when's the last time you saw him bust a 30 yard run?

According to Football Outsiders, last year Maroney was the 11th most successful back at picking up "needed yards", doing so 52% of the time (needed yards being 40% first down/60% second down/100% third and fourth down).

Only because NE salvaged a 4th pick out of the fiasco.

It wouldn't have been a waste regardless of the return.

According to Football Outsiders, last year Maroney was the 11th most successful back at picking up "needed yards", doing so 52% of the time (needed yards being 40% first down/60% second down/100% third and fourth down).

Don't worry about it, BradyFTW! just makes **** up.

I think people should stop arguing over a player that has now left us.

He has gone, let it be!

I suppose people are arguing as much as they can about LoMo because in 6 months it would be odd to bring it up ;)

Don't worry about it, BradyFTW! just makes **** up.

That breakdown that you referenced, about how Maroney actually doesn't get stopped for a loss any more than our other RBs? I'm the one who did it. I also spoke with Aaron Schatz (the creator of Football Outsiders) at some length about Maroney. But yeah, by all means, stick with the "BradyFTW! just makes **** up" explanation. Kinda strange, though, since we're arguing literally the same point.

Last edited:

That breakdown that you referenced, about how Maroney actually doesn't get stopped for a loss any more than our other RBs? I'm the one who did it. I also talked with Aaron Schatz (the creator of FootballOutsiders) at some length about Maroney. But yeah, by all means, stick with the "BradyFTW! just makes **** up" explanation ;)

Then you clearly did it incorretly, because this is just absolutely untrue:

He carries for a loss with about the same frequency as BJGE and Sammy Morris, and when's the last time you saw him bust a 30 yard run?

Maroney's success rate has been consistently 4 or 5 percent higher than Morris's. BJGE has been slightly higher than Maroney's in smaller sample, but his VOA/DVOA have been drastically lower.

Last edited:

Then you clearly did it incorretly, because this is just absolutely untrue:

Maroney's success rate has been consistently 4 or 5 percent higher than Morris's. BJGE has been slightly higher than Maroney's in smaller sample, but his VOA/DVOA have been drastically lower.

How in the hell did you get "Morris's DVOA and success rate are comparable to Maroney's" out of what I said? Maroney *does* carry for a loss with roughly the same frequency of our other RBs (which is not the same as success rate, maybe you should go and look up what that actually means), and the 59-0 Titans romp was the first time since before 2007 that I could remember him breaking a 30+ yard run. Feel free to explain which part of that I'm making up.

Since you're obviously mistaken here, feel free to point out any other time where I've "just made **** up", because I'm kinda curious how you managed to come to that conclusion.

Last edited:

Oh well. Maroney stunk. Period.
Some of you guys need to man up.

Good point on the former team mate giving up on him. I forgot Troy Brown's surprise cut mention a few weeks back.

But then, why now?? As others have opined, the team certainly knows more about Maroney than we possibly could. BJGE has been with us for a couple of years now and so it's not as if we suddenly got a new RB.

So why wasn't Maroney traded during the off season when we could have entertained other offers? maybe we did and nothing was forthcoming...

I am disappointed because I am sure the Pats did their homework when they drafted him that high and so can't stomach a fourth-round pick in return.

IMO, he was a decent back though not outstanding. With the new TEs this year who might block better, I was hoping he would prove the naysers wrong this season given his speed.

sigh...and life goes on...

Why now? Peak value. They cut him in camp they get nothing. He goes after the season they get a comp pick in 2012 or 2013 that could equal the same value but likely won't. They trade him after game 1 and on the cusp of Ryan Grant getting hurt and out for the year gives them that something that they otherwise wouldn't have gotten...at least not this upcoming draft and not at the same value Denver was willing to give.

Oh well. Maroney stunk. Period.
Some of you guys need to man up.

I like this :D

What I learned from Synovia today: when you attack someone's credibility, then are quickly proven wrong, the best response is to pretend it didn't happen and hope nobody noticed. Oh well, random hostility and no accountability is pretty much par for the course from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe