Welcome to PatsFans.com

Schefter: Belichick to devote more time to offense

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BPF, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BPF

BPF Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Not sure if this has been posted. I'm extremely busy today and haven't been able to properly check but it's something we all kind of thought would take place.

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Expect Belichick to devote time to offense

2. ScottieC

ScottieC Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Sounds like the same sitz when Weiss left... BB will do a good job..
  4. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

Yeah, it'll be nice to see BB actually, you know, looking at the offense while it's on the field. :)
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  5. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -2

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    We may see a little bit of a dropoff here. According to pro-football-reference.com, the offense was ranked 4th in the NFL with Weis at the helm. In 2005, with BB sharing duties with McDaniels, the offense was ranked 10th. Still pretty good, but a noticeable dropoff from the year before. How much that had to do with injuries, I'm not sure. All I know is that McDaniels was pretty good at what he did, as evidenced by the way he helped groom Cassel this year. Let's hope O'Brien is a chip off the ol' block.
  6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Belichick was the brains behind the explosive offense. Cassels' development was more due to Belichick than any other coach, and proof of that is the similar development of Brady when McDaniels wasn't there. The other coaches just run Belichick's development training.

The drop off in production was more due to the fact that Corey Dillon aged 100 years after the 2004 season and because we lost some key offensive personnel.
  7. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -2

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    I think BB and McDaniels had a lot to do with Cassel's development. Who had more to do with it we'll never know because we are not a part of the organization outside of being fans. If you think BB was truly the BRAINS behind his development, why were he and McD in a heat argument over the offensive scheme at halftime of the Chargers game? I wasn't there but I can speculate that a lot of it had to do with the vanilla offensive gameplan and eliminating a lot of the deep stuff.

Feel free to address this but keep in mind that we're just speculating.
  8. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

You know you're in good hands when Bill Belichick is your plan B. Just a good reminder that we'll deal w the loss of McD OK.
  9. Mack Herron

Mack Herron Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

In BB We Trust. But does that leave less of him and more DP for the D?
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Suspect that he had enough confidence in McDaniels and the O side of the ball so he could devote more time to the D.. seem to remember him always doing this.
  11. brady2brown

brady2brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Yes, I'm much more concerned about the deffense than the offense.
  12. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

A big part of the reason there was a drop off in 2005 was the rapid decline of Corey Dillon. Dillon went from the league rushing leader in game played in 2004 to a marginal starter who was constantly injured the following year. So there may not be as big of a drop off as there was in 2005 if Brady is at least close to 100% to start the season.
  13. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

I don't think you can take away what McDaniels did for this offense and Cassel. I know you hate the guy and think he was a horrible coordinator, but give the guy a little credit.

I don't think there will be that big a drop off especially since O'Brien seems to be a McDaniels clone. You are probably going to hate him though because based on the piece in the Globe last week, like McDaniels, he likes to go out and continue to attack another teams' weakness and beat them that way rather than have a deception plays.
  14. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

Ditto! I want to see a more agressive defense next year. As long as the Pats have Brady (assuming he is healthy), Moss, and Welker; they will be at least an above average offense no matter the play calling and scheming.
  15. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I can't worry too much about 2005. That was before BB decided that the Urban Meyer-like shotgun spread attack was the way to go. Bill worked out the framework of the idea and left the details to Josh. I'm sure not much is lost.

Taking Bill's attention away from revamping a defense that needs more help is the real concern
  16. carolinatony

carolinatony Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Another Dillon type RB would help the O next year and beyond. I miss him.
  17. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I like scoring points, but I hope O'Brien is a lot more adept at in-game adjustments and playing a more chameleon-like offense than McKid was. Our "everyone knows what we're doing and we dare you to stop it" offense was too Colts-like and a major reason why we kept choking in the playoffs ever since Charlie left.
  18. BionicPatriot

BionicPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

In 04, Dillon was an animal.

In 05, he was a wounded puppy.

I'd say a 1600 yard back probably would make a difference in 6 slots.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  19. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    The whole Deion Branch fiasco, and Reche Caldwell becoming a starting WR, couldn't have helped. Corey Dillon was also banged up in 2005, yeah? IMO that probably had more to do with the dropoff than the coaching.
  20. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -2

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    In 2004, we had 2,134 yards rushing as a team. In 2005, we had 1,512 yards rushing. So yes, Dillon's impact was lost. He was the reason why I stated that I didn't know how much production was lost because of injury as he was, as you said it, a wounded puppy. However, the reason why I said "I'm not sure" is because Dillon had the same number of rushing TDs (12) as he did in '04. The yards were lost but the touchdowns were still there. As a matter of fact, we had 16 rushing TDs in 2005 and 15 in 2004.
  21. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -2

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Keep in mind that I'm not saying that the offensive coaching was BAD because it was not. If anything, the offensive coaching was the reason we were winning games while our defensive players were dropping like flies earlier in the season so I commend BB and Co. for that. I'm just saying there was a dropoff. How much of that had to do with injuries (or one key injury), I'm not sure.
  22. mtbykr

mtbykr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

We have Moss and Welker....that's a big difference from 2005
  23. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey
    You can't compare where they were ranked in the league because that offers nothing of value.

How many passing plays did they run in 2004 compared to 2005? How many running plays? How many yards did each type get? Were there any extenuating circumstances in 2005 in comparison to 2004? Like numerous running backs being injured?
  24. nashvillepatsfan

nashvillepatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

You're not serious are you? The divisional loss to Denver wasnt because of predictable play calling. It was because no one on the team showed up to play. They were horrible in that game. The afccg against the colts was all on the defense, not predictable play calling. It was 21-6 at halftime. The offense wasnt the problem. The D just couldnt stop anyone in the second half.

I just REEEALLY hope BB spends more time with the defense, but that probably isnt possible now that JM is gone.
  25. DocE

DocE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I am at least somewhat worried about this development. How worried I am depends on what additions we see to the coaching staff in the coming weeks. I still have visions of the Super Bowl where the D was struggling in the first half and Bill's back was turned to the offense most of the time, while he tried to fix the defense. It would be harder, if not impossible, for him to do that same thing next year without a true Offensive Coordinator. So far we have lost our Offensive Coordinator and two veteran position assistants who had been in Capers and Mangurian. I have all the belief in the world in BB and his system, but spreading himself too thin will minimize his impact. I realize Bill has taken more control of the Offense before when Weiss left, but I think the defense was much more solid then. In my opinion, the Patriots defense needs a major step up next year and the 3rd down and Red Zone defense in particular must be vastly improved. I think it's a ton to ask of anyone, even the great Bill Belichick, to both improve our defense and keep the offense at an elite level.

I know it's unlikely given his physical condition, but I'd love to see Romeo come back this year. That way Bill could take a lesser role on D, but have Romeo there to work with Dean Pees while Bill worked more extensively with O'Brien and the offense.
  26. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Eh, just ignore maverick. He has some irrational hatred of JMD that's bizarre, inexplicable, and generally uninformed.
  27. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey
    The Branch/Caldwell situation was in 2006. Not 2005.
  28. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

You keep on arguing that, but the only game you can remotely blame the play calling is the Giants Super Bowl. I'm sorry, but Charlie was not going to stop a 35 point meltdown by the defense in the second half vs. Colts. Charlie wasn't going to stop three fumbles (two on special teams) and a very questionable pass interference call against Asante Samuel against Denver.

O'Brien seems to come from the McDaniels school of we are going to find you weakness and exploit it while you squirm because you know what is coming and can't stop it anyway. I loved that about McDaniels. There is nothing more demoralizing for a defense than to know what is coming and knowing you can't stop it.

You might as well get used to it because O'Brien seems to be a clone of McDaniels. And I think that is what Belichick wants.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  29. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

Probably the best advice. Maybe I should follow it too.
  30. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

The "failure" in 2005 was Dillon's fault??????????????????????

As I recall, we did get into the playoffs and lost in the divisional game. Denver was leading 24-6 and it was all but over as a result of four turnovers by Faulk (fumble), Hobbs (KR), Brady (interception to Bailey), and a muffed punt by Brown. This was one of the worst playoff performances ever by a patriot team.

Let's remember 2005 and see how Dillon "lost the season"
    1) We had just lost Weiss and Crennel.
    2) We had just lost Law, Patten, Phifer and Andruzzi.
    3) Bruschi had a stroke.
    4) Monty Beisel and Chad Brown were our ILB's.
    5) Law was replaced by Starks.
    6) We chose to go into the season with TWO running backs (four now seems essential): Dillon and Faulk. Pass was the ST/FB and backup RB, as Evans is today.

Blame the Front Office if you want for not responding quickly enough to the coaching losses, the free agent losses, and the situation at LB. Blame the Front Office for not giving Dillon any backups (my pet peeve then; Belichick has since changed his philosophy at staffing the RB position). Perhaps, we might even blame the players who embarrassed the franchise in the divisional game.

But in the end, the 2005 season was NOT a failure, except by the standard of some patriot fans for whom 31 teams are failures each year. We are not the best franchise in the decade just because of three SB victories. Playoffs, winning divisions and even wins in the regular season count also, at least for some.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.