PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Samuel Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Shoe

Rookie
Reaction score
Ok, so Samuel wants his big payday. I think we're all agreed on that. Do you guys see the Pats maybe working a deal where they can trade him for a pick or combination of picks? Maybe up to and including the 49er selection? Say slide back to take a less expensive player while stockpiling a later #1 or a future #1.
While I like him as a player, and would like to see him on on next year's squad I just don't see him coming back at $7M per. I can't fault him for wanting some big money. Turning him into another high pick and possibly a future one, while bittersweet, would lessen the aftertaste.
Opinions? Food for thought?

We agreed to let him walk to test the free agent market.
We will not trade him, hopefully we resign him though.

I'm pretty sure we CAN'T trade him. He's going to be a free agent. Trading deadline has come and gone weeks ago. Lets get his best for the rest of this year and see what happens.

gone, gone gone. That ship has sailed. I will be shocked andappalled if they come to terms on a long term deal.

With a looming Moss contract coming up at season's end I just can't see the cap room to make Samuel a happy guy. At this point Moss could be the highest paid WR in NFL history if he chooses which again makes Samuel good as gone.

We agreed to let him walk to test the free agent market.
We will not trade him, hopefully we resign him though.

Rather than let him sit out the season, the Pats made the decision that it was better to take one year of fully dedicated service from Samuel plus a likely #3 compensation pick in what is a special season, rather than get nothing, except possibly six games of a pouting Samuel and more bad blood when he gets re-franchised. Simple business decision, AND, since they gave him the opportunity to earn free agency, there is a chance that that good will move could be reciprocated and Samuel will decide to stay, although I DO think it is unlikely that he will stay.

Asante is a good corner but I don't think has the physical tools to justify Nate Clements type money with the 20m+ signing bonus. He has the obvious knack for taking gambles at the appropriate times and anticipates the quaterback very well like Ty Law but isn't the bump corner Ty was. I'd rather resign Moss and extend Wilfork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back