PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Salary Cap Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatepatsfan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Ok I know there is already a thread with ESPN's possibilities, but I wanted to make a thread with legit ones (i.e. there is no way Rodney will be cut).

Starks is already gone

I think Poole will be gone

Willie has to restructure or he will be gone (which I wouldn't like)

I could see Chad Brown being cut, but his salary isn't that high anyways, I think if he was cut it would be only after a signing of an ILB or the draft (or if a signing was imminent)

Who else do you guys think could be cut?

tatepatsfan said:
Ok I know there is already a thread with ESPN's possibilities, but I wanted to make a thread with legit ones (i.e. there is no way Rodney will be cut).

Starks is already gone

I think Poole will be gone

Willie has to restructure or he will be gone (which I wouldn't like)

I could see Chad Brown being cut, but his salary isn't that high anyways, I think if he was cut it would be only after a signing of an ILB or the draft (or if a signing was imminent)

Who else do you guys think could be cut?

Bethel Johnson. I think the experiment is over. He's done nothing useful besides a few good kick returns (followed by mostly bad ones).

Dan Klecko. Admirable fellow, multi-talented, but at only a fair level, didn't help us last year when we lost half the team to injuries. Should he have a roster spot, and if so, why?

Mainefan said:
Dan Klecko. Admirable fellow, multi-talented, but at only a fair level, didn't help us last year when we lost half the team to injuries. Should he have a roster spot, and if so, why?

Klecko's versatility keeps him on the team. He'll never be a starter, IMO, but he can fill in at DT, DE, even MLB and contribute on ST. He doesn't do any of these particularly well, but he isn't horrible at any of them either.

jeffd said:
Bethel Johnson. I think the experiment is over. He's done nothing useful besides a few good kick returns (followed by mostly bad ones).

I doubt Bethel will be released anytime soon. The net cost of keeping him (cap hit minus dead money cap hit) is only $134,700. Since it would cost nearly double that to replace him with an undrafted free agent stiff to sit on the bench, there's not much point in releasing Johnson until you have identified a receiver who clearly provides more value (i.e. training camp). Even if his role is only as a special team player, emergency kick returner, and end-of-the-bench depth at WR, he's cheaper than signing a replacement for one more year.

Don't overlook the fact that we only have two receivers under contract who have ever taken a snap with the Patriots: Deon Branch and Bethel Johnson. So, to cut Johnson right now means that we think we are going to sign four receivers who are better than he is.

jeffd said:
Klecko's versatility keeps him on the team. He'll never be a starter, IMO, but he can fill in at DT, DE, even MLB and contribute on ST. He doesn't do any of these particularly well, but he isn't horrible at any of them either.

I don't think I can handle another off-season of this debate. The only position Klecko played last year was DT, and not well. The best thing to be said for him is he's a hustler. I saw him running to make a few tackles 6-8 yards past the line of scrimmage.

In other words, Klecko's versatility at all those positions isn't worth a pisshole in the snow.

Neither Bethel or Kecko wil be salary cap cuts. There is just not enough there in savings to cut them.

Both these guys might be TC cuts. But, we are not dealing with that issue right now.

PATSNUTme said:
Neither Bethel or Kecko wil be salary cap cuts. There is just not enough there in savings to cut them.

Both these guys might be TC cuts. But, we are not dealing with that issue right now.

That is what I was thinking. IMO Klecko probably will get cut and Bethel will be fighting for his spot, but neither are going to save us anything substantial.

11 starters out, klecko still doesnt play.

tatepatsfan said:
That is what I was thinking. IMO Klecko probably will get cut and Bethel will be fighting for his spot, but neither are going to save us anything substantial.
that says a lot. IMO there's no reason to keep both brown & beisel anyway. one or another, but not both.
IMO there will be at least one injustice in thuis year's set of cuts. in the cap wwas $105 million there would still be somebody going who you'd want say. it's in the nature of limits, i think.

jeffd said:

Yet the guy still averages over 22 YPR. Granted, not great, but then, our special teams blocking hasn't been great and he's had several big ones called back on penalties by guys like TBC and Matt Chatham.

hwc said:
I doubt Bethel will be released anytime soon. The net cost of keeping him (cap hit minus dead money cap hit) is only $134,700. Since it would cost nearly double that to replace him with an undrafted free agent stiff to sit on the bench, there's not much point in releasing Johnson until you have identified a receiver who clearly provides more value (i.e. training camp). Even if his role is only as a special team player, emergency kick returner, and end-of-the-bench depth at WR, he's cheaper than signing a replacement for one more year.

Don't overlook the fact that we only have two receivers under contract who have ever taken a snap with the Patriots: Deon Branch and Bethel Johnson. So, to cut Johnson right now means that we think we are going to sign four receivers who are better than he is.

Actually, Bam Childress has taken snaps with the Patriots and he is under contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft