PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Last 10 Cuts

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I kept Cunningham, Boutte, Montgomery, Bolden and Bryant.
The PUP and NFI lists include Onwenu, Anderson, Flowers and STer Davis.
Of course, there will transactions after the 53 is set with players put on IR and pickups from other teams.

Someone could be put on the IR before the cut, forcing him to be out for the season. I didn't list any.
====================
LAST 10 CUTS
Ferentz
Russey
Firkser
Sokol
Davis (NT)
Roberts
Wilson
Speed
Bledsoe
Wade

Of course, there will transactions after the 53 is set with players put on IR and pickups from other teams.

Someone could be put on the IR before the cut, forcing him to be out for the season. I didn't list any.
====================
LAST 10 CUTS
Ferentz
Russey
Firkser
Sokol
Davis (NT)
Roberts
Wilson
Speed
Bledsoe
Wade
if ferentz gets cut he will be brought back
russey to practice squad?
Carl Davis... eh
sam roberts? gone im thinking
sean wade has had enough time to show us exactly nothing
mac wilson - was surprised they brought him back

====================
LAST 10 CUTS
Ferentz
Russey
Firkser
Sokol
Davis (NT)
Roberts
Wilson
Speed
Bledsoe
Wade

Great exercise. I doubt they keep Cunningham. Bolden is in the concussion protocol so I assume he is on the 53 for 1 day. Hoping we trade Bryant. I think we need to keep Firkser or Sokol instead of Cunningham.

The following players would not be subject to waivers and are on one year contracts with minimal guarantees (or two year deals with no guarantees in 2024) meaning they could be released in the cut down to 53 and be resigned on 8/31 or be signed to the practice squad eligible to be elevated to the game day roster up to 3 times and then be added to the 53 as attrition allows during the season:

McSorley, Montgomery, Firkster, McDermott, Ferentz, Carl Davis, Ekuale, Guy, Wilson, Munson, Folk

Now, they wouldn’t do it with all those players, and, yes, they run the risk of losing a player like Brandon Bolden in 2019. But, having 11 players like that gives the Patriots the flexibility to carry a few injured players to the 53 before putting them on IR and, perhaps, carry a young player or two on the 53 into the regular season where teams are more settled into game prep before subjecting them to waivers.

Did you cut JJ Taylor?

He has been receiving high praise lately which means absolutely nothing, but he has been the good soldier for the Pats going on 3 years.

Montgomery concerns me with his fragility.

Did you cut JJ Taylor?

He has been receiving high praise lately which means absolutely nothing, but he has been the good soldier for the Pats going on 3 years.

I love Taylor, want to see him make it and get quality snaps.
When he has the ball good things happen.

I agree with the list. Amongst them , I think Davis (NT) has the best shot at making the 53.

Great exercise. I doubt they keep Cunningham. Bolden is in the concussion protocol so I assume he is on the 53 for 1 day. Hoping we trade Bryant. I think we need to keep Firkser or Sokol instead of Cunningham.
Keeping a 3rd TE instead of a 3rd Qb is certainly a reasonable option.

Did you cut JJ Taylor?

Yes, I expect Taylor to be cut. He isn't in my final 10 cuts.

I think that we are fine with 4 RB's. Montogomery is a bonus 5th RB for whatever time that he is available.

====================
LAST 10 CUTS
Ferentz
Russey
Firkser
Sokol
Davis (NT)
Roberts
Wilson
Speed
Bledsoe
Wade
Onwenu, Anderson, and Flowers will get spots when they are ready, I assume? Could be any time? Makes this even more difficult.

I love Taylor, want to see him make it and get quality snaps.
When he has the ball good things happen.
Why dont the Pats throw him the ball out in space?

They keep running Taylor through the A gaps like he is Earl Campbell. Typically he gets swallowed up for little to no gain.. Taylor had a very good night in GB, but I believe that the Packers are going have trouble stopping the run this season..

Yes, I expect Taylor to be cut. He isn't in my final 10 cuts.

I think that we are fine with 4 RB's. Montogomery is a bonus 5th RB for whatever time that he is available.
Taylor is 5 years younger than Montgomery with so much potential.

I believe that its sends the wrong message to cut Taylor. Stick it out and pay your dues and still get cut.

Why dont the Pats throw him the ball out in space?

They keep running Taylor through the A gaps like he is Earl Campbell. Typically he gets swallowed up for little to no gain.. Taylor had a very good night in GB, but I believe that the Packers are going have trouble stopping the run this season..
Maybe Obrein can scheme plays for him better than Patricia and Mcdaniels?

Onwenu, Anderson, and Flowers will get spots when they are ready, I assume? Could be any time? Makes this even more difficult.
If they are on PUP or NFI, they will be out for 4-6 games. By then, there will players injured, and roster positions available.

I believe that its sends the wrong message to cut Taylor. Stick it out and pay your dues and still get cut.
Paying your dues does not make you valuable to the team. Taylor has shown little. I expect that no one will pick him up, and that he will be on our Practice Squad. This is a pretty good deal for a marginal player.

Perhaps the real answer is be good enough to make the team and don't get cut. Or don't suck and you won't get cut. Or do well enough to show up in practice rather than against 3rd string players in preseason and you don't get cut. Last year in 10 rushing attempts he had 9 yards year before he averaged 2 yds per carry in 19 carries. Are we really even talking about him for any reason at all? He isn't big enough to block and hasn't taken advantage of the few opportunities he has been given in real games.

Who is beating him out? Maybe they carry extra safeties instead of a corner but after Gonzo, Jones, Jones, Jones it's probably still him.
Bolden might have beaten him out. Now, Bolden is likely to be on the 53 for a day, and then to the IR for 4-6 weeks.

Bryant is an OK 5th CB, backing up inside, at nickel and as a returner.

I do prefer Bolden.

The other is Wade, who has shown nothing since he has been on the team.

Bolden might have beaten him out. Now, Bolden is likely to be on the 53 for a day, and then to the IR for 4-6 weeks.

Bryant is an OK 5th CB, backing up inside, at nickel and as a returner.

I do prefer Bolden.

The other is Wade, who has shown nothing since he has been on the team.

My thoughts as well. I thought they were giving Bolden every chance to sink or swim, but it's clear that he won't be ready for the start of the season. Expected he'll be cut and brought back to the practice squad where he can get more preparation, heal up, and be ready either later this year or next season.

For as much as I disliked Bryant last year, he's played pretty well in the last couple preseason games and his coverage seems stickier than it was in the past. I think they're going to keep him as a backup because he has so much positional versatility. Maybe he's finally taken the next step and can be a serviceable role player. That's my hope at least.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back