PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Saint's fan looking for help with New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your pick of MOSS doesn't come across as drafting for the Patriots.

Weddle isn't bad.

You didn't get enough in the trade with Oakland.

You haven't addressed the needs or VALUE that the Patriots look for other than acquiring Weddle.

DeOssie or Stewart Bradley would be good value for the Pats.

The 4th round pick is the #100. That's over value for the move that was made. So i'm not sure what you mean.

I really like the Jarvis Moss pick personnally. He's the 2nd best pass rusher in the draft and projects well as an OLB. He is a project I suppose but you have Colvin for another 2 years.

Let me Pre-amble this by saying that I don't believe you understand what the Patriots look for in players and I don't believe you understand their value drafting approach. That is ok, because even most Pats fans don't understand it either and only some of us have an even basic understanding of it.

Draft Board
1-David Irons - CB I used to think that Irons would be a good pick. I don't so anymore.
2-Jason Hill - WR Good WR, but he's not of value to the Patriots because of their dirth of WRs currently.
3-Ray McDonald - DE - Another player I don't believe fits into the Pats system or value or 3-4. He is undersized to be a DE or a DT and over-sized (weight) to be an OLB.
4-Turk McBride - DE/DT - WAY TOO SMALL to play DE or DT in the Pats system. He'd have to move to ILB and there is definitely no guearantee he can doo that. Has major injury concerns.
5-Anthony Waters - ILB Guy hasn't partaken in a SINGLE off-season workout while recovering from a severely torn ACL. April 3rd is his last chance. He's a good 2 down back if healthy, but right now his value is 6th round at best.
6-HB Blades - ILB - The Pats need ILBs who can ALSO cover RBs and TEs. Blades can't do that. However, I could see him as a 2 down ILB, but that puts him behind DeOssie and Stewart.
7-Chris Henry - RB - He would be good value here
8-Josh Wilson - CB - Also good value, though a liability against the run.
9-Justin Durant - ILB - Like BOR, I don't see Durant being a good 3-4 ILB in the Pats system. He could do it if he can put on 10-15 lbs and keep his speed and agility. But that is a huge if
10-Zak DeOssie -ILB - He'd be at the top of my list for the 3rd round. Dam good player with all the measurables you look for. He'd also have a head start on the system because he's been around it.
11-Brandon Mebane - NT - A better one gap player than a 2 gap. The Pats are a 2 gap team.
12-Paul Soliai - NT - When it comes to value, Soliai provides a lot and would be an upgrade over LeKevan Smith. The question is whether or not he would be more valueable than Bradley or DeOssie.
13-Tony Hunt - RB - Good value player here. Would be a good compliment to Maroney.
14-Michael Coe - CB - I think Coe is more of a 4th or 5th round player.
15-Fred Bennett - CB - Not good in run support. I took him off my list because of that and because he doesn't have good enough upper body strength and there is a question as to whether he could put it on.
16-Doug Free - G/T - With the Patriots having 4 RT options currently, someone would really have to blow them away. I don't know if Free would do that.
17-Ryan Harris - TWith the Patriots having 4 RT options currently, someone would really have to blow them away. I don't know if Harris would do that.
18-Allen Barbre - G/T - I see Barbre more of a 4th or 5th round pick, though I think he'd be a good addition to the Patriots because I think he can push Bubin or Mruczkowski for a spot on the team. Could even push Britt
19-Johnnie Lee Higgins Jr. - WR - With the signings that the Pats have made and with Jackson already on the team, I am not sure that Higgins provides value in the 3rd round. Also, from what I have heard, Higgins put up a 40" vertical on campus, but just over 36 in at the combine. That is somewhat surprising.
20-Manueal Ramirez - T - Most people are projecting Ramirez to a guard position. The Pats just re-signed Billy Yates (G/C) to a 3 year deal. They also re-signed Mruczkowski (G/C). Add them behind Hochstein and I doubt the Patriots are going to add another guard. They could, though, and move one of Hochstein, Mruczkowski or Yates for a pick next year. But I don't know if Ramirez offers that level of confidence.

This bottom group are guys who are total non-needs but I want to keep tabs on. Yes the slipping of QBs, Stanton and Edwards, is not realistic. No one wants to "waste" a pick on QBs
-Quentin Moses - DE/LB
-Brian Robison - DE/LB
-Drew Stanton - QB
-Trent Edwards - QB

Robison is intriguing and could project into an ILB position for the Pats if his knee and leg issues are a non-factor.

Last edited:
The 4th round pick is the #100. That's over value for the move that was made. So i'm not sure what you mean.

I really like the Jarvis Moss pick personnally. He's the 2nd best pass rusher in the draft and projects well as an OLB. He is a project I suppose but you have Colvin for another 2 years.

Good for you. I am glad you like Moss. I don't. I don't believe that he projects well into a 3-4 OLB position in the Pats 3-4 defense because he's strickly a pass-rusher and that is not what the Pats use out there. He's also somewhat of a liability against the run. So, explain to me how that fits into the Pats system.

Now, I could care less that the 4th round pick is #100. Whoop-de-doo. The fact is that you didn't get enough for a 1st round pick that ties that player up for 5 years in comparison to a 2nd and 4th round pick that only ties the players up for 4 years. With the new CBA, the value of 1st round picks went up, while the value of the later rounds probably stayed the same. Meaning that it should take more to get a 1st round pick based on the idea that the extra year that a player is tied up for is a great bargaining chip.

If John Wendling isn't on your draft board, he needs to be, btw. The kid is tremendous and, honestly, is a better strong safety prospect than Weddle in my opinion.

We're in the middle of a 7 round mock draft over at saintsreport.com. I've taken on the New England Patriots. (Trades allowed, only using 2007 draft picks however, no one wanted to keep up with a salary cap)

You have a surprisingly good grasp on the Patriots' needs. I think that any of the players mentioned would be a good fit for the Patriots, though obviously not all before their time.

One strategy would be to use a few sixth-rounders (we have 4 including supplementals) in trades. There's no way we keep all of those and don't hesitate to move around if you see someone you like slipping (remember the Ty Warren trdae a few years ago). If Josh Wilson keeps falling, I'd make a move.

On another note, I'd look out for Stewart Bradley at LB as well, despite already having drafted Moss. If one of the two pans out, it would be worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News