PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2023 Patriots Picks owned

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Combining traded picks (New England Patriots Future Draft Pick Status) and comp picks (Compensatory Picks | Over the Cap) we have:

(comp picks are projected not official)

Round 1 - Patriots
Round 2 - Patriots
Round 3 - Panthers (trade down in 2022)
Round 4 - Patriots
Round 4 - Rams (Sony Michel)
Round 4 - Comp (JC Jackson)
Round 6 - Patriots
Round 6 - Panthers (Stephon Gilmore)
Round 6 - Raiders (Jarrett Stidham)
Round 6 - Comp (Ted Karras)
Round 7 - Comp (Brandon Bolden)

I was a little disappointed at the #4 for Jackson, I was assuming that would be a #3. But we're in good shape for small trades this year, trade ups in 2023 or flipping picks into 2024.

Last edited:
Fairly sure Jackson will turn out to be a 3rd won't he? Don't understand why he wouldn't be - he got one of, if not the biggest FA deal?

The Panthers pick might turn out being a top 70 one too. Still can't believe they traded up for Corral and gave up a future 3rd, and we moved down to 137 and got Zappe...who it turns out is probably a lot better QB anyways! Bill did some great draft day trading last year

Fairly sure Jackson will turn out to be a 3rd won't he? Don't understand why he wouldn't be - he got one of, if not the biggest FA deal?

The Panthers pick might turn out being a top 70 one too. Still can't believe they traded up for Corral and gave up a future 3rd, and we moved down to 137 and got Zappe...who it turns out is probably a lot better QB anyways! Bill did some great draft day trading last year

It's because JC missed so much time this year, he has missed two games for injury. So his playing time is around 58%. Snap count or percentage of plays is included in the comp formula.

If you look at Brandon Scherff, his contract has the same Average per Year (APY) as JC, but since his playing time is 99.7%, he is valued as a 3rd round pick. So JC still has time to make up that number so yes, he could become a 3rd round pick, he just has to play more snaps.

Combining traded picks (New England Patriots Future Draft Pick Status) and comp picks (Compensatory Picks | Over the Cap) we have:

Round 1 - Patriots
Round 2 - Patriots
Round 4 - Patriots
Round 6 - Patriots

I was a little disappointed at the #4 for Jackson, I was assuming that would be a #3. But we're in good shape for small trades this year, trade ups in 2023 or flipping picks into 2024.

Comp Picks aren't decided until after the season. Also, with Jackson and Scherff both being 16.5M for the AAC., they're not going to break them up into different rounds the way OTC is projecting unless Jackson or Scherff go onto Season ending IR tomorrow.

And JC got benched last night..... deep sigh.

Back to JC Jackson and the comp pick formula, if a guy goes on IR early in the season like he did, then his old team gets penalized? I could see it if it were performance related, but injury related doesn't seem right. But I guess we have to assume it'll be a 4th, that sucks.

Our pick numbers will be approx as follows if we finish right around the playoff cutoff line of #18-19:

R1 - 18
R2 - 50
R3 - 70 - from Carolina
R4 - 120
R4 - 125 - from Rams/Sony
R4 - 135 - comp JCJ
R5 - 148 - proposed add'l pick - trade picks 182 & 220 for approx pick 148
R6 - 180 - from Carolina
R6 - trade it (182 from Raiders)
R6 - 193
R6 - trade it (220, comp Karras)
R7 - 275 - comp Bolden

The proposed trade would fill the 5th round void, giving us 4 picks between 120 and 148.

Back to JC Jackson and the comp pick formula, if a guy goes on IR early in the season like he did, then his old team gets penalized? I could see it if it were performance related, but injury related doesn't seem right. But I guess we have to assume it'll be a 4th, that sucks.
Yes, the calculation uses snap count with no regard for the reason behind that snap count.

It’s doubly painful that the comp pick formula uses the yearly average for the entire contract ($82.5/5yr = $16.5M/yr) even though it looks right now based on performance and injury that he’s likely to be released in March 2024 after two years and $40M ($20M/yr). The last three years and $42.5M ($14.17M/yr) aren’t guaranteed and probably aren’t getting paid, but still hurt the Patriots in the comp pick formula.

I'd like to thank DJ Moore for his contribution to the Pats' cause.

One note, when I did this OtC had the Patriots getting a 4,6,7 comp, now it has them getting 3,5,7

It's possible Karras could net a 5th round comp pick.

Do we get comp picks if Mayo gets the DC title and McCardell gets the OC title? We could have 8 picks in the first 4 rounds, no?

Do we get comp picks if Mayo gets the DC title and McCardell gets the OC title? We could have 8 picks in the first 4 rounds, no?
Comp picks for losing coaches, not gaining coaches.

Comp picks for losing coaches, not gaining coaches.
Ok, Thanks. The way I figured it was if you hire a minority to be the HC/OC or DC you get comp picks. I knew about losing coaches. I also just happened to throw in Mayo being named (not that he has) the DC. That way if another team comes calling again next year or after we most certainly get a comp pick. Sucks to hear that if we hire a McCardell or Jefferson that we don't get any comp picks. Doesn't make sense.

(comp picks are projected not official)

Round 1 - Patriots
Round 2 - Patriots
Round 4 - Patriots
Round 6 - Patriots

Our History with Fourth Rounders is pretty good compared to Third Rounders.

You don't have pick 193 circled. It still belongs to us, yes?
Thanks, I missed it. That's our own pick, the others are trades or comps.

Attachments

• 1675703187143.png
    1675703187143.png
    710.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call