PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Saints celebrating their win with a game ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I missed a good portion of the game (but not the final 4 minutes :D) and so wasn't sure.

In any case, I am curious as to whether are there any minimums w.r.t the time before which one can ask a TO. A milli-second before the ball is snapped is going to make it impossible for any human watching the line to grant the TO, unless it is the coach asking for it right in front of the ref's face.

Agreed. He waited too long. His own snapper and sidelines didn't even see it. Brees should have pulled away with his arms high. He seemed a little uncertain. We messed with his head. I love it!:)

I have a buddy that is a NO fan that was constantly texting me BS about the refs during the game....."Refs are giving the Pats the Hometown treatment today"....or "Wow...how many holds can your pats get away with?" That last one killed me because when rewatching the game....seriously...the Saints were getting away with first degree assault out there!!!

If the Saints boards are any indication, they'll be ready with their built in, timeless referee excuses. :rolleyes:

I have a buddy that is a NO fan that was constantly texting me BS about the refs during the game....."Refs are giving the Pats the Hometown treatment today"....or "Wow...how many holds can your pats get away with?" That last one killed me because when rewatching the game....seriously...the Saints were getting away with first degree assault out there!!!

Yeah, they got the help from refs.

Right. there are no game balls for 58 minutes of play.

Actually, to me, this is just more evidence of something I've been blathering on about here for years -- the fact that so few of the key participants in the NFL seem to have any sophisticated understanding of end of game clock management. This is something that should be preached and coached to every single player from the first day of training camp, but even coaches don't understand it very well.

58 minutes in some cases is time for game balls. If you get an interception at the 2:00 warning and your opponent has no time outs, the game is over. (Unless you're going to assume a team pulls off the first forced fumble in victory formation in several decades, I guess.) The Saints celebrated, because they didn't understand end of game clock management -- even the booth didn't; it wasn't until just before the second down play that they did the math and realized the Patriots could get the ball with a bit over a minute left.

Every week you see examples. The worst example this week was the Green Bay/Jets game. (There is at least one every week -- often more.) Packers were protecting a 2-point lead with 1:53 left. The Ravens had two time outs. Third and three. Rogers completes a pass to Finley, who takes it 52 yards and goes out of bounds with 1:38 left on the clock and starts celebrating. If he stays in bounds, the game is effectively over. The Ravens have to stop the clock right then with a time out and have one time out left with 1:38 and the Packers having a new set of downs. The Packers just needed to run a couple of plays that take a few seconds and at worst, they run out the clock on fourth down with a couple of seconds left.

Instead, they put themselves in position of protecting a two-point lead and potentially having to give the Ravens the ball back (or missing a field goal if they dared to kick) with about 45 seconds left. Now, they got another first down and ran out the clock, but it was still a very dumb play. It's the same kind of stupidity that caused the Saints to celebrate early.

The end of games is frenetic. They are completely different than the rest of the game. All of the sudden, the tv times out stop, refs wind the clock on changes of possesion after punts immediately, and the teams need to hustle out onto the field -- things happen very quickly. As great as Brady was, I think the Saints defense was not fully prepared to come out and play that last series for the same reason they celebrated the game ball -- they didn't understand the clock situation. They needed an adult on that sideline getting them lined up on the sideline and ready with their helmets on, screaming, "this isn't over yet." I've seen that frequently on the Patriots' sideline. I don't mean to take away from Brady's heroics -- it was incredible. But the Saints simply failed to realize time and situation and their defense on that last drive looked much like the defense of a team that had already been celebrating.

The screenshot they use makes it look bad, but watching the play, that was never going to get called for holding. Not in New England, not in New Orleans, not on Mars.
It was,It didnt, and that would have been a sack. There isnt anything complicted about the pict or video. Thats the definition of holding. No ones debating which geographic area it was called in. We have no ill feelings about it, but saying thats not holding, by anyones definition, is not correct.

The Saints were holding most of the game...If Dobson was called for OPI, why didn't Stills?

I've seen worse games by the refs, but, it wasn't the best.

It was,It didnt, and that would have been a sack. There isnt anything complicted about the pict or video. Thats the definition of holding. No ones debating which geographic area it was called in. We have no ill feelings about it, but saying thats not holding, by anyones definition, is not correct.

NO ill feelings? I havent heard/seen this much whining about a regular season game in my life. We had worse calls go against us in AFC title games and Superbowls and didn't ***** as much as you all. It's downright pathetic. It's like you all assumed you were going to waltz in there and dominate and then you didn't, you got lucky that Stills made a good catch on what could have been called offensive PI (guess you all will just ignore that non flag) and then blew the game with a failure to convert a single first down not once, but twice! Showing one still frame of one play and blaming the entire game on it is laughable when you never should have been there in the first place.

NO ill feelings? I havent heard/seen this much whining about a regular season game in my life. We had worse calls go against us in AFC title games and Superbowls and didn't ***** as much as you all. It's downright pathetic. It's like you all assumed you were going to waltz in there and dominate and then you didn't, you got lucky that Stills made a good catch on what could have been called offensive PI (guess you all will just ignore that non flag) and then blew the game with a failure to convert a single first down not once, but twice! Showing one still frame of one play and blaming the entire game on it is laughable when you never should have been there in the first place.

Oh sorry PatsSox, lol, probably not the best post and then go to bed,lol. Didnt mean it in the context of what you are thinking.
No one is blaming the Patriots players for anything. We all hold and players do everything to win. Push offs holds, off mark, and alot of calls are never called, and the Who Dats are not in the majority that cheating or bad calls lost the game. Maybe 20% but not most, even on the bad sites.
Saints vs. Patriots 2013: Why the Refs are Not at Fault for Saints' 30-27 Loss to the Patriots - Canal Street Chronicles

Saints vs. Patriots 2013: New Orleans fans move on from officiating - SBNation.com

What you're saying: Bad refs or bad clock skills | NOLA.com

Though we got the short side of the stick, its really no excuse for losing the game, and we lost that game. We have been on the good side of the stick on other seasons.
I was just posting what is was, a hold by Solder who was clearly beaten, because SeymourTrophies was trying to make it look like an illusion.
I think it was an incredablely memorable game, and we did a pretty good job. The Patriots desurve to win, most of us think that. We didnt do to shabby on your home turf, and proud of both teams.
Yes a was confused by the calls, but Im not a negative person by personality so try to give me some leeway next time ok, peace, nothing ment by it, very fun game.

Pherein, did you make it up here for the game? If so, where did you sit?

Oh sorry PatsSox, lol, probably not the best post and then go to bed,lol. Didnt mean it in the context of what you are thinking.
No one is blaming the Patriots players for anything. We all hold and players do everything to win. Push offs holds, off mark, and alot of calls are never called, and the Who Dats are not in the majority that cheating or bad calls lost the game. Maybe 20% but not most, even on the bad sites.
Saints vs. Patriots 2013: Why the Refs are Not at Fault for Saints' 30-27 Loss to the Patriots - Canal Street Chronicles

Saints vs. Patriots 2013: New Orleans fans move on from officiating - SBNation.com

Though we got the short side of the stick, its really no excuse for losing the game, and we lost that game. We have been on the good side of the stick on other seasons.
I was just posting what is was, a hold by Solder who was clearly beaten, because SeymourTrophies was trying to make it look like an illusion.
I think it was an incredablely memorable game, and we did a pretty good job. The Patriots desurve to win, most of us think that. We didnt do to shabby on your home turf, and proud of both teams.

Really because what I hear around town is entirely different and what I see on Saintsreport is endless threads about conspiracies and a few about celebrating Mayos injury and loving the hit Amendola got injured on. I've lost a ton of respect for your fan base the last few days, which is difficult since I live here.

Yes a was confused by the calls, but Im not a negative person by personality so try to give me some leeway next time ok, peace, nothing ment by it, very fun game.

No offense, pherein - you're a good dude and I like you - but go ahead and read this thread, then tell us that Saints fans--the ones posting online, at least--aren't predominantly losers and d-bags. Pathetic.

It's really weird, because up to and through Sunday I actually generally liked the Saints fan base. Have had mostly positive interactions with your fans dating back years. But since Sunday, I've seen that Saints fans take losses worse than anyone outside of Baltimore, and then get are happy to see our best players go down with significant injuries because they're butt-hurt over losing. You're the man, of course, but my opinion on Saints fans collectively has done a complete 180 in the past three days.

Pherein, did you make it up here for the game? If so, where did you sit?

I wish Tune, really is one of my dreams to see Brady, BB, and hang out with patriot fans. Next time I will, but my job is pretty intense at nasa, and wife is pregnate, so I lost out again :(. Ill make it with her and the kids soon, shes a big fan too. Hopefully if you guys get a SB, I can get included and meet up with some here. Be fun.

Really because what I hear around town is entirely different and what I see on Saintsreport is endless threads about conspiracies and a few about celebrating Mayos injury and loving the hit Amendola got injured on. I've lost a ton of respect for your fan base the last few days, which is difficult since I live here.
you know PatsSox I know you have something going on negative,lol, its ok, but thats not the street feeling. You know SR is full of BW fans , has been since 2009. Read blackand.com.
Other team fans go to SR for confrontation because B&G.com is none confrontational, and boring because of that.
They go there to start fights.
Dude Ive lived and was born here all my life, no idea why your so mad at us.
.. and for the record I never post against your opinion, when you say these things, because I think its a valid one.

No offense, pherein - you're a good dude and I like you - but go ahead and read this thread, then tell us that Saints fans--the ones posting online, at least--aren't predominantly losers and d-bags. Pathetic.

It's really weird, because up to and through Sunday I actually generally liked the Saints fan base. Have had mostly positive interactions with your fans dating back years. But since Sunday, I've seen that Saints fans take losses worse than anyone outside of Baltimore, and then get are happy to see our best players go down with significant injuries because they're butt-hurt over losing. You're the man, of course, but my opinion on Saints fans collectively has done a complete 180 in the past three days.

BradyFTW thats SR, we're not supprised. Ive been saying forever to not go there, but you guys keep doing it. I cant stop that. Post from black and gold, I dont change my name on any site, and responsible for what I say. Your a great poster BradyFTW, but thats not our team site for fans. Im not sure how to make that any clearer, and if you post on B&G youll accually be allowed to have a discussion with 25 year old fans. There not at SR anymore, havent been for years. Thats like me posting from other fan forums besides patsfans.com. I know 3 other radical Patriots forums, but I dont read them. The real fans are on this one.

dude use your same name, and create an account at BG, and talk.

I wish Tune, really is one of my dreams to see Brady, BB, and hang out with patriot fans.

Really? How is that possible? lol. Are you a Saints fan or NE fan? I dunno how anyone can have two favorite teams. You can have favorite players from different teams, sure, but wantin to hang out with fans who don't support the same team you do (Saints) is weird. Like, I'm down with the Cowboys to some extent, but I wouldn't be caught dead rollin with they fans, postin on they forum, or bein at they parties or bars.

Yes, my saintly friend...that WAS a hold with 5 seconds left in the game. Yes, the Pats were the recipient of the non call BUT...as history has crammed down our throats since 2007...last possessions in ANY game see the rules thrown out the window. LOOK at the 2007 Super Bowl and the "miracle" play. LOOK at the end of last year';s Super Bowl....100% pass interference in the end zone!!!! world wide audience...no call! Brady making that last second pass for the win is worth TEN BILLION TIMES what a holding call negating the play would be to a league seemingly bent of fantastic finishes.

So the Saints lost...a main point should be, the corner should have DEFENDED the play and not allowed Thompkins to get behind him. I fhe plays the WR correctly, NOBODY is crying about any non-call later on. The Saints were hurt by this loss about as little as any team in the NFL can be...they're 5-1...they will get home field in the playoffs. This loss will have no effect on their season's outcome, ultimately. The Pats?...that was a win that meant a lot more to the league honchos as far as building post season worthiness and all the attendant TV ratings, fan interest and ancillary waterfalls of money the league rakes in.They already have the Peyton World slot set, as long as the Pats can play through all these debilitating injuries, they have their bad guy role set. Looks like they're really ramping up the Cincyrella/glass slipper slot for the Bengals.They have plenty of time to figure out the other participants, be it the Dolphins,or Cleveland, or even the Jets.The Ravens, off last year's win, are still a very viable sell with a possible "trials and tribulations of SuperJoe Flacco" story line to pimp to the fans.

Think about it. This is why the arrogant bigmouths at ESPN are boldly declaring in open media venues that Fox Sports is minor league NFL coverage...you NEED the world wide leader in sports and THEIR hype machine to make a postseason.

There is no one I like better than Sean Payton as far as opponent head coaches go in this league. Is it any wonder that the Goodells and ESPN scumbags hate his guts, as much and sometimes it seems , even MORE that Belichick? His post game presser was what all post gamers should look and sound like. No crybaby biatching, no Ryanesque pointing of fingers,no moronic,egotistical Harbaugh blubbering....just straight up, plain dealing and moving on. THAT'S what makes Payton the great head coach he is and the reason why the Saints are such a solid organization.

Really? How is that possible? lol. Are you a Saints fan or NE fan? I dunno how anyone can have two favorite teams. You can have favorite players from different teams, sure, but wantin to hang out with fans who don't support the same team you do (Saints) is weird. Like, I'm down with the Cowboys to some extent, but I wouldn't be caught dead rollin with they fans, postin on they forum, or bein at they parties or bars.

Im a football fan. I love my Saints and went threw 30 years of them failing and us being a joke. We went threw alot. I cheered when no one was. I got the bags, but we wore them at the game, because we were there, thick and thin, I love the boys. But we were there. I bleed Black and Gold, thats my team, and win or lose I support them. So will my kids.
Most hate Brady and the Patriots, but I think, IF you listen to your team, SP is right. Patriots are a team to be like, and hate, jeliousy never solved anything. We need to emulate them. Look at their success and try to do our best to follow that path. Most here admire what BB has done, it just takes a little open mindedness. I dont think thats weird, just a good football fan.

I wish Tune, really is one of my dreams to see Brady, BB, and hang out with patriot fans. Next time I will, but my job is pretty intense at nasa, and wife is pregnate, so I lost out again :(. Ill make it with her and the kids soon, shes a big fan too. Hopefully if you guys get a SB, I can get included and meet up with some here. Be fun.

I sat next to a couple Saints fans. Almost asked one of 'em if his name was Pherein. ;) It kind of hacked me off when N.O. tied the game and a group in the back started up that obnoxious "Who dat" chant. I'm glad we didn't have to hear it again afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes