PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Clark...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. I have to go back on that now that I've seen the replay. He definitely launched himself into McGahee's helmet first. Pretty blatent stuff. Whether McGahee lowered his helmet or not, the intent was there. Another helmet to helmet for Ryan Clark.

Last edited:
Yep. I have to go back on that now that I've seen the replay. He definitely launched himself into McGahee's helmet first. Pretty blatent stuff. Whether McGahee lowered his helmet or not, the intent was there. Another helmet to helmet for Ryan Clark.

What really smokes me is that he got away with it again. He's not even getting a fine, nevermind a suspension.

What really smokes me is that he got away with it again. He's not even getting a fine, nevermind a suspension.

I agree, should be a flagrant personal foul for leaving his feet and torpedoing the guy. There was no reason, he should have kept running thru the player with his head up and not use the helmet as a weapon. He is going to maim himself along with others.

Should have been mandated since Jack Tatum

He needs to look at Sheldon Brown destroying Bush to learn how to tackle properly whilst still delivering the big hit. Still think they're easy hits mind, but atleast that one was clean.

He needs to look at Sheldon Brown destroying Bush to learn how to tackle properly whilst still delivering the big hit. Still think they're easy hits mind, but atleast that one was clean.

Ah, the Mersey, where Jonathan Laird built Hull 292, better known to the world as the CSS Alabama. The drydock where she was built is still there, and the food and beer nearby are worth the price of the trip alone. Not to mention the number of incredibly beautiful girls, everywhere you look. I need to get back there one of these days, sooner, rather than later. :)

Ah, the Mersey, where Jonathan Laird built Hull 292, better known to the world as the CSS Alabama. The drydock where she was built is still there, and the food and beer nearby are worth the price of the trip alone. Not to mention the number of incredibly beautiful girls, everywhere you look. I need to get back there one of these days, sooner, rather than later. :)

One thing I love is the naval history and life. HMS Ark Royal was just in funny enough, one of our carriers and she was docked by the buildings on the waterfront, fantastic sight. Your more than welcome, lots of new buildings and the city centre as a "posh" new shopping district now :D Unless you've been in the past year then you'll already know...

And, erm, yeah he definately led with his head there...

Wow is all I can say. The guy made a clean hit! He was leading with his shoulder and when Mcgahee lowered his head they made helmet to helmet contact. When the hell did helmet-to-helmet contact become illegal on a ball carrier in the first place? Secondly when you break down and make a proper tackle, your head will either be even with the shoulders or out in front depending on your angle. In other words, you always lead with your head when making a proper tackle. Do people forget that football players are taught to put their facemask into the ball carriers chest? I think people confuse "leading with the helmet" with spearing "leading with the crown of your helmet", which by the way isn't for the safety of the ball carrier. It is for the safety of the tackler. Unfortunately, we rarely see proper tackling in the NFL today. Everyone just throws a shoulder or submarines the ball carriers legs.

And for the record, I believe Clarks hit on Welker was dirty, because the ball was clearly overthrown, Welker was on his way back down from his leap and Clark took several steps and launched himself after the ball was overthrown.

Last edited:
Wow is all I can say. The guy made a clean hit! He was leading with his shoulder and when Mcgahee lowered his head they made helmet to helmet contact. When the hell did helmet-to-helmet contact become illegal on a ball carrier in the first place? Secondly when you break down and make a proper tackle, your head will either be even with the shoulders or out in front depending on your angle. In other words, you always lead with your head when making a proper tackle. Do people forget that football players are taught to put their facemask into the ball carriers chest? I think people confuse "leading with the helmet" with spearing "leading with the crown of your helmet", which by the way isn't for the safety of the ball carrier. It is for the safety of the tackler. Unfortunately, we rarely see proper tackling in the NFL today. Everyone just throws a shoulder or submarines the ball carriers legs.

And for the record, I believe Clarks hit on Welker was dirty, because the ball was clearly overthrown, Welker was on his way back down from his leap and Clark took several steps and launched himself after the ball was overthrown.

Amen! I completely agree.

Amen! I completely agree.

<sigh> .... Again, 12 second mark.

YouTube - Ryan Clark hit on Willis McGahee: Ravens vs. Steelers Game 2009

It was a dirty hit.

Last edited:

I watched it live and I saw all the replays, if Mcgahee doesn't put his head straight down clark hits him in the middle of his torso. Mcgahee lowered himself (which he should have done) and put his facemask towards the ground (which he shouldn't have done) and then they made contact.

Nothing dirty about it. It was unfortunate that he received a concussion, but if helmet-to-helmet contact is why you or anyone else thinks it was dirty then I don't know what to say to that.

It is impossible for players to avoid it at all times. Your head is just as important as your arms and shoulders when making a tackle. If your head isn't consistently across the ball carrier's body or on his inside shoulder (again depending on the angle) then you will miss more tackles than you make. And when you do this it is possible for helmet-to-helmet contact, especially when the runner attempts to get lower and is running square. Which is what happened in this case.

Exactly. Dude, I don't need to watch the replay 1000 times. I saw it live, and I've seen the replay plenty already. Their helmets collide, but it wasn't intentional. Like I said in an earlier post....should we throw a flag (which there wasn't by the way), or fine and suspend players everytime their helmets collide?! It's a contact sport people! Helmets collide on EVERY play. Sometimes more violent collisions like this happen! You can repost the replay all you want and cry and whine till the preseason, if that makes you feel better. But mgcolby describes the play pretty spot on. Clark twists his body to drive his shoulder into McGahee's chest and Willis turns into the tackle at the last moment, which causes the infamous "helmet to helmet". There will be no punishment, cause it was a clean hit! End of story. Steeler haters can cry "Bully!" for the rest of their lives, but it won't change a thing.

Great point. Compare the two hits. Whil;e I don't know that Clark necessarily meant to go helmet to helmet (McGahee DID lower his head), clearly Clark never kept his head up, nor did he attempt to tackle with arms/shoulders. The saving grace is that at least he got his own bell rung.

I watched it live and I saw all the replays, if Mcgahee doesn't put his head straight down clark hits him in the middle of his torso. Mcgahee lowered himself (which he should have done) and put his facemask towards the ground (which he shouldn't have done) and then they made contact.

Nothing dirty about it. It was unfortunate that he received a concussion, but if helmet-to-helmet contact is why you or anyone else thinks it was dirty then I don't know what to say to that.

It is impossible for players to avoid it at all times. Your head is just as important as your arms and shoulders when making a tackle. If your head isn't consistently across the ball carrier's body or on his inside shoulder (again depending on the angle) then you will miss more tackles than you make. And when you do this it is possible for helmet-to-helmet contact, especially when the runner attempts to get lower and is running square. Which is what happened in this case.

The video shows otherwise.

Sorry when you cross your arms and launch yourself, and make no attempt to wrap up, that makes it dirty. Maybe not illegal, but none the less dirty.

Sorry when you cross your arms and launch yourself, and make no attempt to wrap up, that makes it dirty. Maybe not illegal, but none the less dirty.

By that standard 99% of the "tackles" in the nfl are dirty. And that is hard nose football. It wasn't as if Asante never left his feet or anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference