PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armchair Quarterback

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Who to add? Would like to see an addition or two to the existing group, as I don't believe Blount's an ideal starter. Opinions? IMO, this would be a good year to spend a 2nd or 3rd on Ajayi or Yeldon. Pretty decent chance of Bush signing on but he left without a contract. Ridley makes a lot of sense for the Cowboys so I don't expect him back.

1st, 2nd down backs:
Blount, Gray, Bolden, Gaffney
Potential Free Agents: Ridley, Tate, SJax, Bradshaw, Moreno (The last two could potentially fill a 3rd down role).
Potential Draft Picks: Gurley, Gordon, Ajayi, Yeldon, Allen, Coleman, Langford, David Johnson

3rd down backs: White, Lewis
Potntial Free Agents: Bush, Thomas
Potential Draft Picks: Abdullah, Duke Johnson

With all the choices at RB, I don't see this an area of big concern. One of the youngsters might even break out or Bush could be signed. I am intrigued by Gaffney and want to see what White and Gray contribute after a year with the team. For all we know, Vereen's replacement may already be on the roster.

Blount is a load and will get the short yards needed to move chains.....let's see what Gray can do if he's out of BB's doghouse. 3 young promising RB's on the team already. I'm excited about Pats running game this coming season.

Just in terms of the draft there are three I'm primarily interested in:

1. I'm absolutely fine with them taking Todd Gurley in the first round regardless of need at OL, CB and DT. Gurley has the potential to be a transformative player like Marshawn Lynch is.

2. Ameer Abdullah has some issues, namely fumbling and blocking and I don't want to minimise those but he has an outstanding reputation for his on-field intelligence and off-field character and is an outstanding pass catching and open-field RB. As far as I'm concerned, he's an upgrade on Shane Vereen. As you can see from my avatar, I'm a fan. I'm not even that concerned about his fumbling - he fumbles at the same rate Kevin Faulk did early in his career. You can be coached out of fumbling and Abdullah has improved that part of his game year on year.

3. David Johnson is one of those interesting tactical pieces that Josh McDaniels can move about as a RB, FB, WR and move TE. He would be our Charles Clay.

4. Tevin Coleman - Game breaking speed. Could be a 20-30 carry DeMarco Murray type back.

I would take Coleman, Abdullah and Johnson at 64.

As for the other backs, whilst I think there are a number of good ones and I'd be fine with a Mike Davis, an Ajayi or Yeldon or Duke Johnson, I don't think any of them are much more than rotational backs that share time with Blount, Gaffney or maybe Gray.

Adding Reggie Bush or Pierre Thomas in FA makes the most sense because it allows us to focus elsewhere in the draft but if we don't sign either, I want one of the four I've listed above.

Who to add? Would like to see an addition or two to the existing group, as I don't believe Blount's an ideal starter. Opinions? IMO, this would be a good year to spend a 2nd or 3rd on Ajayi or Yeldon. Pretty decent chance of Bush signing on but he left without a contract. Ridley makes a lot of sense for the Cowboys so I don't expect him back.

1st, 2nd down backs:
Blount, Gray, Bolden, Gaffney
Potential Free Agents: Ridley, Tate, SJax, Bradshaw, Moreno (The last two could potentially fill a 3rd down role).
Potential Draft Picks: Gurley, Gordon, Ajayi, Yeldon, Allen, Coleman, Langford, David Johnson

3rd down backs: White, Lewis
Potntial Free Agents: Bush, Thomas
Potential Draft Picks: Abdullah, Duke Johnson

I remember Moreno always have pretty good success against the Pats.. I would like him on the team, but he gets injuried often.. Though he is 28yrs old..

White did "zero" to show he was capable in 2014..

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back