PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Run game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The end of the colts game was especially frustrating because they brought out Blount to be "the closer" in the 4th quarter - kill the clock and safely pound the rock while avoiding taking any unnecessary risks with Brady. Problem was, Blount couldn't get a first down. It would be great to have that ability to "close" out the game by running the ball.

Here's hoping that Dion Lewis is good enough to go on Thursday, where he can then take advantage of 10+ days rest. It sucks that White still doesn't seem ready enough to contribute in all of his assignments, because he's the kind of guy we could've used vs. the NYJ.

I wonder if a guy like Bolden would've received 5-10 carries on Sunday, had he been able to go? I'm guessing it probably wouldn't have mattered too much, but who knows?

That's a good point I probably haven't given enough deference to. JM's/BB's options for running, with Lewis and Bolden shelved, probably pointed them even quicker to virtually abandoning the run. The OL seems certain to have pointed them more at it too.

Just to be clear (as mentioned in my other posts Brother Sup :)) I am not for 'balance' just to be balanced -- I've never understood that stance. I'm for doing what is necessary to win in the most optimal way (and sometimes the optimal way to win is also the last and only way to win). If that needs to be all throwing then by all means throw it.
Where I have question is, is regarding BB/JM abandoning it with such a small sample. I'd like to see several more to see if their run D breaks down a little. It wasn't like this game was out of reach and we had to throw it to try and get back into the game. Bottom line: I'm just not on board, not yet, with the Jets run D being a brick wall when it was tested in this game only 5 times, and previously it had been tested by the offenses ranked: 28th, 26th, 21st, 16th (and the 14th phins who were an absolute offensive joke/fail until the firing of their coach which happened after the Jets played them). This is what indicates this impenetrable Jets run defense wall to try only 2 runs in the entire second half of a game that was very much up for grabs? I may be in the minority on this but that tells me their is a pretty big deficit in what BB/JM thinks of their own run game, not just the potency of the Jet run D.

That's a good point I probably haven't given enough deference to. JM's/BB's options for running, with Lewis and Bolden shelved, probably pointed them even quicker to virtually abandoning the run. The OL seems certain to have pointed them more at it too.

Just to be clear (as mentioned in my other posts Brother Sup :)) I am not for 'balance' just to be balanced -- I've never understood that stance. I'm for doing what is necessary to win in the most optimal way (and sometimes the optimal way to win is also the last and only way to win). If that needs to be all throwing then by all means throw it.
Where I have question is, is regarding BB/JM abandoning it with such a small sample. I'd like to see several more to see if their run D breaks down a little. It wasn't like this game was out of reach and we had to throw it to try and get back into the game. Bottom line: I'm just not on board, not yet, with the Jets run D being a brick wall when it was tested in this game only 5 times, and previously it had been tested by the offenses ranked: 28th, 26th, 21st, 16th (and the 14th phins who were an absolute offensive joke/fail until the firing of their coach which happened after the Jets played them). This is what indicates this impenetrable Jets run defense wall to try only 2 runs in the entire second half of a game that was very much up for grabs? I may be in the minority on this but that tells me their is a pretty big deficit in what BB/JM thinks of their own run game, not just the potency of the Jet run D.

Oh, just for the record, I'm not meaning to question your opinion. I'm simply thinking out loud. As a matter of fact, I agree with your stance entirely. I have no problem with it, aside from the quantity of dropbacks and concerns for punishment, but I do wonder if the lack of a certain type of RB didn't factor into the decision?

We will likely never know.

The end of the colts game was especially frustrating because they brought out Blount to be "the closer" in the 4th quarter - kill the clock and safely pound the rock while avoiding taking any unnecessary risks with Brady. Problem was, Blount couldn't get a first down. It would be great to have that ability to "close" out the game by running the ball.

I'm compelled to say that it's necessary to have that RB to kill clock and close out a game, particularly in the postseason, but I'm quickly reminded of the games vs. BAL and SEA.

I'd have a harder time imagining lightning striking twice like that, though. Just my opinion. I could be wrong. I think we'll need to get Lewis and Blount going, although you're right--LG has struggled vs. those tougher defensive fronts, so it's a challenge.

At this point, I'm starting to think that White and Bolden are virtually useless in terms of seeing any actual production in the running game, and this is coming from someone who thought that Bolden could play that role in a pinch, should it come to it.

There always has to be someone that trots out the "RUN MOAR!!1" narrative and it always fails by the end of the season. We saw people complaining about a "lack of balance" last year and the team won the Super Bowl by attacking the opponent's weakness instead of trying to run just because. The Jets are an excellent run defense. Why would you willingly waste downs trying to "pound the rock" when you have a quarterback that's as good as Brady is when dropping back to pass 50+ times?

I'm compelled to say that it's necessary to have that RB to kill clock and close out a game, particularly in the postseason, but I'm quickly reminded of the games vs. BAL and SEA.

I'd have a harder time imagining lightning striking twice like that, though. Just my opinion. I could be wrong. I think we'll need to get Lewis and Blount going, although you're right--LG has struggled vs. those tougher defensive fronts, so it's a challenge.

At this point, I'm starting to think that White and Bolden are virtually useless in terms of seeing any actual production in the running game, and this is coming from someone who thought that Bolden could play that role in a pinch, should it come to it.
Sound points. With Lewis and Bolden possibly out again and White and Blount less than impressive, how do you see them approaching Miami with an impressive pass rush? This could be a real test for a banged up OL.

Bill & McD are playing with some serious, serious fire by refusing to attempt to scheme & execute successful running plays, and I don't mean the down-wasting crap up the middle into the teeth of the defense.

Bill & McD are playing with some serious, serious fire by refusing to attempt to scheme & execute successful running plays, and I don't mean the down-wasting crap up the middle into the teeth of the defense.
They changed the game plan the morning of the game because they found out Lewis would be inactive. Perhaps they run more if he's in. But you play with what you have. Why try to be something you're not? It worked, they got a win. Now on to MIA.

History proves, conclusively, that you are wrong about this.

Last edited:
I would feel better about the running game if our depth was solid ....
James White goes down like a bowling pin.

If Lewis and Blount can maintain health we are in good enough shape.

Sound points. With Lewis and Bolden possibly out again and White and Blount less than impressive, how do you see them approaching Miami with an impressive pass rush? This could be a real test for a banged up OL.

I would have to guess that they'd try to run more, at least until they showed a larger sample size of failure. Then again, who knows? I'd have to think that NY has just as good of a capable pass rush as MIA, although I don't have any numbers to base that off of at the moment.

I'm just hoping that Lewis is good to go come Thursday. Maybe they tried to manage his injury by resting him vs. NY, knowing that he'd only have to go once on TNF before the 10 day rest?

They can manage this game without Lewis I would think. The next game you may need all hands is the Giants Nov 15 which is 19 days from now. The Skins at home Nov 8 should be a blood bath. Skins have not beaten a team over 500 yet.

Pass plays typically gain more yards per attempt than runs. I've often wondered what would happen if a team just deliberately went pass completely.

I know the Pats and many other teams have gone pass heavy plenty of times but it's usually because they're trying to get ahead. Even then 70-80% is more what we see in pass heavy.

This year with Buffalo and NYJ is one of the few times I've ever seen a team seemingly abandon the run, not as a reaction to the game, but as a plan coming in. I really can't recall the team going 90% pass except when fighting from behind. I think it's even more unorthodox than even what people are suggesting. Not just uncommon but nearly unprecedented.

I may be wrong, I just can't recall it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes