PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Tom Brady suffered a setback recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what else is funny about that thread on Jets Insider. They are mocking us because several people in this thread stated that they didn't believe that Francesca said anything significant on the radio because they weren't talking about it on Jets Insider and used that thread as proof that those Pats fans are "idiots" except that thread doesn't prove anyone wrong. That thread had nothing to do with what Francesca said and in fact they only references to what Francesca said were links to this thread. So the only reference to the Francesca story on the Jets Insider is this thread, not someone with a first hand account of listening to Francesca. Some Jets fans are too stupid for words.

From Dirstar over there:

This is the intelligence of the Jets posters. They don't understand that they are two unrelated rumors unless Francesca got his information from that thread. Then it is stupid to even give weight to the rumor in the first place.

Also, I do think it is funny that they 100% believe Francesca (eventhough I am not sure they even heard what he said other than reading this thread and even by those accounts, he didn't say much) and they dismiss John Dennis saying on WEEI this morning that his sources close to Brady says he is back on track, doing full workouts, and putting back on weight as "company line that we've all been fed the last 3 weeks".

LOL @ a Jets fan insulting the intelligence of a Patriots fan. Honestly, if you've had the experience of interacting with them, the Jets fanbase may be one of the least intelligent groups of people on the planet.

You've been ripped apart by numerous people for your ill-thought out posts. Not just by me. But, of course, people like you just focus on one person because I tend to be more vocal.

Yes, You are entitled to your opinion. But what you forget is that you are also entitled to any repercussions that stem from voicing that opinion. That is the other edge of the 1st Amendment sword. But people like you whine and complain because you don't understand that. Because you think that you can just spout off without being taken to task for it. And you prove, again, that you don't think that you have to be.

You are the one in need of the reality check. Because you are the one who was taken to task in this thread for spouting off the way you did.

you call people names. in fact, you have callled me a liar. i have never lied on this board. there is no reason for me to do that. i heard something on the radio and reported it here. i reported it as a rumor. i believe we will keep cassel. if people want to tell me im a moron for saying that, thats ok. i have never spoken in facts aroudn here when it comes to potential moves. but, i do use logic. and as you tried to tell my brother, that it is not simple logic that the patriots will keep cassel if brady has indeed suffered an incident, you are wrong yet again. based on information we have or beleive to be true we reach inferences and make deductions. making sure that i am correct, here is the definition of LOGIC 1. the science that investigates the principles governing correct or reliable inference.

so what my brother said about logic, how if brady is hurt, he used logic to come to an inference, HE IS 100% right. so whos wrong? not him. but you. yet you are the one calling people idiots and morons. yet you dont even know what logic is.

so to repeat my belief and my brothers belief...

i quote..."It's not that its fact. Its simple logic. If your starter isnt healthy and you have a proven stud backup, you keep him."

people dont know that logic isnt reaching a fact. its reaching a conclusion based on information. the conclusion doesnt have to necessarily true, but the information leads you in that direction.

John Dennis saying on WEEI this morning that his sources close to Brady says he is back on track, doing full workouts, and putting back on weight
I assume you mean this morning (2/5), thanks for adding this little tidbit which doesn't seem to be referenced anywhere else.

i quote..."It's not that its fact. Its simple logic. If your starter isnt healthy and you have a proven stud backup, you keep him."

But we do NOT have that proven stud backup under contract. He is an unrestricted free agent. The only means we have to keep him is by paying him a one year salary of 14+ million dollars. Yes, if Cassel were under a reasonable contract in 2009, I have no doubt he would remain a Patriot. But he's not, and the Patriots aren't going to pay him over double what he's worth annually on the open market to retain him if Tom Brady is going to be ready at any point in 2009, particularly given there are needs at other positions, and particularly given they spent a 3rd rounder on a QB last season.

Which is besides the point as it has nothing to do with this thread.

But we do NOT have that proven stud backup under contract. He is an unrestricted free agent. The only means we have to keep him is by paying him a one year salary of 14+ million dollars. Yes, if Cassel were under a reasonable contract in 2009, I have no doubt he would remain a Patriot. But he's not, and the Patriots aren't going to pay him over double what he's worth annually on the open market to retain him if Tom Brady is going to be ready at any point in 2009, particularly given there are needs at other positions, and particularly given they spent a 3rd rounder on a QB last season.

Which is besides the point as it has nothing to do with this thread.

i agree that it would be an expensive proposition. however, the QB position is the one position in the game that makes all the difference. i dont know what happened to Brady, I have said this all along. but, as we know he is coming off major major knee surgery. god only knows if he can come back and play well again. you have to put up the cash for Cassel to make sure of this. if we cant sign anybody else so what. we will have a QB capable of taking us to the playoffs.* I dont know if O'Connel is the answer, and to be completely honeest, Im not ready to see him come in....All i know is i pray that Brady comes back 100?%. i just am not 100% sold on this yet, and if I were running the team, CAssel would be on it next year no matter what the cost.

*I KNOW WE MISSED THE PLAYOFFS LAST YEAR.

If Brady is not ready, I'd quite enjoy watching Cassel play for us next year. That's putting aside cap concerns and all of that. From a fan-watching-on-sundays perspective, I could watch the Pats with Matt filling in and still feel confident.

That's not to say I don't want to see us have a better D and get mucho picks and see Brady come back and throw end-zone to end-zone touchdowns 3x a game. From the most simplistic of perspectives if there was - for any reason - no Brady, I would want to see Matt under center. (it's really "centre" but I'm trying to blend in... hehe)

Last edited:
Could someone give me a summary of this thread please?

Tom is currently over-zealous and has been in trouble a couple of times for over-throwing the ball and setting off car alarms in the parking lot. He claims it's just a prank to get Jerod to lay off the film work and get some fresh air. Nothing serious. The Pats are using injury rumours to distract people from the fact that he is throwing accurately for 400+ yards in a single pass. Such news would cost us draft picks.

Last edited:
If Brady is not ready, I'd quite enjoy watching Cassel play for us next year. That's putting aside cap concerns and all of that. From a fan-watching-on-sundays perspective, I could watch the Pats with Matt filling in and still feel confident.

That's not to say I don't want to see us have a better D and get mucho picks and see Brady come back and throw end-zone to end-zone touchdowns 3x a game. From the most simplistic of perspectives if there was - for any reason - no Brady, I would want to see Matt under center. (it's really "centre" but I'm trying to blend in... hehe)

my guess is we try to sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal. not to sure if that will be possible, if i were Cassel's agent id be reluctant to have him sign that deal, but if its 2 years 20M guaranteed, thats not bad. maybe we are negotiating trying to avoid franchising him. who knows. i dont.

i just hope Brady or Cassel is our QB next year, preferaby Brady of course

we definitely have a ton of picks already. more would be great, but i just think its too risky to trade Cassel this year. there will be a market for him next year and the year after. he will still only be 28 in 2 years.

Tom is currently over-zealous and has been in trouble a couple of times for over-throwing the ball and setting off car alarms in the parking lot. He claims it's just a prank to get Jerod to lay off the film work and get some fresh air. Nothing serious. The Pats are using injury rumours to distract people from the fact that he is throwing accurately for 400+ yards in a single pass. Such news would cost us draft picks.

:rocker: :rocker:

i heard Mike Francessa say on WFAN 660AM in NY yesterday that Brady suffered a setback and it was really bad for the NFL. I was called a liar, an exaggerator, a jerk, a dumby, stupid, etc. thats basically it

i heard Mike Francessa say on WFAN 660AM in NY yesterday that Brady suffered a setback and it was really bad for the NFL. I was called a liar, an exaggerator, a jerk, a dumby, stupid, etc. thats basically it

Yeah I saw that. But nothing else has developed since then? Only Franceasa is reporting this?

LOL. Man it must hurt to be you. But seriously. Is there any other links/sources that confirm this? I think the timing of this soundbite is suspicious considering that it comes right before franchise tag time.

That is not it, I am sure under full examination you were called a few other things as well:D Basically a lot of us have different STRONG opinions on what should be done with Cassel. Until TB steps on the field in 2009 there will be 4583 more reports (give or take) about TB which I suspect most will be false. Who knows what will happen with Brady all we know, as devout fans (which we all are) will do everything possible to be ready and in Tom we trust. I as well as others realize the serious of the injury and the possibilities of him not being ready for the start of the NFL season and may go on the PUP list for the start of the season.

It comes down to the people who think it is best for Cassel to be traded and sign a vet QB (way cheaper then Cassel). Go into the season with the hopes of Brady being the man again with a vet QB backup, K. O'Connell and Gutz. They could use the extra 14 million to sign higher draft picks to rebuild at S, LB, OL and to sign FA as well as our own guys like Wright.

People who are not sure Brady will be ready are wanting to keep Cassel as insurance. They covet the QB position (which is correct) and believe that spending the money on Cassel is worth it and a little part of me agree's, to have two solid QB's is a luxury that not many teams have. They look at the Pats and believe that QB security with a healthy 2009 Patriot team will get them to the SB as we have pretty good picks in the draft right now.

I personally have favored the first scenario of trading Cassel while his value is high and we have a few holes to fill.

Last edited:
i agree that it would be an expensive proposition. however, the QB position is the one position in the game that makes all the difference. i dont know what happened to Brady, I have said this all along. but, as we know he is coming off major major knee surgery. god only knows if he can come back and play well again. you have to put up the cash for Cassel to make sure of this. if we cant sign anybody else so what. we will have a QB capable of taking us to the playoffs.* I dont know if O'Connel is the answer, and to be completely honeest, Im not ready to see him come in....All i know is i pray that Brady comes back 100?%. i just am not 100% sold on this yet, and if I were running the team, CAssel would be on it next year no matter what the cost.

*I KNOW WE MISSED THE PLAYOFFS LAST YEAR.

We couldn't get into the playoffs with Cassel in a season in which the NFL fielded perhaps its worst competition I've seen in my lifetime. When adjusted for level of competition, Cassel's stats place him 20th best amongt starting QBs in the NFL. Next season, our schedule will be tremendously more difficult. There is no guarantee we would make the playoffs with Cassel as QB next year, and for 14+ milli, thats far too big a gamble to take. Is he more a sure thing than O'Connell? Of course, yes. But the price tag is just too large.

We couldn't get into the playoffs with Cassel in a season in which the NFL fielded perhaps its worst competition I've seen in my lifetime. When adjusted for level of competition, Cassel's stats place him 20th best amongt starting QBs in the NFL. Next season, our schedule will be tremendously more difficult. There is no guarantee we would make the playoffs with Cassel as QB next year, and for 14+ milli, thats far too big a gamble to take. Is he more a sure thing than O'Connell? Of course, yes. But the price tag is just too large.

Which is why I think what ends up , and just a guess, is he signs a 2-3 year fav Pats deal to stay on with the pats

I get what you are saying, but you can reasonably project Cassel to be improving with experience...meaning he hasn't reached his ceiling yet. You could also reasonably project that Cassel wouldn't regress since he is in his 5th year.

So I don't look at the situation as high cost vs. some unknown benefit. I look at it as roster value vs. trade value...which is a great position to be in. 15M is too much to spend for someone with Cassel's ability/experience and is waaaaay too much to spend for a backup QB. But if the Pats can't get value in a trade, they can justify the expense since Cassel has played for a rounding error the last few years.

If the Pats can get value in a trade, I think they do it regardless of Brady's health and pursue plan B (O'Connell or otherwise).

I get what you are saying, but you can reasonably project Cassel to be improving with experience...meaning he hasn't reached his ceiling yet. You could also reasonably project that Cassel wouldn't regress since he is in his 5th year.

So I don't look at the situation as high cost vs. some unknown benefit. I look at it as roster value vs. trade value...which is a great position to be in. 15M is too much to spend for someone with Cassel's ability/experience and is waaaaay too much to spend for a backup QB. But if the Pats can't get value in a trade, they can justify the expense since Cassel has played for a rounding error the last few years.

If the Pats can get value in a trade, I think they do it regardless of Brady's health and pursue plan B (O'Connell or otherwise).

I agree with all of the above. I am currently working under the presumption that some QB starved team will fork over some Day 1 picks for Cassel - but if that is not the case, and we can't get said bounty of picks, then Cassel may have enough value to us to stick around. That said, I don't see that scenario playing out b/c I think we'll get enough in trade to pull the trigger.

Well, if you combine it with the Jets Insider thread that is referenced.

Apparantly, Brady has suffer a major setback that has ruled him out of the 2009 season and possibly his career. There are concerns that he might lose his leg so Brady has gone to Mexico to die a painful death in the arms of his beloved Giselle while sipping Marguaritas on the beach and being catered to his every whim in a 5 star resort.

Did I miss anything?

That said, I don't see that scenario playing out b/c I think we'll get enough in trade to pull the trigger.

Agree, especially with all the recent developments (McNabb sticking, Bradford returning, lots of new/young coaches, Pioli in KC, etc.)

Demand > Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents