PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor that Pats will sign a vet QB, draft a QB at 3 and move Mac EDIT: [was] From Mark Daniel’s mouth to Gods Ears

The Pats can't take Jayden if he is not there

He is becoming binky #1 for the moment.
I’m telling ya…I don’t believe for one second that Williams is a lock at the 1 OR the two.

Something amiss with that kid, and if true it WILL come out in team interviews.

Almost worst case is Williams slides to three and the Pats have to make the call to take him or not.

Just read an article this morning, I'll try and dig it up, it said BB was all in on Daniels and was going to do whatever he had to, to get him. Not sure if that's good or bad, you decide.
To me that means don't pick Daniels.

If this #3 pick is a middling type, and puts up rookie year Mac Jones type #s for the final three years of his rookie deal, sure, Krafty might splash the cash for a non-top $ QB contract. But if this #3 pick lights it up and turns into some amalgamation of Lamar Jackson, Trevor Lawrence, and CJ Stroud, kiss him goodbye.

A new day is dawning in Foxboro. If we get a top tier QB, we aren't going to let him walk.

BB was the one who thought Defense and Special Teams was the formula for success and that all he needed was an average QB.

So we're looking at 17 games of Jacoby Brissett or Teddy Bridgewater while the #3 pick in the draft sits and watches the guy in front of him steer the Patriots to a 5-12 season while the offense, bereft of weapons, averages 18 ppg. Fantastic. And then, just maybe, the 2024 #3 pick is the starter in the second year of his four-year contract.
I would much rather start the #3 pick, the path Daniels is laying out is terrible. We know Kraft's reputation for being a cheap **** (at this point, its fact, not opinion) so is he really going to extend a rookie qb if he's any good and commands a massive $50m/year deal? Hell to the No! If this #3 pick is a middling type, and puts up rookie year Mac Jones type #s for the final three years of his rookie deal, sure, Krafty might splash the cash for a non-top $ QB contract. But if this #3 pick lights it up and turns into some amalgamation of Lamar Jackson, Trevor Lawrence, and CJ Stroud, kiss him goodbye.
If Belichick sent this team to the depths of suckitude to the point that the Pats NEED a MULTI-year rebuild, then perhaps this makes sense because going a full year of these two aforementioned quarterback bums assures the club of another top 10 pick.
I'm for whatever is best longterm. I'd rather another bad year and have the chance to develop a guy and get him some weapons and protection over 2 years than throw him into this ****show offense and watch him struggle and lose confidence.

I see a lot of rumors of the Patriots trading back to 8 with the Falcons

I am ok with that & I was researching who we could get at #8 & I stumbled upon a mock draft that had me scream Noooo !

JJ McCarthy at #8 is something that would make me give up my season tickets that I have had long before Kraft

The kid has no touch & I would rather suffer through another Mac Jones season, then draft McCarthy at #8

I would pick Rattler over McCarthy & he won’t go until 2nd or 3rd round from what where I have seen him projected

If they have to pay the QB that much they'll just skimp in other areas, I think he looks at the payroll as a whole and not at individual players.

The line next year could be a lot better if they play their cards right.
It was already improving by seasons end. If they resign Onwenu than the right side of the line is solidified with Sow and Onwenu. 4 or 5 centers in this class to take over for Andrews. Not sure about Strange at lg but that’s the guy for now. Left tackle will be a weakness probably unless they go Alt, Fashanu or possible Guyton. Don’t see anyone else in this draft as shoe in day 1 starters. Lot of good centers, Guards and RTs though.

As long as were not forking up an 8 figure per year salary for the veteran to hopefully get us 9 wins at best im on with this plan.

I see a lot of rumors of the Patriots trading back to 8 with the Falcons

I am ok with that & I was researching who we could get at #8 & I stumbled upon a mock draft that had me scream Noooo !

JJ McCarthy at #8 is something that would make me give up my season tickets that I have had long before Kraft

The kid has no touch & I would rather suffer through another Mac Jones season, then draft McCarthy at #8

I would pick Rattler over McCarthy & he won’t go until 2nd or 3rd round from what where I have seen him projected

These are the kind of posts you see about EVERY one of these QBs this year.

Is Maye Herbert or Trubisky?
Is Williams Kyler Murray?
Is Daniels a flash?
Is McCarthy - well, you just said it...
If a Qb you really believe in is there at 3, take him. Now play it out pre-draft. if you're Wolffe, which QBs would you take at three.
If the answer is none, go get Baker Mayfield for three years, draft MHJ or trade down, build around him with draft and FA, and lets at least have some chance of being competitive. (I say Mayfield because I see no other vet QB on the market I'd want as more than a bridge other than him).
And yes, I'd trade for Zach Wilson, with the plan that he's sitting and maturing behind my QB. Like Mac here, it can't work for him in NY after getting buried.

These are the kind of posts you see about EVERY one of these QBs this year.

Is Maye Herbert or Trubisky?
Is Williams Kyler Murray?
Is Daniels a flash?
Is McCarthy - well, you just said it...
If a Qb you really believe in is there at 3, take him. Now play it out pre-draft. if you're Wolffe, which QBs would you take at three.
If the answer is none, go get Baker Mayfield for three years, draft MHJ or trade down, build around him with draft and FA, and lets at least have some chance of being competitive. (I say Mayfield because I see no other vet QB on the market I'd want as more than a bridge other than him).
And yes, I'd trade for Zach Wilson, with the plan that he's sitting and maturing behind my QB. Like Mac here, it can't work for him in NY after getting buried.

I don’t have a problem with Mayfield or another veteran QB, I just don’t want McCarthy at all. My post mentioned trading back to #8, not picking him at #3.

So we're looking at 17 games of Jacoby Brissett or Teddy Bridgewater while the #3 pick in the draft sits and watches the guy in front of him steer the Patriots to a 5-12 season while the offense, bereft of weapons, averages 18 ppg. Fantastic.
Bridgewater retired. Brissett would be fine by me, has some mobility and is familiar w/ AvP. Steelers scored 17.9 ppg and ended 10-7 & in the playoffs.

And then, just maybe, the 2024 #3 pick is the starter in the second year of his four-year contract.
I would much rather start the #3 pick, the path Daniels is laying out is terrible. We know Kraft's reputation for being a cheap **** (at this point, its fact, not opinion) so is he really going to extend a rookie qb if he's any good and commands a massive $50m/year deal? Hell to the No!
Lol at you worrying about what will happen 4 years from now. By then $50M/yr may be cheap. I'll stay grounded with what happens in FAcy.

If this #3 pick is a middling type, and puts up rookie year Mac Jones type #s for the final three years of his rookie deal, sure, Krafty might splash the cash for a non-top $ QB contract. But if this #3 pick lights it up and turns into some amalgamation of Lamar Jackson, Trevor Lawrence, and CJ Stroud, kiss him goodbye.
You need to get back on your meds.

If Belichick sent this team to the depths of suckitude to the point that the Pats NEED a MULTI-year rebuild, then perhaps this makes sense because going a full year of these two aforementioned quarterback bums assures the club of another top 10 pick.
Lol, you're trolling sucks ass.

So we're looking at 17 games of Jacoby Brissett or Teddy Bridgewater while the #3 pick in the draft sits and watches the guy in front of him steer the Patriots to a 5-12 season while the offense, bereft of weapons, averages 18 ppg. Fantastic. And then, just maybe, the 2024 #3 pick is the starter in the second year of his four-year contract.
I would much rather start the #3 pick, the path Daniels is laying out is terrible. We know Kraft's reputation for being a cheap **** (at this point, its fact, not opinion) so is he really going to extend a rookie qb if he's any good and commands a massive $50m/year deal? Hell to the No! If this #3 pick is a middling type, and puts up rookie year Mac Jones type #s for the final three years of his rookie deal, sure, Krafty might splash the cash for a non-top $ QB contract. But if this #3 pick lights it up and turns into some amalgamation of Lamar Jackson, Trevor Lawrence, and CJ Stroud, kiss him goodbye.

Cousin, Have to agree with you. The absurd logic is pick one of the holy three and perhaps one of them ( Williams?) is a definite maybe.The others are Zack Wilson, Mitch Trubiski, Trey Lance possibilities.

If I am a Fan, I want competitive, not another 4-13 season
How many want another 4-13 on this forum?
You have less than a 50% shot that the pick at #2 or #3 or even #1 (talking about you Bryce Young) will be a franchise guy..

Questions to all of the "take a QB at #3" Fans:
  1. -As pick #3 that kid is person non grata for a year or so perhaps a wasted pick for the roster?
-Who is going to block if you are starting (Stroud was the worse case scenario for us at #3 and how often does a kid start in his rookie season with success?) We have a bad OL right now

-Who is going to catch passes from this new savior?

IMO yes Draft a QB. What are the differences between 1-7 of the top 2024 OBs. But give us some warm bodies in the first couple rounds that have some quality to build a roster. Get a vet QB who can win games..........Brissett? Nyet on winning to be at least competitive.
I think Cousins is only worth his perceived value to the Vikes. Mayfield should sign back with the Bucs.

That leaves Flacco and Minshew (we haven't talk too much about him) as real choices that can win for a year or two. We know what Flacco is. Minshew was 6-7 with 3.300 yards 15 TD's and 9 INT . Respectable as a back up but with major injuries to the OL. He's only 27. He led the Colts to 10th in scoring....how about that? OK, sign him as the starter, sign Harrison JR. or Drop down and take an OT, get your QB in Round 2 or 3

OR

Get Wilson who won twice as many games as we won with a similarly bad Team and pick up an OT and a WR along the way when you swap pick #3 for pick #12 and a 1st in 2025 and pick up Boles and Jeudy (they need the CAP space. Wilson is only 35.Juedy and Boles are on their last year so we have time to figure them out. The Broncos pay his salary.

Would we win more games with Brissett or Wilson? I'd rather have Garapolo that Brissett.

That is my humble take

DW Toys

Get some tall receivers and jump ball joe will either connect or draw a dpi flag. who says we wont be moving the ball. love the plan!

Cousin, Have to agree with you. The absurd logic is pick one of the holy three and perhaps one of them ( Williams?) is a definite maybe.The others are Zack Wilson, Mitch Trubiski, Trey Lance possibilities.

If I am a Fan, I want competitive, not another 4-13 season
How many want another 4-13 on this forum?
You have less than a 50% shot that the pick at #2 or #3 or even #1 (talking about you Bryce Young) will be a franchise guy..

Questions to all of the "take a QB at #3" Fans:
  1. -As pick #3 that kid is person non grata for a year or so perhaps a wasted pick for the roster?
-Who is going to block if you are starting (Stroud was the worse case scenario for us at #3 and how often does a kid start in his rookie season with success?) We have a bad OL right now

-Who is going to catch passes from this new savior?

IMO yes Draft a QB. What are the differences between 1-7 of the top 2024 OBs. But give us some warm bodies in the first couple rounds that have some quality to build a roster. Get a vet QB who can win games..........Brissett? Nyet on winning to be at least competitive.
I think Cousins is only worth his perceived value to the Vikes. Mayfield should sign back with the Bucs.

That leaves Flacco and Minshew (we haven't talk too much about him) as real choices that can win for a year or two. We know what Flacco is. Minshew was 6-7 with 3.300 yards 15 TD's and 9 INT . Respectable as a back up but with major injuries to the OL. He's only 27. He led the Colts to 10th in scoring....how about that? OK, sign him as the starter, sign Harrison JR. or Drop down and take an OT, get your QB in Round 2 or 3

OR

Get Wilson who won twice as many games as we won with a similarly bad Team and pick up an OT and a WR along the way when you swap pick #3 for pick #12 and a 1st in 2025 and pick up Boles and Jeudy (they need the CAP space. Wilson is only 35.Juedy and Boles are on their last year so we have time to figure them out. The Broncos pay his salary.

Would we win more games with Brissett or Wilson? I'd rather have Garapolo that Brissett.

That is my humble take

DW Toys
Sorry cousin but being scared to take a QB @ #3 because he may be a bust is a non starter for me. You need to trust your evaluations. If they think he's got a high ceiling, take him. If not, pass. You then go on to suggest to pick a QB in a later round, like that guy isn't almost 100% guaranteed to be a bust.

Flacco? He's a ****ing statue and throws a bunch of picks. Minshew? Maybe, but how's he going to live in his prison bus in NE? Wilson? Lol

seahawks-russell.gif

Sorry cousin but being scared to take a QB @ #3 because he may be a bust is a non starter for me. You need to trust your evaluations. If they think he's got a high ceiling, take him. If not, pass. You then go on to suggest to pick a QB in a later round, like that guy isn't almost 100% guaranteed to be a bust.

Flacco? He's a ****ing statue and throws a bunch of picks. Minshew? Maybe, but how's he going to live in his prison bus in NE? Wilson? Lol

View attachment 56768
By the tjme of the draft, there will be few QB vets to pick from. The Pats, right now, have to make their evaluations and try to calculate (guess) whether or not a guy they think is worth that pick will be there when they draft. If they only see two who meet their evals, will those two likely go 1, 2 in the draft?
Once they're done with that process, to me, if there isn't really a great chance for them to get "their guy," then I want a COMPETENT QB brought in to run the team through the next at least 2, probably 3 (since next year's QB class looks weak and I don't want another 4-win or less season), years, r maybe going forward indefinitely.

Right now...Flacco, Wilson, and Cousins are too old to fill that slot, JimmyG too undependable.

Make the trade for Z. Wilson, sure, and SIT HIM behind the one gut I see who could lead this team back to playoff territory: Mayfield.

If you do that and find you miscalculated (your draft guy was there!), draft him anyway and let him sit for a year or two...

By the tjme of the draft, there will be few QB vets to pick from. The Pats, right now, have to make their evaluations and try to calculate (guess) whether or not a guy they think is worth that pick will be there when they draft. If they only see two who meet their evals, will those two likely go 1, 2 in the draft?
Once they're done with that process, to me, if there isn't really a great chance for them to get "their guy," then I want a COMPETENT QB brought in to run the team through the next at least 2, probably 3 (since next year's QB class looks weak and I don't want another 4-win or less season), years, r maybe going forward indefinitely.

Right now...Flacco, Wilson, and Cousins are too old to fill that slot, JimmyG too undependable.

Make the trade for Z. Wilson, sure, and SIT HIM behind the one gut I see who could lead this team back to playoff territory: Mayfield.

If you do that and find you miscalculated (your draft guy was there!), draft him anyway and let him sit for a year or two...
I don't think Mayfield will be available unless they throw a bag of money at him. Which I guess is possible. Would be nice to bring Evans along with him if that's the plan.

I don't think Mayfield will be available unless they throw a bag of money at him. Which I guess is possible. Would be nice to bring Evans along with him if that's the plan.
Tampa didn't offer him a long-term deal. AVP worked with him in Cleveland.

I love the idea of getting a great QB on a rookie deal...how often does that happen with the 3rd pick (likely the 3rd QB off the board)? If the scouting reports on these guys were more positive, I'd be more optimistic.
Those reports are all over the place.

"I wouldn't take Maye in the first round."
"Daniels is afraid to throw over the middle."
"Williams wasn't good in the locker room."

And on and on.

My second choice behind Mayfield (distantly) would be Fields, but I wouldn't give up anything more than a late 3 for him, if that.

Personally I'd prefer Ridley. Evans is a nice player, but goes MIA to often in games. Ridley and Hollywood brown are definitely attainable for us this offseason or Gabe Davis... doubt he'd leave Allen though..

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back