PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: D.Edwards to Pats for 3rd - Per SD sports radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Live in LA, my buddy just called me a few hours ago--he is a HUGE chargers fan--said the very solid rumor going right now is SD is dealing Edwards to Pats for a 3rd.

Again, this was heard on SD sports radio, but my buddy is a diehard Chargers fan who listens to them all the time and he pretty much talked like it was a done deal.

For what its worth, my friend was pissed. He loves DE and what he brings to the table, despite being early 30s.

Personally, as I stated in another DE thread, I'd love him for a 3rd. I honestly think he would be Roman Phifer Part II. I know a lot will say a 3rd for a LB on the "decline" in his early 30s is way too much to give, think back--if the Pats could have gotten the production they did from Phifer for a 3rd, it would be a no brainer. IMO, that's essentially what they'll be getting if they do this deal.

I hope to god its true.

Also, my buddy said, when they trade for Edwards, that Beisel was the clear man cut.

Re: D.Edwards to Pats for 3rd - Per SD sports radio

Interesting rumor. If true, I wonder what that says about Tedy's injury, if anything.

As for the source, I was recently in SD and what passes for sports talk radio out there is like seafood in Nebraska. It is nothing special. They had no scoops on the MLB trade deadline.

BradfordPatsFan said:
Interesting rumor. If true, I wonder what that says about Tedy's injury, if anything.

As for the source, I was recently in SD and what passes for sports talk radio out there is like seafood in Nebraska. It is nothing special. They had no scoops on the MLB trade deadline.
Well, Boston radio isn't much better from what I've heard :D

Anyway, if it was from Lee Hamilton - I think he just makes things up although he is entertaining.

Last edited by a moderator:

BradfordPatsFan said:
I would say nothing. With Colvin, Vrabel starting outside and TBC spelling them, then Bruschi, Seau and Edwards would be a pretty good inside rotation.

OH HELL YEAH!! Okay, must contain myself in case this doesn't go down. HELL WITH THAT!! :rocker: :rocker:

A 3rd would meet the Chargers requirement of a Day 1 pick. Still don't think it will happen though.

"Ladies and gentlemen, for tonight's performance the roles of Ted Johnson and Roman Phifer will be played by the 2002 San Diego Chargers."

Works for me.

Last edited:

I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm, as I'm seeing no word on Charger messageboards as of yet, but the fact that the source went into enough detail that they said Beisel would be cut to make way for Edwards is what makes it seem legit to me.

But if its true I'm stoked, as this *really* solidifies our LB corps my mid-season.

SoonerPatriot said:
A 3rd would meet the Chargers requirement of a Day 1 pick. Still don't think it will happen though.

Hey, if they want to consider 3.32 a Day 1 pick, more power to 'em. ;)

tombonneau said:
I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm, as I'm seeing no word on Charger messageboards as of yet, but the fact that the source went into enough detail that they said Beisel would be cut to make way for Edwards is what makes it seem legit to me.

But if its true I'm stoked, as this *really* solidifies our LB corps my mid-season.
I haven't seen a thing anywhere. As I said, SD sports guy Lee Hamilton makes things up - I'm sure of it - so I wouldn't pay any attention until you hear something else.

Edwards' tackles stats are misleading in that he makes many of them beyond the line of scrimmage. It does indicate that he has been durable despite weighing under 230. I understand he has a bad back, but maybe that is coachspeak for, "he aint playing until we trade him". If this rumor is true, my feeling is Bruschi and Seau on run downs, Bruschi and Edwards on passing downs.

If true...and thats an IF....thats a big time vetran who can play LINEBACKER and has proven he can make tackles and hawk for the ball ( man, look at the stats ). We just signed a future pro bowler who is in his mid 30s, why not get another savvy vet to help us in our area of concern?

there is nothing wrong with making Edwards a Patriot for a silly 3rd rounder. Thats bodering on award winning comedy.

who's next, Tomlinson? Welcome to NE, where fed up Chargers go to win rings.:rolleyes:

can't sleep...nfl live coming up...yeah, more T.O. hype.

the taildragger said:
who's next, Tomlinson? Welcome to NE, where fed up Chargers go to win rings.:rolleyes:

can't sleep...nfl live coming up...yeah, more T.O. hype.

If somehow we could turn TO hype into energy we could solve all of the world's energy problems 100 times over. Gas would be 25 cents a gallon. Your electric bill would be 5 bucks a month.

The media is always fighting "the last war". It takes them a year or two before they realize a ship has already sailed. This TO story is beyond boring, as is Parcells. He reminds me of a fat, punchdrunk Robert Deniro telling bad jokes at the end of "Raging Bull".

PonyExpress said:
Edwards' tackles stats are misleading in that he makes many of them beyond the line of scrimmage. It does indicate that he has been durable despite weighing under 230. I understand he has a bad back, but maybe that is coachspeak for, "he aint playing until we trade him". If this rumor is true, my feeling is Bruschi and Seau on run downs, Bruschi and Edwards on passing downs.

FWIW, I've heard--and think it was "confirmed" on PFT--that the "bad back" was a tacit ploy by AJ Smith & Edwards to keep him out of camp & games where he would risk an injury, thus lessening his trade value.

Trust me, if DE does not end up on the Pats, he will end up on some other team that does not play in San Diego. No way he goes back to the Chargers after all this bad blood between him & AJ.

I'd ship a 3rd rounder away in a heart beat for Edwards...

More BS rumors, like Branch caving in.

Kdo5 said:
I'd ship a 3rd rounder away in a heart beat for Edwards...

I take the opposite approach. A third for Edwards is too high. While he still may be productive, he's a little light for our system and he's clearly slowing down. I'd prefer to pass.

Posted at a popular SD forum to see if they've heard anything. I'll probably get laughed out of there :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft