PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: D.Edwards to Pats for 3rd - Per SD sports radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: D.Edwards to Pats for 3rd - Per SD sports radio

I'd take Donnie Edwards for a 3rd. We do have a history of turning supposedly "past their prime" players into outstanding players. Of course, IF any of this is true. I'd file this under Wishful Thinking for now.

If this is true, I like it. I liked the Seau signing, too. It's like Phifer and Cox. Beisel is clearly not going to do it, though he's not horrible as depth behind those guys. Can Edwards play both inside and outside in the 3-4? If so he lets Vrabel play where he's needed.

jaychamp said:
Posted at a popular SD forum to see if they've heard anything. I'll probably get laughed out of there :D
Link to the "popular forum"? :D

Um, you guys really falling for yet another of these, friend heard it on the radio rumors????

WAKE UP!!!:p

NOT GONNA HAPPEN.:eek:

SaCaCh said:
Um, you guys really falling for yet another of these, friend heard it on the radio rumors????

If the trade didn't make any sense at all I would tend to not believe it but this just makes way too much sense .

SaCaCh said:

Hey, I'm with you, I'm one of the last guys to fall for/contribute to these types of threads (let alone start!), but the "news" broke at about 7-8pm PST, which means if it is for real, it won't get announced until tomorrow morning, so its not like the fact that it has yet to "break" nationally is working against it.

If we hear nothing tomorrow, obv. it's bogus, but I just wanted to pass on what I heard, and I believe I caveated it enough with its sports radio orgins to make it clear that I was not reporting Fact.

Though again I'm really hoping its true. :)

he's definitely moving out...so I'm 100% sure that it's at least 50% true.

Ok, just called my buddy to probe him for more details: he heard it from "Philly" Bill Werndell, an old-school newsguy from (obviously) Philly, lots of East Coast connections.

Anyway, this guy broke the Seau-to-Pats news immediately after his retirement in San Diego, which, again, my buddy called me about, but I disregarded, bc who gives a **** about Junior Seau. ;)

So regardless I think this guy's recent track record is pretty solid; we'll see what it looks like tomorrow morning.

Hopefully I'm not getting peoples' hopes up/down.

tombonneau said:
Ok, just called my buddy to probe him for more details: he heard it from "Philly" Bill Werndell, an old-school newsguy from (obviously) Philly, lots of East Coast connections.

Anyway, this guy broke the Seau-to-Pats news immediately after his retirement in San Diego, which, again, my buddy called me about, but I disregarded, bc who gives a **** about Junior Seau. ;)

So regardless I think this guy's recent track record is pretty solid; we'll see what it looks like tomorrow morning.

Hopefully I'm not getting peoples' hopes up/down.
Werndell is actually reasonably reliable - at least he was about 5 years ago when I listened to him a bit. Certainly more so than Lee Hamilton ;)

Edward's size always scares me in a 3-4 scheme, but he's held up pretty well in San Diego. Can't say a third round pick makes me enthusiastic about the swap, I'd prefer to send a 4th for a guy that is definitely headed out of town... but it wouldn't make me hate the deal. And the linebacking corps would be real solid, with an inside rotation of Bruschi, Seau and Edwards. We'd have 3 solid starters to rotate inside and out both, potentially.

Last edited:

I'm with you Richter. I do like Edwards. A whole lot. But a third?!?! No effin' thank you.

Has San Diego be come our *****es??? Or maybe our new farm club!!!!

nescott said:
Has San Diego be come our *****es??? Or maybe our new farm club!!!!

I don't remember the last time a farm team killed the big league team at home. Last time the Patriots met the Chargers, I'm pretty sure they made the Pats their... yeah.

I soooooo hope this is true. One more solid starter at LB and Branch coming back makes this the best and deepest Pats team of the dynasty era, IMO.

Here's hoping both happen. :eat1:

T-ShirtDynasty said:
I'm with you Richter. I do like Edwards. A whole lot. But a third?!?! No effin' thank you.

Well alot of our thirds have not been very impressive in recent drafts so its not like we are giving up a whole lot.

Check out Booby Grier's thirds if you want to choke and gag

SaCaCh said:
Well alot of our thirds have not been very impressive in recent drafts so its not like we are giving up a whole lot.

As much bad luck as anything. Brock Williams and his blown out knee, Guss Scott always being injured, J.R. Redmond being a Bobby Grier draft board guy (though he did help win a SB). Hobbs and Kaczur are looking pretty good though, and I think Dave Thomas will really improve the 3rd round pick track record of the team. Note that several years (2001-03) the Pats didn't have a third, they seem to like trading those picks.

If this is true:

What are his knocks? Old? Maybe, maybe not. There are plenty gentleman smashmouthers still out there. This is for professional spectators (coaches) to sort out. Small, tackles behind the line of scrimmage? Football is a team sport. Any man with triple digit tackles finds the ball. Period. If anything negative, it reflects on his team. A third round is too much. This team is not perfect and has questions, primarily at this said players position. Here, I say this may be true. Yet, the Pats are savvy with the draft and have picks to play with regularly. A slight gamble to shore up a weakness today, which most teams scramble to solve endlessly. Saints fans are hoping to get Beisel because they hear he may be getting cut. If Edwards can give us two solid seasons at LB, for a third and if he CAN still play, it is better than hoping on a third and waiting for it to come to fruition, particularly with our LB situation. Our vaunted front seven is losing respect and it is quite possibly deserved.

I have no problem with giving up a 3rd. This is obviously a trade to help us now and potentially help us win another Super Bowl, which is the main goal right? Even if our last 3 3rd rounders do end up being solid players for us we still have to remember that a 3rd rounder is still potential. We won't lose a Super Bowl by trading our 3rd round pick. Plus over the years Belichick and Pioli have never had a problem trading around on draft day to get what they want. So i say Edwards for a 3rd..:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes