PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: D.Edwards to Pats for 3rd - Per SD sports radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: D.Edwards to Pats for 3rd - Per SD sports radio

Pioli and BB gave up a 3rd last year for Starks, so this is a no-brainer.

Our LB'ers go from an area of concern to a strength. Seau would be the ultimate to put in a back-up, mentor, type of role.

Does this mean Branch is back???

I wonder what this move says about the Branch situation..my thought is that it means he is back in the fold...why?? If Branch was not signed, my thinking is they would pull the trigger on a WR..and they wouldn't use a high pick for a LB..WIth Branch here, a 3rd for a LB makes sense...and doing that would insure a totally solid LB corps.

The upgrade from Monty Beisel to Donnie Edwards is worth a 3rd to me (actually it's probably worth my first-born to me ... I can't watch Beisel run around cluelessly and get bowled over by blockers anymore). The Pats have half the second-day picks in the entire draft, it seems ... they can afford to give up what will turn out to be one of the last (maybe the very last) pick of the first day.

This trade would, if it happens, make the Patriots defense S-I-C-K. They'd be deep and good at every level of the D, great line, solid and veteran LBs, deep secondary ... whew. With Seymour/Wilfork/Warren creating absolute chaos on the line, a group of talented, savvy LBs can really clean up. And I'm a believer in Pees.

The Bills and Jets may never make it past mid-field, if this trade goes through.

Don't mean to throw a wet blanket on this, but didn't it take Beisel and C. Brown about 12 games last year to even understand our D system? And Beisel had a full TC.

ILB is one of the most system-knowledgeable positions on the field.

I love Donnie Edwards. I just would've loved Donnie Edwards more if we obtained him with more than 8 days to go before our last PS game.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would make this trade in a heartbeat.

I love Donnie Edwards as a player. Even if he were only used at a nickel LB he would be valuable, because he can cover better than any of the Patriots' LB.

My only concern is that the guy has missed most of camp with a sore back. Back problems scare me, especially with an ILB in the 3-4, where they take on OG a lot. I would imagine the Pats would scrutinize any problems carefully.

If the back is fine and not a chronic thing, then I'd love to trade a 3rd for him.

My other concern would be money. He is making $3.55M this year, and he reportedly wants a contract extension. It is one of the reasons he is unhappy with Charger's management.

He is a high-character guy who fits with the Pats in terms of intangibles, however.

Last edited:

mgteich said:
I would make this trade in a heartbeat.

Or yesterday, whichever comes first. This would bring our D over the top and this season will be another memorable one.

Wow talk about adding depth to your LB position.

OMG.

Jeebus.At this point Harrison,Seau,Edwards?.Lets just bring LT and Gates in here too while we are at it.If edwards comes in,the leadership emotion and energy level would be out of hand.My only concern is the age factor.Definitely some great leadership and consistency.However isn't Edwards in his early 30's now?.Isn't a third rounder a bit hight.Just my opinion..

Some truth to go with this rumor

Per KFFL, the Chargers have broken off talks with the Saints regarding a trade for Edwards. New Orleans was offering a 4th rounder and refused to go any lower. According to the KFFL scoop, the Saints were the only team in contact with San Diego at the time.

Re: Some truth to go with this rumor

stinkypete said:
Per KFFL, the Chargers have broken off talks with the Saints regarding a trade for Edwards. New Orleans was offering a 4th rounder and refused to go any lower. According to the KFFL scoop, the Saints were the only team in contact with San Diego at the time.

A Saints 4th rounder vs. a Pats 3rd rounder?????

If I were AJ Smith, I'd actually take the Saints 4th rounder. Hear me out:

1) If all goes as expected, we're talking the difference of no more than 8-10 spots, could be less.

2) Front offices tend to prefer early 4th round picks to late 3rd round picks (especially if they're within 8 spots or so of each other) since they have 12 hours to mull over the early day 2 pick, versus 5-10 minutes or so for the late 3rd rounder. The first pick of the 4th round is always a coveted front office asset.

For these reasons, AJ Smith rejecting the Saints 4th round offer doesn't bode well for the Pats 3rd round offer. He's looking for more (perhaps a throw-in).

Last edited:

shmessy said:
Don't mean to throw a wet blanket on this, but didn't it take Beisel and C. Brown about 12 games last year to even understand our D system? And Beisel had a full TC.
You didnt hear? With Rodney, Junior and Donnie...the Pats will be playing the San Diego D this year... :D

stinkypete said:
Thats actually great news then. Patriots should jump all over that deal as quickly as possible.

shmessy said:
A Saints 4th rounder vs. a Pats 3rd rounder?????

If I were AJ Smith, I'd actually take the Saints 4th rounder. Hear me out:

1) If all goes as expected, we're talking the difference of no more than 8-10 spots, could be less.

2) Front offices tend to prefer early 4th round picks to late 3rd round picks (especially if they're within 8 spots or so of each other) since they have 12 hours to mull over the early day 2 pick, versus 5-10 minutes or so for the late 3rd rounder. The first pick of the 4th round is always a coveted front office asset.

For these reasons, AJ Smith rejecting the Saints 4th round offer doesn't bode well for the Pats 3rd round offer. He's looking for more (perhaps a throw-in).

You gotta be kidding. Just from a trade value perspective, a 3rd round draft pick even if it is just 8 - 10 spots ahead of a 4th rounder is still much more valuable. Just listen to what the Chargers want, they want a FIRST DAY draft pick. That should tell you enough about how much more valuable a 3rd rounder is versus a 4th.

It does look like Edwards will get traded somewhere. This doesn't confirm any interest from NE, but today's SD Union Tribune reports:

Where just recently there was quiet, there is now significant activity. As of last night, no deal had been struck, but sources said yesterday the Chargers are entertaining suitors for linebacker Donnie Edwards. Available for trade since April and at odds with management, Edwards has not practiced since the first day of training camp because of a bad back. The Saints last week offered a fourth-round pick for Edwards, but Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith is likely to hold out for a first-day pick.

If the Pats do have interest, they would want to talk to Edwards to get a grip on how he would feel about filling the role they envision for him and how his contract situation will be impacted. That is their MO in past deals.

Also, they would need to be certain his back is OK, since he has been hurt all of camp.

smg93 said:
You gotta be kidding. Just from a trade value perspective, a 3rd round draft pick even if it is just 8 - 10 spots ahead of a 4th rounder is still much more valuable. Just listen to what the Chargers want, they want a FIRST DAY draft pick. That should tell you enough about how much more valuable a 3rd rounder is versus a 4th.

Obviously, you didn't fully read my post. Yes, superficially a 3rd rounder is better. But an early fourth rounder is almost as appreciated by a front office as a late 3rd rounder because of the TIME element. They can strategize better their pick with 12 extra hours. This is a big deal logistically to a FO (especially if we're talking no more than 8 spots or so). Therefore, if Smith rejected pathetic New Orleans' 4th round offer, he would definitely reject high contender New England's 3rd round offer. There would have to be a sweetener to effect this deal.

A 3rd rounder from the Saints could get this deal done. A 3rd rounder from the Pats doesn't.

Last edited:

NE39 said:
It does look like Edwards will get traded somewhere. This doesn't confirm any interest from NE, but today's SD Union Tribune reports:

Where just recently there was quiet, there is now significant activity. As of last night, no deal had been struck, but sources said yesterday the Chargers are entertaining suitors for linebacker Donnie Edwards. Available for trade since April and at odds with management, Edwards has not practiced since the first day of training camp because of a bad back. The Saints last week offered a fourth-round pick for Edwards, but Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith is likely to hold out for a first-day pick.

If the Pats do have interest, they would want to talk to Edwards to get a grip on how he would feel about filling the role they envision for him and how his contract situation will be impacted. That is their MO in past deals.

Also, they would need to be certain his back is OK, since he has been hurt all of camp.
He could be pulling a Manny Ramirez type situation and just saying his back is hurt so he doesnt have to practice.

SeanBruschi54 said:
He could be pulling a Manny Ramirez type situation and just saying his back is hurt so he doesnt have to practice.

He isn't that kind of player. I'd be shocked if he was faking an injury. He is a high-character player.

I 3rd is a bit high for me, unless the Pats can swing another deal to grab a different third perhaps, or a second 4th.

Last edited by a moderator:

pats1 said:
I 3rd is a bit high for me, unless the Pats can swing another deal to grab a different third perhaps, or a second 4th.

A 3rd and a 5th might work. We'll have several 5, 6 and 7th rounders when we get the comp picks for Ashworth, Givens, Willie Mac and AV. Plus the Tucker and Gorin picks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back