PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Browns having fire sale (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do people not comprehend that even if Logan Ryan is serviceable as a starting CB we have absolutely noone behind him if he or Butler gets hurt. We need a corner.

I agree with you. Most agree with you. So far, Bill Belichick does not seem to agree with you.

Obviously, we'd like to see a CB signing before Tuesday at 4pm, but we may have to resort to the waiver wire and/or bringing back a guy like Swanson. I'm sure Belichick has dealt with these lack of depth issues before, so he's got to have some kind of plan in place.

As a matter of fact, we've seen emergency guys like Brown and Edelman playing CB, so that tells you how thin he's willing to go if the need comes down to it. One would have to assume that McCourty would be our emergency option should Ryan or Butler go down, at least in some capacity.

I agree with you. Most agree with you. So far, Bill Belichick does not seem to agree with you.

Belichick's brought in CBs for a look. He's also gone to more safeties in nickel and dime than CBs. It's pretty clear that he does agree. Unfortunately, knowing the needs and finding the fixes in an affordable manner are two different things.

Wait...there's a concussion protocol that needs to be passed in order to be traded? :D

Is this so he doesn't sign his name in triplicate or something? (I kid)

He has to pass a physical. If he can't pass the concussion protocols, he doesn't pass the physical.

Belichick's brought in CBs for a look. He's also gone to more safeties in nickel and dime than CBs. It's pretty clear that he does agree. Unfortunately, knowing the needs and finding the fixes in an affordable manner are two different things.

I'm questioning the thought that we need a bigger name CB, which is what's being thrown around lately. Perhaps I incorrectly assumed that is what was being implied?

Obviously, we could use another CB for depth, but thus far Belichick has not seemed to be overly concerned outside of bringing in Melvin. One would have to think that someone could've been brought in from somewhere, should he have wanted to pull the trigger.

Actually if I am right about the cap rules and my speculation about his contract is correct, Joe Thomas would make perfect sense. Of course it all depends if my suppositions are true.

1. I'm not afraid of his 80MM contract, because all the up front money stays in Cleveland, and I bet it was substantial.
2. We would be responsible for about 50% of the cash owed this year (minus whatever roster bonus already paid) I think that number would be under $5MM and we have room for that.
3. So we trade a 3 or 4 for Thomas and greatly improve our OT situation. Volmer can go from being a decent LT to a premier RT, and Thomas moves to LT and we have a guy who at worst is as good as Solder was. The short term benefits are huge. You can keep Williams at TE and don't have to sign another blocking one. the Depth on the OL increases, and when Cannon comes back Flemming can go back to the PS.
4. Long term, you can look at it this way. If Thomas is the guy his reputation says he is, and he is THE premier LT in the game, you simply let Solder go to FA (with our thanks) and use the money you were going to use to sign him, on Thomas, plus a million or 2 more/year than it would to have kept Solder.

If you decide he wouldn't be worth the money at LT, then treat him as a rental, and release him at the end of the season, and sign Solder long term. I'm pretty sure the only money we'd be responsible for is the cash we paid him in salary for the rest of 2015.

I could be wrong on some of it. But I see the loss of Solder being bigger than most. Thomas might be a way to at least replace him, if not upgrade him at a reasonable price for an elite LT, in both short term and long term scenarios.

Let me know if that makes sense

Last edited:
How do people not comprehend that even if Logan Ryan is serviceable as a starting CB we have absolutely noone behind him if he or Butler gets hurt. We need a corner.
Someone has to be willing to make a trade, there is not an excess of cb depth right now

Someone has to be willing to make a trade, there is not an excess of cb depth right now

There are a lot of garbage teams with decent players. If the Pats want to trade for someone they can.

Actually if I am right about the cap rules and my speculation about his contract is correct, Joe Thomas would make perfect sense. Of course it all depends if my suppositions are true.

1. I'm not afraid of his 80MM contract, because all the up front money stays in Cleveland, and I bet it was substantial.
2. We would be responsible for about 50% of the cash owed this year (minus whatever roster bonus already paid) I think that number would be under $5MM and we have room for that.
3. So we trade a 3 or 4 for Thomas and greatly improve our OT situation. Volmer can go from being a decent LT to a premier RT, and Thomas moves to LT and we have a guy who at worst is as good as Solder was. The short term benefits are huge. You can keep Williams at TE and don't have to sign another blocking one. the Depth on the OL increases, and when Cannon comes back Flemming can go back to the PS.
4. Long term, you can look at it this way. If Thomas is the guy his reputation says he is, and he is THE premier LT in the game, you simply let Solder go to FA (with our thanks) and use the money you were going to use to sign him, on Thomas, plus a million or 2 more/year than it would to have kept Solder.

If you decide he wouldn't be worth the money at LT, then treat him as a rental, and release him at the end of the season, and sign Solder long term. I'm pretty sure the only money we'd be responsible for is the cash we paid him in salary for the rest of 2015.

I could be wrong on some of it. But I see the loss of Solder being bigger than most. Thomas might be a way to at least replace him, if not upgrade him at a reasonable price for an elite LT, in both short term and long term scenarios.

Let me know if that makes sense

A few concerns that I may have to the idea of trading for Thomas :

1) Having a guy like Thomas would be extraordinary, but at last check a few days ago, there was only around 3m dollars in available cap space.

2) There's also no way in the world that we could trade a "3rd or 4th" for one of the top OL in the entire game. We're talking about a guy who was selected with the #3 pick overall, who has gone on to start in every single game since 2007, while also making the pro bowl in 8 straight years. One would have to think that there are very few players who are worth 1st round picks in trade compensation (per team), and I think an argument could be made that Joe Thomas is worth that to the right bidder. Again, people tend to overrate 1st round trade value, so I'd probably put him at a 2nd rounder--but there's no way they'd part with him for anything less than a 2nd, and even then it may be a 2nd + a player or later round pick.

3) Nate Solder was signed to a 2 year extension through spring of 2018, so he's already locked up.

I don't think anyone can calculate what the "market" really is until later today when deals DO get done. I heard the same ministrations a couple of years ago about the value of Anquan Boldin. "no way he goes for less than a 3rd...I'd give a 2nd.." he went for a 6th round pick.

If I was running this roster would I give a 2nd round pick for Thomas? No. I'd make a low ball offer and nothing more. Our coach TRADES away starting players with 6,7,8,9 years of experience. He doesn't hand over 2nd round or even 3rd round picks for aging vets.What Belichick does is sign vets that are free agents or for very low picks. Recently,free agent Brian Waters is a prime example.

I know it'd be great to somehow get Thomas here but realistically this is just a pipe dream. There is no way this organization gives up a high draft pick for this kind of player.

Last edited:
From a cap space standpoint, how would it work if you traded Solder for Thomas?

A few concerns that I may have to the idea of trading for Thomas :

1) Having a guy like Thomas would be extraordinary, but at last check a few days ago, there was only around 3m dollars in available cap space.

2) There's also no way in the world that we could trade a "3rd or 4th" for one of the top OL in the entire game. We're talking about a guy who was selected with the #3 pick overall, who has gone on to start in every single game since 2007, while also making the pro bowl in 8 straight years. One would have to think that there are very few players who are worth 1st round picks in trade compensation (per team), and I think an argument could be made that Joe Thomas is worth that to the right bidder. Again, people tend to overrate 1st round trade value, so I'd probably put him at a 2nd rounder--but there's no way they'd part with him for anything less than a 2nd, and even then it may be a 2nd + a player or later round pick.

3) Nate Solder was signed to a 2 year extension through spring of 2018, so he's already locked up.
Well there you go, another brilliant idea shot down by the facts. ;). It's the perfect double play. I forgot that Solder was re-signed, and I got the cap room wrong. Either one would make this deal impossible in my eyes.

But here's the thing about the trade value. While Thomas might carry a first round value based on his talent (assuming he is still playing at a high level); his contract is baggage that will drop that value significantly. However, that issue is made moot, by the other 2, alas.

This doesn't make the need for a LT disappear. Are there any other starting quality LT's out there who might be picked up in a trade, or are we going to just muddle along with what we have. Don't forget we won our first superbowl with a rookie at LT (Light), and a 2nd year guy who was out of the league 2 years later at RT (Robinson-Randle)

Trade Mayo & Solder for Thomas. Our cap would be reduced by those salaries. Mayo isn't playing much & if you don't want to risk resigning Solder, go with Thomas.

You have to be able to play man coverage
in this league. We need a corner that can do some of that. The way the donks play man coverage's ridiculous. They made rodgers look like alex smith. Rodgers should be embarrassed.

I really do think we need to pick up a tackle. The Browns fire sale may or may not be the answer, but I will be a little disappointed if we fail to sign anyone at all. It seems to me like we should be (at minimum) developing some depth there prior to the playoffs. I'd love to have Thomas, but barring some miracle like that, we need a warm body that can stand at LT or RT and block stuff! I'd love to see BB sign a guy off someone else's practice squad and make them into a hero. Stranger things have happened.

There are a lot of garbage teams with decent players. If the Pats want to trade for someone they can.
I think you'd be surprised with who is available

We cannot cannot cannot trade for a franchise tackle. We already have two on the books with substantial money. Roster management, folks.

Trade Mayo & Solder for Thomas. Our cap would be reduced by those salaries. Mayo isn't playing much & if you don't want to risk resigning Solder, go with Thomas.

you can't trade an IR'd player

3. Flemming can go back to the PS.

2. I think for one year rental and 5mil or maybe less, sign the beast
3. Fleming to PS is no go. Some teams would claim him.
4 Thomas is 30. Solder is 27. Only way i see that pats have one year rental and they tried to trade him when season ends and if Thomas has a good year with them, maybe they ll get even better draft pick.

But probably Browns would demand higher pick or some other team would make better offer. 5mill in 2015 and contract trough 2018, with potential cutting him in 2016, for a top 3 LT in NFL is a steal, and its stupid of Browns to do that.

If only Mayo could have 2 decent games this year. We could make somekind trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents