PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Browns having fire sale (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crownontherocks

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
with reports that the browns are putting mingo, thomas, mack, kruger on trade block. Could we lure joe haden from browns?

Both are very good players but both be kind of a waste for us. We are set at center and you won't get the most out of Joe Thomas in a short pass offense. He makes more sense for more of a traditional passing attack that requires 3 seconds every snap.

Like I said in another thread, why spend a lot of money and picks on a position the Patriots have been sooooo good at drafting and developing? Use that for a position the Patriots are poor at drafting like cornerback.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2015 OFFENSIVE LINES

Cleveland's OL blows. They are bad at every position. Not a single run gap or general statistic is above 22nd in the NFL. Their run stuff rate is 30th. Why would you want to trade for the most expensive mediocre pieces on a line that can't block anybody?

Obviously they don't have much of an offense. The QB takes sacks and the RBs aren't great. But the reputation of Joe Thomas and Alex Mack is built on making mediocre QBs and RBs look good. They aren't doing that any more.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2015 OFFENSIVE LINES

Cleveland's OL blows. They are bad at every position. Not a single run gap or general statistic is above 22nd in the NFL. Their run stuff rate is 30th. Why would you want to trade for the most expensive mediocre pieces on a line that can't block anybody?

Obviously they don't have much of an offense. The QB takes sacks and the RBs aren't great. But the reputation of Joe Thomas and Alex Mack is built on making mediocre QBs and RBs look good. They aren't doing that any more.
I cannot believe how bad the Browns are in the secondary and offensive line. On paper before the season both were supposed to be among the strongest position groups in the NFL.

Have been hearing this tired story for quite a few years now, thank god I am not a Cleveland Browns fan..

Browns are having a fire sale, Barkevious Mingo also on the block

The Browns surely won’t be able to get anything close to the Top 10 pick they spent on Mingo, but if they could get anything of value in a trade, they’d probably be willing to let Mingo go. This is a team building for the future, not trying to win in 2015.

There struggles on the OL is about coaching and not the players I suspect. I would take Joel Bitonio in a heartbeat if he was available.

I would take a shot at Haden but that's it.

There struggles on the OL is about coaching and not the players I suspect. I would take Joel Bitonio in a heartbeat if he was available.

I'm sure if you put any of Thomas, Mack, or Bitonio on the Pats they would walk onto the field next week and perform well, due to the players around them and the coaching. Not saying they are unsalvageable.

Just saying they won't markedly improve their positions unless that position is manned by Cameron Flemming. BUT Flemming has the potential to get better and is dirt cheap, and now has the opportunity to do so quickly. (Bitonio too I suppose but the Browns aren't looking to dump him)

Mingo.

He is a very cheap cap hit ($300k) the rest of the year.
Even though BB knew he didn't have a shot at him he used one of his draft visits on him
Lombardi loves him, as he drafted him.

tumblr_ma3e8y3Lpr1qfguo5o1_1280.png

I'm sure if you put any of Thomas, Mack, or Bitonio on the Pats they would walk onto the field next week and perform well, due to the players around them and the coaching. Not saying they are unsalvageable.

Just saying they won't markedly improve their positions unless that position is manned by Cameron Flemming. BUT Flemming has the potential to get better and is dirt cheap, and now has the opportunity to do so quickly. (Bitonio too I suppose but the Browns aren't looking to dump him)

Well trading for Thomas would move Vollmer back to RT which would improve both positions so I don't think I entirely agree with you about the lack of a marked improvement. I don't think the maths work on a Thomas trade but he'd be a significant upgrade on Vollmer and/or Cannon.

Well trading for Thomas would move Vollmer back to RT which would improve both positions so I don't think I entirely agree with you about the lack of a marked improvement. I don't think the maths work on a Thomas trade but he'd be a significant upgrade on Vollmer and/or Cannon.

Trading for Thomas would almost certainly make the Patriots a worse team considering what the team would have to do in order to find room for his $80 million dollar contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes