PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster is now at 80 players

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
90 total players (number takes into account Claridge and Drame release)

-1 unsigned rookie (Maroney)

=89

-8 NFLE Exemptions (Mortensen, Charles, Steitz, Z. Smith, Henry, Musinski, Ventrone, Spann)

=81

-1 NFLE Bonus Exemption (Chad Jackson)

=80

Active/Preseason PUP players still count against the limit.

There are 10 of them as we know:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

July 27, 2006
Claridge out; PUP list

The team also released its physically unable to perform list. Players on the list include: receiver Bam Childress, cornerback Randall Gay, safety Rodney Harrison, receiver Chad Jackson, offensive lineman Nick Kaczur, center Dan Koppen, fullback/running back Patrick Pass, long snapper Lonie Paxton, and defensive linemen Richard Seymour and Johnathan Sullivan.

Players on the PUP list can not participate in practice but can take part in team meetings and rehabilitation work. Once taken off the PUP list, players can begin practicing immediately.

There are also 4 players on the NFL Europe/Exempt Injury list, but we may or may not see them on the field tomorrow:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/06/index.html

June 09, 2006
Ventrone banged up

Safety Ray Ventrone has been placed on the "exempt/NFL Europe" injured list after undergoing shoulder surgery.

The procedure is expected to keep Ventrone out of action at next week's mandatory team minicamp, according to agent Joe Linta. Ventrone's availability for the start of training camp is also in doubt.

Ventrone, who spent the 2005 season on the Patriots' practice squad, is one of nine safeties vying for a spot on the team's roster. He played a full season in NFL Europe this spring.

In addition to Ventrone, running back Earl Charles; wide receivers Rich Musinski and Zuriel Smith; and cornerback Antwain Spann are Patriots players who also have been placed on the "exempt/NFL Europe" injured list.

Musinski returned to minicamp practice the next day.

Since they have NFLE exemptions anyway, it really doesn't matter if they're on the NFLE injured list or not. Cedric James spent upwards of two years on the list with the Patriots before he was cut in March.

The Patriots don't have any players on the Injured Reserve or Non-Football Injury list yet. They also don't have any players on the regular season/inactive PUP, as it wouldn't make sense at this point.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
90 total players (number takes into account Claridge and Drame release)

-1 unsigned rookie (Maroney)

=89

-8 NFLE Exemptions (Mortensen, Charles, Steitz, Z. Smith, Henry, Musinski, Ventrone, Spann)

=81

-1 NFLE Bonus Exemption (Chad Jackson)

=80

Active/Preseason PUP players still count against the limit.

There are 10 of them as we know:

WR Childress
CB Gay
S Harrison
WR Jackson
OT Kaczur
C Koppen
RB Pass
LS Paxton
DL Seymour
DL Sullivan

There are also 4 players on the NFL Europe/Exempt Injury list, but we may or may not see them on the field tomorrow:

June 09, 2006
Ventrone banged up

Safety Ray Ventrone has been placed on the "exempt/NFL Europe" injured list after undergoing shoulder surgery.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/06/index.html

Musinski returned to minicamp practice the next day.

Since they have NFLE exemptions anyway, it really doesn't matter if they're on the NFLE injured list or not. Cedric James spent upwards of two years on the list with the Patriots before he was cut in March.

Good post Pats1, but you lost me with the -1 NFLE Bonus Exemption for Chad Jackson. :confused:

Why the bonus exemption????

Right on the money with that one....but why the extra??? I know you mentioned Ourlads..but many may NOT have access to that...

DefenseRules said:
Good post Pats1, but you lost me with the -1 NFLE Bonus Exemption for Chad Jackson. :confused:

From Miguel's site:

Q: Please explain how exemptions for NFL Europe players are determined??
A: The best explanation comes from the "Ask Vic" portion of the Jaguars website.

From http://www.Jaguars.com/Story/3745.asp"

Fred from Portland, OR: Why are the Jaguars allowed 90 players on their roster. You mentioned that the limit is 80 players and I only know of five players with NFL Europe exemptions, so why are an additional five players exempt?

Vic: OK, let's start with four Jaguars who played in NFL Europe: Konrad Dean, Marques Ogden, Jimmy McClain and Kenny Jackson. They are all on the Jaguars training camp roster and practicing as exempted players. The Jaguars were granted two more NFL Europe exemptions because of the type of players they allocated to Europe: Players who were on the Jaguars' roster last season. Those two exemptions are termed rookie/first-year player exemptions, which means you can place two players on your training camp roster who are either rookies or first-year players. Most teams assign those exemptions to first-year players they know they won't cut, which allows the team to maintain the flexibility of that type of exemption for the duration of the preseason. The Jaguars have assigned the rookie/first-year player exemptions to Byron Leftwich and Rashean Mathis. They probably won't be cut this summer. OK, that's six exemptions, which takes us to 86 on the roster. Chris Brown and Akeem Akbar are two other NFL Europe players who are on the Jaguars roster, though they are not practicing because they were assigned to the Europe “injured” list and have yet to be declared healthy. That makes 88, right? Then there are Matt Leonard and Deon Humphrey, who were placed on the reserve/injured list just before the start of training camp. The maximum number of NFL Europe exemptions allowed is 10, plus one for an NFL Europe League “national,” which is a player other than a U.S. citizen who played in NFL Europe. Is that more than you ever wanted to know about NFL Europe? It's more than I wanna know.

Ourlads.com, a scouting agency with sources within the league, lists Chad Jackson as having one of those "bonus" exemptions:

http://www.ourlads.com/secure/depthchart.cfm?index1=ne

I'll have to check on which Patriot NFLE allocation met the ambiguous criteria. There's really nothing on the internet available on it, though.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
From Miguel's site:

Ourlads.com, a scouting agency with sources within the league, lists Chad Jackson as having one of those "bonus" exemptions:

http://www.ourlads.com/secure/depthchart.cfm?index1=ne

I'll have to check on which Patriot NFLE allocation met the ambiguous criteria. There's really nothing on the internet available on it, though.

OH, ok. Thanks, I understand now.:)

Re: Why the bonus exemption????

Pats726 said:
Right on the money with that one....but why the extra??? I know you mentioned Ourlads..but many may NOT have access to that...

Their site is completely free (including the daily-updated depth charts). They do sell some draft guides, though.

Re: Why the bonus exemption????

pats1 said:
Their site is completely free (including the daily-updated depth charts). They do sell some draft guides, though.
OK....I didn't realize that..good!!! Still don't understand why THIS exemption...Bonus..I remember last year it was an added one for performance..of an NFLE player..still odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back