PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rolando McClain released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
McClain doesn't do anything well.

So you're saying he's versatile??
39.gif

According to reports he asked for his release because he was sick and tired of others not putting the effort in and the team "always" losing.

Links?
spock.gif

Spent some time last night watching some videos and reading up on him online. As mayoclinic said, if he can line up at SAM LB and improve the overall coverage against TE's over the middle and down the seam, I'd be all for bringing him in. The coverage over the middle of the field has been soft (to put it politely) all season long and could be a weakness against the Mannings of the world in the postseason.

I'm neither for it nor against it at this point. There are major potential issues, as have been pointed out, and it could easily be a "don't touch him at any cost" situation as Wilfork#75 has suggested. But I think BB will at least be dispassionate in making a few phone calls and trying to evaluate the whether the situation warrants a closer look.

Rolando McClain would help an area where we SUCK. we get killed consistently by tight ends and recievers in the middle of the field because spikes and mayo fail to get depth in coverage. I'd gladly add McClain, he had 14 pass defensed last year thats better than mayo and spikes 2011 and 2012 totals COMBINED. If Belichick feels it will help the subpar coverage in the middle, he will pull the trigger.

I'm neither for it nor against it at this point. There are major potential issues, as have been pointed out, and it could easily be a "don't touch him at any cost" situation as Wilfork#75 has suggested. But I think BB will at least be dispassionate in making a few phone calls and trying to evaluate the whether the situation warrants a closer look.

There are potential issues (which I'm sure he will look into), but the 2012 Patriots are an adequate pass defense away from a Super Bowl berth and victory.

McClain has not only failed to help bolster the defense against the run, but he has also shown to be a liability in pass coverage.

From Wiki so assuming a Raiders fan wrote it, so he isn't very good then.

From Wiki so assuming a Raiders fan wrote it, so he isn't very good then.

It depends on how he was used, among other things. McClain had 14 PD last year, which suggests he's no slouch, but without reviewing film of him I would 't want to go out on a limb. I'm happy to let the professionals decide whether his skills vs. his baggage warrant a look.

It depends on how he was used, among other things. McClain had 14 PD last year, which suggests he's no slouch, but without reviewing film of him I would 't want to go out on a limb. I'm happy to let the professionals decide whether his skills vs. his baggage warrant a look.

BB always had a good relationship with Al Davis, so who knows if they could get McClain cheap?
Does anyone know if Al Davis' ghost still has any pull?

Last edited:
BB always had a good relationship with Al Davis, so who knows if they could get McClain cheap.
?
Does anyone know if Al Davis' ghost still has any pull?

There's no such thing as cheap or expensive at this time of the year. It's already past the trade deadline. Standard waiver wire rules apply. I think teams like the Bears or Bengals snatch him up before he makes it to us.

There's no such thing as cheap or expensive at this time of the year. It's already past the trade deadline. Standard waiver wire rules apply. I think teams like the Bears or Bengals snatch him up before he makes it to us.

I am aware that the trade deadline has passed, but this late in the season it may be worthwhile for the Raiders to hold on to him until the offseason when he may bring value in return.

Sorta a random prediction... I bet he goes to either the Steelers, Ravens or Saints.

Last edited:
I don't really see the fit for us. We have Mayo, Hightower, Spikes adding McClain would give us 4 LB who are best fit to play MLB in a 3-4. We run a 4-3 now.

The raiders are who we thought they where!:rolleyes:

I think part of the reason he wasnt released may be due to the cap. The Raiders were about 4.6 under the cap on the last published report. Not only is McClain's salary guaranteed this season but he has an additional 3.6 million in guarantees over the next two years. If he isnt claimed all that money accelerates onto the cap for Oakland. Between that and the money it would cost to put a body in his place on the roster the Raiders would have less than a million in cap (assuming they didnt lose anything between Nov 1 and now) to use the last 5 weeks of the year. They may feel that its safer to just deactivate him and try to trade him next year.

I think part of the reason he wasnt released may be due to the cap. The Raiders were about 4.6 under the cap on the last published report. Not only is McClain's salary guaranteed this season but he has an additional 3.6 million in guarantees over the next two years. If he isnt claimed all that money accelerates onto the cap for Oakland. Between that and the money it would cost to put a body in his place on the roster the Raiders would have less than a million in cap (assuming they didnt lose anything between Nov 1 and now) to use the last 5 weeks of the year. They may feel that its safer to just deactivate him and try to trade him next year.

Thank you for the info, your cap analysis is always much appreciated.

In this sense it may actually make more sense for Oakland to wait it out. They are already looking towards next season, they are cap strapped on some level, and they can also make an example out of him to the other players. On top of that it may also allow them more time to potentially find a partner who will give them low round compensation, as it only takes one team. At any rate it probably can't hurt them any worse to wait a bit, at least in my opinion.

This could get very interesting...

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that the Raiders have suspended McClain for conduct detrimental to the team. However, Glazer reports that the Raiders are not releasing McClain, who wrote on Facebook after missing practice Wednesday that he was officially done with the team.

Raiders suspend Rolando McClain for conduct detrimental to team | ProFootballTalk

I would think that McClain and his agent have already been in touch with the NFLPA and their own attorneys about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents