PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roger Goodell is Dead Wrong, and Here's Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
This section from Belichick's statement is KEY, especially the second sentence.

“As the Commissioner acknowledged, our use of sideline video had no impact on the outcome of last week’s game. WE HAVE NEVER USED SIDELINE VIDEO TO OBTAIN A COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE WHILE THE GAME WAS IN PROGRESS."

Last edited:
Blame everyone else but the person who actually did the wrong doing, you folks will make great parents.

Let's see, you breeze in, make a large, generalized statement, and breeze out before anyone can call you on it.

I guess your parents didn't have any spine either.:D

Just because you're only 12 years old doesn't mean that everyone else on this board is the same age as you. Now scoot along, junior. The grown-ups are talking, and it's past your bed-time.

Last edited:
Just wait till all the other coaches/gm's start finger pointing at each other for loss of draft picks. this could open up a whole can of worms

Who the F are you, Father of the year? The NFL is a microcosm of politics, business and war. Issues and motives are not so easily discerned as in the simple lives many of us lead. Right and wrong are strange beasts driven by media whips. In this game, loyalty is truth, for players, coaches, owners and fans.

No, I don't have any kids. Being loyal doesn't mean being blind and blaming everyone else but the person responsible. Bill tried to find a loophole to a rule, didn't work, he messed up, it's not the media's fault, not chargers' fans fault, not the commissioners fault, not colts fans fault. He screwed up, and it cost the Patriots a 1st round draft pick next draft (which sucks), blaming everyone and everything else but him is ridiculous. Do I want him fired? No, do I think he's a bad coach? No, will I stop rooting for the Patriots? No, do I think he messed up big time and only have himself to blame? yes. I still think the Pats will go anywhere from 14-2 to 16-0 and will win the Superbowl, but blaming the media and everyone else for BB's mistake is foolish.

F Goodell, F the rest of the teams in this league, F their fans and F the media. The Patriots are going to run over the league like the '85 Bears, and there's nothing the commissioners office can do about it.

Belichick just said they have NEVER used sideline video as a competition advantage during games. Meaning, it is simply for archiving, building a tape library, and post-game analysis. All the mediots and fans accusing the Patriots of using tape to cheat during the game can now go hide in their little rat holes.

This punishment is the biggest joke in the world.

Everyone has speculated why the Pats did this. I'll tell you why. They thought they gained a significant enough competative advantage that it outweighed the risk of getting caught.

QUOTE]

BB leaves nothing to chance. he felt the advantages gained outweighed any possible consequences. I am would surmise he had staff meetings regarding the taping this year as other years and the decision was made, as you say, to continue and accept the consequences. The idea of using the tapes in game is not realistic. BB used the tapes to compile dossiers on head/assistant coaches throughout the years building up a substantial library. The same thoroughness so praised with respect to scouting free agents or evaluating talent was at work here. Taping was simply business as usual, part of the in season and off season preparation. Like many all consumed addicted personalities, Belechick is a bit over the edge. The real question now is whether he will be able to stop video survellancein any form.

What Goodell, that moron, did was inflict a HUGE penalty for a minor infraction. How much worse can a penalty get. Now the next time a rule is broken that is worse than this rule, it will HAVE to be punished more severely.

Of course it won't be, unless the pats commit the crime. This penalty is 100% due to the outcry from the morons in the media and fanbases that overanalyzed a simple "no cameras on field" rule.

F Goodell, F the rest of the teams in this league, F their fans and F the media. The Patriots are going to run over the league like the '85 Bears, and there's nothing the commissioners office can do about it.

I'd like to believe that....but there are still the refs.

Do you think the rest of the league would like to see the Pats win?

Nah...why be a rat fink like Mangini? The Pats will say it all on the field this season. That's the way to do it.

Oh, I know! I really, really look forward to our Fair Minded Commissioner awarding the Lombardi to Kraft and Belichick on prime time national television! What facial expressions we can look forward to!

Oh, I know! I really, really look forward to our Fair Minded Commissioner awarding the Lombardi to Kraft and Belichick on prime time national television! What facial expressions we can look forward to!

I'd make him shake something thats for sure!

Blame everyone else but the person who actually did the wrong doing, you folks will make great parents.

Why don't you be a good little boy and go out and play in the traffic...

Everyone has speculated why the Pats did this. I'll tell you why. They thought they gained a significant enough competative advantage that it outweighed the risk of getting caught.

QUOTE]

BB leaves nothing to chance. he felt the advantages gained outweighed any possible consequences. I am would surmise he had staff meetings regarding the taping this year as other years and the decision was made, as you say, to continue and accept the consequences. The idea of using the tapes in game is not realistic. BB used the tapes to compile dossiers on head/assistant coaches throughout the years building up a substantial library. The same thoroughness so praised with respect to scouting free agents or evaluating talent was at work here. Taping was simply business as usual, part of the in season and off season preparation. Like many all consumed addicted personalities, Belechick is a bit over the edge. The real question now is whether he will be able to stop video survellancein any form.

Oh? So now the criterion is "video survellancein (sic) [in] any form"?

That's news to me. Probably to the rest of the league, too....

Unfortunately we are the first team to "get caught" so he is basically making an example out of us.:rolleyes:

BB broke a very clearly stated rule. People shouldn't be trying to defend him on this. It doesn't mean that we don't like him anymore, it's just that on this issue, he was wrong and he should pay the consequences which I believe he is doing now. There's no protest nor appeal from BB so he's taking it like a man.

Goodell is sending a message to this league that the rules are there to protect the integrity of the NFL. I think he's doing a good job of it and for the penalty to only be a big fine and likely a lost of one draft pick, i think the penalty was actually from the appropriate to light side. At least BB doesn't miss any games.

BB broke a very clearly stated rule. People shouldn't be trying to defend him on this. It doesn't mean that we don't like him anymore, it's just that on this issue, he was wrong and he should pay the consequences which I believe he is doing now. There's no protest nor appeal from BB so he's taking it like a man.

Goodell is sending a message to this league that the rules are there to protect the integrity of the NFL. I think he's doing a good job of it and for the penalty to only be a big fine and likely a lost of one draft pick, i think the penalty was actually from the appropriate to light side. At least BB doesn't miss any games.

No No, we must blame the commissioner it's his fault. :eek:

Roger Goodell just fined Belichick 500K out of his own pocket, the Patriots 250K, and a 1st round pick, and this is the most ridiculous, short-sighted, cowardly, infuriating, embarassing thing I have seen the NFL do in my entire lifetime of being a football fan. The Broncos cheated the salary cap to keep John Elway and Terrell Davis, a far worse violation, and only lost a 3rd rounder. He may think he's laying down the law, but he's really showing that he's a puppet to an irrational mob, and not his own man. I have lost complete respect for him as an objective, reasonable manager of the league.

Here's why:

- With such a harsh statement, he is clearly bringing judgement on the issue of stealing calls, which should not be part of the evaluation of the videotape violation. He is saying that videotaping the sideline for POST-game analysis is sacrilege, but that using lip readers, binoculars, audio surveillance, and other videotaping methods are perfectly legal and okay (and there is evidence of other teams doing these things). It comes off as extremely hypocritical, and also opens a HUGE pandora's box that may drown the league.

- For the past 7 years, the Patriots have been the class of the league. They won 3 superbowls, drafted well, consistently built a team of unselfish, blue-collar high character men, and were put up as a model franchise. Such a harsh punishment basically implies that the Patriots have been cheating for much longer than just one game, and it puts into question the entire dynasty of the Patriots, and it lets all the Patriot-haters use this as an excuse to explain why we beat them in any game in the past. He is allowing the mob to spit on the hard work of honest players who earned their victories.

- Goodell completely overvalues the impact of sideline videotaping of defensive calls. If it helped, wouldn't the Patriots offense have been unstoppable over the past 7 years? Wouldn't we have done much better in the 2nd half of nearly every game, including each of the 3 Superbowls? Belichick claims the sideline videotaping is only for post-game analysis, and even if this were not the case, I fail to see how the competitive edge is so much more than what teams already employ (binoculars, lip readers, audio, other video, etc).

- Finally, and this is most disappointing to me, Goodell is letting the completely biased Competition Committee, as well as rabid media and fan frenzy, influence his decision. He does not take into account that these Patriot haters have an axe to grind, whether it be because they are direct competitors, were put off by Belichick's media interviews, or were jealous/vindictive of past defeats.

Goodell, you have made a strong statement, which is what you wanted, but it was in the WRONG direction on so many levels.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Typical Troll response to logic.

Your Team Cheated And Got Caught Stop Crying About It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back