PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roger Goodell is Dead Wrong, and Here's Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Team Cheated And Got Caught Stop Crying About It

Better to cheat and get caught than to pick Ted Ginn as your first round pick. That's worse than the Pats losing a first rounder. lol

Your Team Cheated And Got Caught Stop Crying About It

Actually, they did NOT get caught cheating and that is what ignorant people like yourself don't understand. Gooddell said that the tape had NO IMPACT on the game. They broke a rule and that is different.

You clearly can't understand the concepts being talked about here. So why don't you just leave and go get an education so you might actually do something more in life than welch off of other people's good fortunes.

Last edited:
YOU SIR ARE A MORON

That is laughable coming from someone who clearly doesn't understand the difference between cheating and breaking a rule.

Actually, the did NOT get caught cheating and that is what ignorant people like yourself don't understand. Gooddell said that the tape had NO IMPACT on the game. They broke a rule and that is different.

You clearly can't understand the concepts being talked about here. So why don't you just leave and go get an education so you might actually do something more in life than welch off of other people's good fortunes.

BREAKING THE RULES IS CHEATING YOU MEATHEAD

WHAT ABOUT IT?

See, this is what I mean when I said you needed to get an education. He was clearly implying that you didn't belong here because this is a Patriots Fan Board.

Anyone with half a brain cell would have understood that.

BREAKING THE RULES IS CHEATING YOU MEATHEAD

NO, its not moron. And that is what imbeciles like yourself don't understand.

Here is an example that you will probably related to:

You're at your job at McDonald's working the microwave. Your boss tells you something that you don't like. You tell him to F**K OFF. You get fired because you broke a rule. You weren't CHEATING, yet you broke a rule.

Here is another example where cheating IS breaking the rules.

You are in your car and late for work. Its going to be 5 minutes before you get there. You call your buddy who works the Fry-o-lator and ask him to punch you in so you don't get in trouble for being late. He does so. That is cheating AND breaking a rule.

JUSTIFY IT ANY WAY YOU WANT YOU STILL CHEATED

That wasn't a justification, moron. That was proof that breaking a rule is not cheating.

Why is it that ignorant fools like yourself show up and try and interject your stupidity on others? Are you that desperate for attention?

That wasn't a justification, moron. That was proof that breaking a rule is not cheating.

Why is it that ignorant fools like yourself show up and try and interject your stupidity on others? Are you that desperate for attention?

WELL IF IM IGNORANT AND FOOLISH I GUESS I DONT KNOW BUT YOU STILL CHEATED ZINGGGGGGGGGGG

WELL IF IM IGNORANT AND FOOLISH I GUESS I DONT KNOW BUT YOU STILL CHEATED ZINGGGGGGGGGGG

I did not cheat at anything. Sorry that I have to burst your bubble on that.

Also, the Commissioner said that the Tape had NO BEARING on the outcome of the game. Meaning that the Pats DID NOT CHEAT.

They broke a rule. And that is all.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

So, while you are still ignorant and foolish and welching off of others because you are too stupid for your own good, I work my job and feel proud to be a Patriots fan, knowing that my team has legitimately won 3 SBs.

Your team hasn't done anything for 33 years. And hasn't sniffed a SB in 20+ years.

Blame everyone else but the person who actually did the wrong doing, you folks will make great parents.

I do not hear people saying that BB did not break a rule that was made a point of emphasis or saying he should not be punished at all.

The question is how punished how much, and more importantly, FOR WHAT?

If it was not used for an in-game advantage, it is NOT CHEATING. Fine the team $5000 and move on. Only if it was used in-game should the punishment that was given even be considered.

What makes me nuts is like on the HBO NFL show last night when they talk about a camera and then jump to the assumption that the Pats were able to correctly decipher signals within the same game.

If this was just an unauthorized video, it is not much more serious than Mike Nolan of SF wearing non-authorized NFL-wear (i.e., a suit).

I do not hear people saying that BB did not break a rule that was made a point of emphasis or saying he should not be punished at all.

The question is how punished how much, and more importantly, FOR WHAT?

If it was not used for an in-game advantage, it is NOT CHEATING. Fine the team $5000 and move on. Only if it was used in-game should the punishment that was given even be considered.

What makes me nuts is like on the HBO NFL show last night when they talk about a camera and then jump to the assumption that the Pats were able to correctly decipher signals within the same game.

If this was just an unauthorized video, it is not much more serious than Mike Nolan of SF wearing non-authorized NFL-wear (i.e., a suit).

He's being punish for not following the rules. Put yourself in the commissioner's shoes. You're new, you say don't do it. more than once, then first game of the season Bill does it in plain view (because his interpretation of the rule) and gets caught. Would it be fair to think that the commissioner felt "disrespected" by Bill Belichick's action? Would it be fair for the commissioner to feel that he needs to send a message to every other coach that defiance will not be tolerated, and that no one is above the rules? When Belichick did what he did, he placed himself and the org at the mercy of the commissioner, it could've been worse.

Roger Goodell just fined Belichick 500K out of his own pocket, the Patriots 250K, and a 1st round pick, and this is the most ridiculous, short-sighted, cowardly, infuriating, embarassing thing I have seen the NFL do in my entire lifetime of being a football fan. The Broncos cheated the salary cap to keep John Elway and Terrell Davis, a far worse violation, and only lost a 3rd rounder. He may think he's laying down the law, but he's really showing that he's a puppet to an irrational mob, and not his own man. I have lost complete respect for him as an objective, reasonable manager of the league.

Here's why:

- With such a harsh statement, he is clearly bringing judgement on the issue of stealing calls, which should not be part of the evaluation of the videotape violation. He is saying that videotaping the sideline for POST-game analysis is sacrilege, but that using lip readers, binoculars, audio surveillance, and other videotaping methods are perfectly legal and okay (and there is evidence of other teams doing these things). It comes off as extremely hypocritical, and also opens a HUGE pandora's box that may drown the league.

- For the past 7 years, the Patriots have been the class of the league. They won 3 superbowls, drafted well, consistently built a team of unselfish, blue-collar high character men, and were put up as a model franchise. Such a harsh punishment basically implies that the Patriots have been cheating for much longer than just one game, and it puts into question the entire dynasty of the Patriots, and it lets all the Patriot-haters use this as an excuse to explain why we beat them in any game in the past. He is allowing the mob to spit on the hard work of honest players who earned their victories.

- Goodell completely overvalues the impact of sideline videotaping of defensive calls. If it helped, wouldn't the Patriots offense have been unstoppable over the past 7 years? Wouldn't we have done much better in the 2nd half of nearly every game, including each of the 3 Superbowls? Belichick claims the sideline videotaping is only for post-game analysis, and even if this were not the case, I fail to see how the competitive edge is so much more than what teams already employ (binoculars, lip readers, audio, other video, etc).

- Finally, and this is most disappointing to me, Goodell is letting the completely biased Competition Committee, as well as rabid media and fan frenzy, influence his decision. He does not take into account that these Patriot haters have an axe to grind, whether it be because they are direct competitors, were put off by Belichick's media interviews, or were jealous/vindictive of past defeats.

Goodell, you have made a strong statement, which is what you wanted, but it was in the WRONG direction on so many levels.

Goodell's made a strong statement alright - that in order protect revenues by hiding the fact that NFL effectively encourage signal stealing by all teams (yes - that's cheating to most people Roger) he's willing to make the Patriots a scapegoat.

He's being punish for not following the rules. Put yourself in the commissioner's shoes. You're new, you say don't do it. more than once, then first game of the season Bill does it in plain view (because his interpretation of the rule) and gets caught. Would it be fair to think that the commissioner felt "disrespected" by Bill Belichick's action? Would it be fair for the commissioner to feel that he needs to send a message to every other coach that defiance will not be tolerated, and that no one is above the rules? When Belichick did what he did, he placed himself and the org at the mercy of the commissioner, it could've been worse.

The punishment should fit the "crime". To date, NO TEAM has ever been hit with this sort of penalty. The most that any team lost was a 3rd round pick for the Broncos violating the Salary cap to the tune of $29 million.

Do you REALLY think that the videoing that was being done is MORE EGREGIOUS than $29 million in salary cap violations? When the Cap was only about $70 million or so?

Alright, I have to stand up to the crowd here. Yes, it is a technicallity that it was really only the use of the camera that was illegal. Technically, it is the same as if NE was inappropriately filmings stuff for NE's 4th edition of "3 Games to Glory".

But that is a load of crap. Don't we all hate it when people who are obviously guilty of something larger get off because of a technicallity? NE was obviously using the camera to view the calls at a later date. It isn't nearly as harmless as many fans here want to believe.

******Tangent*****************

I agree with everyone that the edge NE got was not nearly as large as people seem to think. Most are outraged to a level that would make you think that they believe NE is the only team in the league stealing signs, which is clearly incorrect.

*******Clost Tangent*************

In addition to that, NE broke a rule in an obvious manner just a few days after being told not to. They deserve to be punished and it should have been harsh. Applying this to Denver of SF is not appropriate because that was under a different regime, and this one clearly believes in punishment.

Unless everyone here can point to all your posts about how Goodell was going over the top with regard to Pacman Jones and Mike Vick and Chris Henry and.............. I just can't help but believe that you are influenced as strongly by your fandom as those who want BB suspended forever or NE removed from playoff consideration.

Said another way, I find it hard to believe that there would be nearly as much outrage over the punishment if it was Indy.

Last edited:
The punishment should fit the "crime". To date, NO TEAM has ever been hit with this sort of penalty. The most that any team lost was a 3rd round pick for the Broncos violating the Salary cap to the tune of $29 million.

Do you REALLY think that the videoing that was being done is MORE EGREGIOUS than $29 million in salary cap violations? When the Cap was only about $70 million or so?

When a rebel is caught, they're usually killed. Maybe Goodell views this as rebellion, disrespect, defiance. Also different time periods, different commissioner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back