PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison on the state of the Patriots

Take it even a step further. Rodney, and his DB peers with similar style, were part of the reason the NFL changed the rules and made it a "softer" game. We can debate whether this was good, or not, all day long. There are probably at least a couple of WR's still playing with full functionality who otherwise would have been damaged or retired in the past 10 years by the old style and rules.

On another note, has anyone ever seen Rodney and Paul Pierce in the same room, at the same time? Pretty much the same player.
I don't think Rodney Harrison embellished and faked injuries like Paul Pierce

Rodney being considered a dirty player by the media certainly cut his pro bowl appearances dramatically, and has hurt his HOF chances.

Well..Rodney ain't wrong...the D was pathetic at the end of the season.

And man.... @Chevy , that Cox hit on Pathon...I was at Foxboro Stadium that day...I think on that single hit the entire stadium let out a collective roar that had been dormant during most of the late 90's...

What'd Rodney say, that we're Fv*ked?

Rodney's right. Name the last time the Patriots defense played a five game stretch as bad as Indy through Buffalo? The start of the 2017 season?

Agree 100% with Rodney. Love the man.
Doesn't matter that he was out injured.

Instead of rehabbing in Atlanta, he should have been right there with the team in Denver in '06 for that stupid divisional playoff game against an inferior Broncos team quarterbacked by {some nobody who should never beat Brady}.

If you want one reason the Celtics repeated over and over again in the sixties, it's attitude. Never satisfied. They brought the same stakes and pressure to win every season as if they'd never won before.

I think the Patriots today need Rodney, like as a coach. Have him quit broadcasting. His mere presence would set the tone in that locker room.

On another note, has anyone ever seen Rodney and Paul Pierce in the same room, at the same time? Pretty much the same player.
I have to ask how do you make that comparison.

Obligatory:

It's mystifying that he's gotten basically zero consideration for the HOF.
For better or worse, he had a reputation as a "dirty" player.

If Tatum can get in the HoF, Rodney should have been first ballot. I think Tatum was early 2000s. Or maybe late 90s. My memory is not what it used to be. So Rodney may have to wait until there’s some turnover.

If Tatum can get in the HoF, Rodney should have been first ballot. I think Tatum was early 2000s. Or maybe late 90s. My memory is not what it used to be. So Rodney may have to wait until there’s some turnover.
Um, if you're referring to Jack, then any consideration of him should close Canton forever.

I have to ask how do you make that comparison.
Paul Pierce is one of the toughest athletes I've ever seen. He took beatings nightly which made Moses and Shaq look coddled.

He was a Celtics hero already before Ray & KG came on board.

Paul Pierce is one of the toughest athletes I've ever seen. He took beatings nightly which made Moses and Shaq look coddled.

He was a Celtics hero already before Ray & KG came on board.
Pail Pierce was a great basketball player. He was not tough, wasn't even a gritty Celtic. On national TV, after being "injured", he showed up court side in a wheelchair before he resumed playing. After a game, he dawned a bandage around his head for an interview and played the next game. Rodney Harrison.....(period).

Pail Pierce was a great basketball player. He was not tough, wasn't even a gritty Celtic. On national TV, after being "injured", he showed up court side in a wheelchair before he resumed playing. After a game, he dawned a bandage around his head for an interview and played the next game. Rodney Harrison.....(period).
You guys know the real story behind his "injury"?

It's quite surprising.

I haven't listened to it yet (won't get the chance for a while), but I'm always a little wary of guys from the early 2000's lamenting what the current defense isn't doing. Rodney never really had to play in this era of PI, illegal contact, etc. It was just starting to turn that way towards the end of his career. So while I would agree (if this is what he's saying) that the Patriots need a little more intensity on D, I think he probably underestimates how difficult that line to walk has become.
I actually think the PI illegal contact was way worse during Manning’s heyday ‘05,’06, 07, 08, but what is much harder now is the defenseless receiver, roughing the passer rules. That’s where defenses can no longer intimidate the offensive players, which was one of Rodney’s biggest attributes

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back