PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Robert Quinn, Marvin Austin, Greg Little Dismissed from UNC; Quinn Banned from NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Robert Quinn, Marvin Austin, Greg Little Dismissed from UNC; Quinn Banned from NC

This could be great news for us, especially with Oakland winning games. Now we might not need that pick to be very high to snag Quinn.

Re: Robert Quinn, Marvin Austin, Greg Little Dismissed from UNC; Quinn Banned from NC

Okay. Here's a dumb question. If these guys have been permanently banned from NCAA competition and they're long enough out of high school, doesn't that effectively make them street free agents? Do they really have to wait till the next draft to get hired by an NFL team?

You're not eligible to be drafted until 3 years after you graduated from high school. This spring will be Quinn's 3rd year. Austin and Little could have declared for the draft last year but didn't. You can't just declare yourself a free-agent in the middle of your college career. The NFL has a special supplemental draft. Usually in July or August for guys who become ineligible after the regular draft and have been out of high school for at least 3 years. But, Austin and Little must have thought they were going to get re-instated and didn't apply.

You're not eligible to be drafted until 3 years after you graduated from high school. This spring will be Quinn's 3rd year. Austin and Little could have declared for the draft last year but didn't. You can't just declare yourself a free-agent in the middle of your college career. The NFL has a special supplemental draft. Usually in July or August for guys who become ineligible after the regular draft and have been out of high school for at least 3 years. But, Austin and Little must have thought they were going to get re-instated and didn't apply.

So, that's an NFL rule, then? Or does the NCAA still have something to say about it even after they've booted these guys? I mean, could the UFL hire them off the street, presuming that they don't have a similar rule?

So, that's an NFL rule, then? Or does the NCAA still have something to say about it even after they've booted these guys? I mean, could the UFL hire them off the street, presuming that they don't have a similar rule?

NFL rule. They could play semi-pro ball somewhere. But, too much of an injury risk if they think they're going to get drafted. I'm sure the NCAA would frown upon any league going after guys with less than 3 years. And, you might not want to piss them off. But, there isn't anything you can do about it.

As a long time Tar Heel fan, it pains me to know Ive seen the last of Quinn in a Carolina blue jersey, however, it will be worth it if it enables the Pats to pull the trigger come draft day. Believe me, this is not a case of him being a trouble maker or bad teammate. Everything Ive seen, heard, read about him is nothing but positive. He's a beast in practice, in the weight room, and on game day. Its just a case of a good kid making a stupid mistake. Btw, he's not part of the academic investigation. Just the agent side of things.

In Austin's case? not so much. Loaded with talent, but he never really produced to his capabilities. In other words, never struck me as a BB kinda guy.

Quinn won't get past Carolina. Right it down, book it etc

They don't have a 2nd. I believe D'Angelo Williams and Steve Smith are ufa's at the end of the year. They have 3 young qb's. That's a tough sell to their fan base. I could see them trading down if someone below them has the hots for J. Locker. My hunch if they pick 2nd is AJ Green.

I would love this to happen....I also like the fact that BB gets his own opinion of the players and their character.....Just like the Meriweather situation where people were saying he was a top 10-15 talent but with his problems that ensued while at the U most teams stayed away.....BB went down, met him and liked what he heard/saw and drafted him late in the first round.....This could be another situation with Quinn....Although if we could get Quinn with the Pats 1st then I would go AJ green with Oak's 1st to get us that stud receiver....

Wow. Quinns' problem is an NCAA violation. Meriweather was involved in a SHOOTING. There's no comparison.

Lets be real here. Quinn is a physical freak. He's not going to fall for an NCAA violation. There's film on him. They will interview him. He's going to be picked high.

They don't have a 2nd. I believe D'Angelo Williams and Steve Smith are ufa's at the end of the year. They have 3 young qb's. That's a tough sell to their fan base. I could see them trading down if someone below them has the hots for J. Locker. My hunch if they pick 2nd is AJ Green.

They can't get a pass rush at all with Peppers gone. To win in the NFL, you need to have a QB, protect that QB, and get after the other teams QB. It just makes so much sense for them to get Peppers replacement.

Imagine if they came away with Marcell Dareus and Robert Quinn in the 1st round :D

Imagine this defense:

LDE:Warren NT:Wilfork RDE:Dareus
LOLB:Cunningham LILB:Spikes RILB:Mayo ROLB:Quinn
LCB:McCourty SS:Chung FS:Meriweather RCB:Bodden

That'd be a huge front 7 and a very athletic one...

...and a sure-tackling Free Safety with dependable hands and a nose for the ball away from being a close enough to SB-calibre Secondary, too.

Last edited:

They can't get a pass rush at all with Peppers gone. To win in the NFL, you need to have a QB, protect that QB, and get after the other teams QB. It just makes so much sense for them to get Peppers replacement.

I agree with WelchPat & Woolfpack: Quinn will almost cert. be taken in the top half of the 2011 draft.
The only way we'll be in a position to draft him is if Oaksterdam's season-ending record is poor enough to be a top-half placement, at worst.

Last edited:

Wow. Quinns' problem is an NCAA violation. Meriweather was involved in a SHOOTING. There's no comparison.

Lets be real here. Quinn is a physical freak. He's not going to fall for an NCAA violation. There's film on him. They will interview him. He's going to be picked high.

Meriweather was the LEGAL OWNER of the handgun he used in SELF DEFENSE. There were no charges.

Here in the US where we have the 2nd Amendment it happens more often than many would think.

If Luck declares and Carolina passes on him at #1, then someone needs to be fired. Luck is the best QB in college football. The best sophomore QB I have seen in a many a year. Period!

I personally hope Luck stays in school and completes his junior season. I think he is much better served doing that than taking a confidence destroying beating in Carolina.

If Luck does not declare, I have no problem with Carolina taking Quinn at #1, although Clayborn of Iowa is probably is a better pick.

With Fox a lame duck coach, it is hard to figure out what player makes the most sense until we know what defense they will play next year.

I have turned my attention to Kerrigan of Purdue as our next OLB. He is extremely good at rushing the passer, but is also solid against the run. No idea what he offers in coverage, but he appears to have the athletic ability to play in space.

I have turned my attention to Kerrigan of Purdue as our next OLB. He is extremely good at rushing the passer, but is also solid against the run. No idea what he offers in coverage, but he appears to have the athletic ability to play in space.

How does Kerrigan compare IYO to other Perdue alum like Detroit's Cliff Avril, SD's Shaun Phillips, or our own Rosie Colvin?

How does Kerrigan compare IYO to other Perdue alum like Detroit's Cliff Avril, SD's Shaun Phillips, or our own Rosie Colvin?

Kerrigan is more sudden at the snap and more dedicated against the run.

Kerrigan is more sudden at the snap and more dedicated against the run.

Thanks; that's an intriguing combination, and top-64 worthy, I imagine.

Quinn was pretty much molded to be the next Willie McGinest. However, everything I see of him looks like he's an arm tackler. He doesn't truly deliver the hit the way Willie used to, or the way Clay Mathews does. That being said, I'd still love to grab him, because he will get after the qb, and be a true difference maker. I just see some broken tackles in his future. Also, does anyone know what the deal is with his brain tumor. I just recently saw a piece that he had one in high school, and never got it completely removed. Is there a Dr in the house?

Quinn was pretty much molded to be the next Willie McGinest. However, everything I see of him looks like he's an arm tackler. He doesn't truly deliver the hit the way Willie used to, or the way Clay Mathews does. That being said, I'd still love to grab him, because he will get after the qb, and be a true difference maker. I just see some broken tackles in his future. Also, does anyone know what the deal is with his brain tumor. I just recently saw a piece that he had one in high school, and never got it completely removed. Is there a Dr in the house?

Im no doc, but you can watch his story on youtube (sorry I cant link)

As for his technique, keep in mind any and all video you've seen of him is as a freshman/sophomore. Oh, and his senior year in high school was cut short for the operation. Scary to think of what he can become.

Re: Semi-OT: Robert Quinn permanently ineligible

IMHO, I don't think agent-financial type transgressions would impact Belichick's decision making process. If he had committed, say for example, an assault on his girlfriend or been busted for possession, that's another story. But once you're in the NFL, you're allowed to do those sorts of things so I doubt NFL coaches think it's a big deal.

I think that's a very good point.

It's fascinating to speculate on how far he might ~ or might not ~ fall.

I don;t know, i saw a lot of Willie when he was at USC and he was a beast among boys. I remember that USC used him sometimes as a DT during his senior season. At this point in time, i think Willie was way ahead of Quinn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back