PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Gronkowski injury: torn ACL, MCL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Report: Rob Gronkowski tore his ACL

I doubt it. The Pats are already up to their ears in cap money dedicated to the tight end position for 2014. The killer is Aaron Hernandez' $7.5 million hit in 2014 (pun emphatically intended). Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2014 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

My guess is we'll see a healthy Gronkowski along with a late round draft pick and the return of Matthew Mulligan and James Develin who have shown some good ball skills and blocking ability. Develin made a terrific catch down the sideline against the Browns that bodes well for an expanded role next year.

Any chance that 7.5M gets wiped out depending what happens in court?

Also an easy 3M gets cleared by cutting Soap. Hoping he would be productive on this rental basis but he's doing nothing.

Well, our eventual 1st/2nd round rookie TE will have a whole training camp to be TE1 and plenty of first team reps. Hope the kid is a good one.

Who is the tight end at Rutgers? Is he any good?

I have said it almost guaranteed an ACL tear. There are already multiple reports that it is an ACL tear. Recent history tells us that with an ACL tear, Gronk will be ready and potentially100% by the start of the regular season.

The only way Gronk won't be ready for the start of the season barring a setback like another infection would be an LCL or PCL tear. But since they are already reporting an ACL tear, it is doubtful he tore either of those ligaments.
Well the official word is that he is questionable for the start of next year, just like I said he would be. Are you going to be man enough to apologize for all your insults and admit you were wrong? (Don't worry, I'm not holding my breath)

The silver lining here is that when gronk comes back is fully healthy and cleared to play, it'll almost be the playoffs 2014, exactly what a bunch of doom and gloomers want, Gronkowski only active for playoff games.

Actually what I want is by the time the 2014 playoffs roll around Rob Gronkowski is gravy in this offense and not the meat and potatoes.
This offense needs to evolve and get away from reliance on Rob Gronkowski.
Sadly he simply cannot be counted on and this team needs to stop hurting itself by thinking they can.
This is the 3rd year in a row....methinks we have a trend and not a good one.

Well the official word is that he is questionable for the start of next year, just like I said he would be. Are you going to be man enough to apologize for all your insults and admit you were wrong? (Don't worry, I'm not holding my breath)

At this point, pretty much anyone who's on IR is "questionable" for the start of next year.

And now, some stupid:

Erik Scalavino @E_Scal
The more I think/learn about #Patriots TE Rob #Gronkowski's situation, the more I believe it might be best for him to sit out 2014 season.

Erik Scalavino @E_Scal
#Patriots #Gronkowski needs time to recover fully from all these major surgeries & build his body back up.

At this point, pretty much anyone who's on IR is "questionable" for the start of next year.
Bullcrap. No one is saying that Wilfork is questionable for the start of next season. His injury is the type which is predicted to be fully healed and ready to go by next year. Gronkowski's is not.

If people want to live in denial, that's your right. I just prefer a realistic take on the matter and I just don't see Gronkowski being ready for September 7, 2014.

Well, if he already officially questionable for the start of next season already, I admit I am wrong. We shouldn't even consider him ready until at least December. You are being way too optimistic for November. Maybe he will never play again.

If Gronk doesn't play until November next year, I will admit I am wrong. As of right now, there is no reason not to believe he will be back by the start of next season. Medical history shows that is the timeframe for this type of injury.

Besides, there is no official word on the timeframe of his return. There is only speculation. There will be no official word of his return timeframe probably ever. Odds are unofficial word will not even come up until after his surgery and they see how he responds to rehab.

Bullcrap. No one is saying that Wilfork is questionable for the start of next season. His injury is the type which is predicted to be fully healed and ready to go by next year. Gronkowski's is not.

If people want to live in denial, that's your right. I just prefer a realistic take on the matter and I just don't see Gronkowski being ready for September 7, 2014.

People have been questioning whether Wilfork will ever play again never mind whether he will be ready for the start of the 2014 season. Many people in the media have said that the type of injury, his weight, and his age may make it impossible to come back from. An Achilles tear is far harder to come back from than an ACL tear.

Well, why should we stop living in denial when you clearly refuse to. Screw NFL case history and medical scientific fact that clearly is against you! You saw the hit and you can tell by your medical expert opinion that there is no way Gronk will be back. Medical science is just voodoo anyway. I trust your opinion by watching it on TV. :rolleyes:

I bet you a lot of people feel that way. Much more then we think
Why, though? He seemed just fine until he hurt the knee, which to my knowledge has never been hurt before. I would hope his back got some rest with the games he sat out this year. HOw many games has he played in this year, 6? Exactly why would he need to "build his body back up again?" His knee was not blown out due to being too fragile.

The statement is stupid.

I bet you a lot of people feel that way. Much more then we think

Then they are idiots. I don't get how Gronk sitting out the entire 2014 season would help him heal. If his back and arm do not heal to 100% over the next eight months without contact, they will never will. A surgically reconstructed ACL is stronger than the original ACL.

Then they are idiots. I don't get how Gronk sitting out the entire 2014 season would help him heal. If his back and arm do not heal to 100% over the next eight months without contact, they will never will. A surgically reconstructed ACL is stronger than the original ACL.

My guess is this is the typical gloom and doom that always accompanies one of these injuries, both in the media and among fans. If you had the inclination, you could go search for the "Brady may never be the same again" threads and the "Welker's career may be over, he's too reliant on quick cuts" moaning that was going on a few years back. That's just on this team, there was plenty of gloom and doom about Peterson and RG3 (who admittedly is not at the level he was last year, but is still in the "recovery zone" this injury usually entails not to mention is part of a disastrous organization). For all the predictions of doomed careers you hear about, I really can't recall a recent ACL injury to a young player that resulted in any such thing.

That's funny, I seem to remember a lot of people wondering how much Wilfork's weight would affect his recovery.

I'll admit it's something of an overstatement, but my point is simply that, before the surgery's even taken place, it's too early to make any sort of concrete prediction. All I can say for sure is that the guy wants to play, and I'm not going to bet against him.

I'm more worried about Wilfork's long-term availability than I am about Gronk's.

Well, if he already officially questionable for the start of next season already, I admit I am wrong. We shouldn't even consider him ready until at least December. You are being way too optimistic for November. Maybe he will never play again.

If Gronk doesn't play until November next year, I will admit I am wrong. As of right now, there is no reason not to believe he will be back by the start of next season. Medical history shows that is the timeframe for this type of injury.
Ah yes. Moving the goalposts, which is the first move by someone trying to back down from previous statements (and hoping nobody notices how far he is backing down). Yesterday you ridiculed me for suggesting he wouldn't be ready for September, and now you're saying he has to be out until November to admit you were wrong.

September =/= November

Seriously. It's really not that big a deal to admit you were wrong. You actually look like less of a fool by admitting you were wrong than by denying it. In this particular case, just about everything I've said is turning out to be accurate (unfortunately).
Besides, there is no official word on the timeframe of his return. There is only speculation. There will be no official word of his return timeframe probably ever. Odds are unofficial word will not even come up until after his surgery and they see how he responds to rehab.
You're absolutely right, there is no official official word. We won't get that until the team has to submit rosters for the start of the season. But right now a lot of people with access to the team as well as access to independent doctors are saying he is highly questionable for the start of next season.

Just like I was predicting 16 hours ago and you attacked me for those statements.

People have been questioning whether Wilfork will ever play again never mind whether he will be ready for the start of the 2014 season. Many people in the media have said that the type of injury, his weight, and his age may make it impossible to come back from. An Achilles tear is far harder to come back from than an ACL tear.
I have to admit, I haven't seen any of those articles. Could you please link a few in here because I would be interested in being kept up to date. I didn't realize his injury was that serious, so I would very much be interested in reading those articles.
Well, why should we stop living in denial when you clearly refuse to. Screw NFL case history and medical scientific fact that clearly is against you! You saw the hit and you can tell by your medical expert opinion that there is no way Gronk will be back. Medical science is just voodoo anyway. I trust your opinion by watching it on TV. :rolleyes:
Boy, it must really burn you up that everything I said yesterday - you know, that statements you ridiculed me for - is being confirmed today.

He may or may not be questionable for the start of next season, but he will be back.

If a lesser athlete in Wes could shred his knee and return in the timeframe that he did, so can Rob. Even if he's not 100%, I think we see him out there in September, barring some unforeseen setback.

I'm more worried about Wilfork's long-term availability than I am about Gronk's.

What bill does in the draft will say a lot about his confidence in both wilfork and gronk.

This doesn't make any sense. That money is already gone, and gets the Pats no benefit, so there's no real point in "tying" it to the TE position.

Moreover, it's a one-year hit, whereas even a first-round draft pick would be fairly affordable for 4+ years (Chandler Jones' cap hit is less than $2M this year).

The Hernandez money has to be attributed to some position on the team, and $7.5 million is a huge hit when added to Gronkowski's $5.4 million cap number, making the investment $12.9 million in the TE position in 2014 before you add at least two other salaries to have a decent rotation.

Hernandez cap hit is 6% of the team salary cap next season. They can't go cheap at another position to make up for that much money invested in the TE slot.

In the 2014 draft, maybe the right guy is there at #1 or #2 when the Pats select, but I do not see the Patriots doing anything but going OL and DL in the first two or three rounds with the lack of interior depth on both lines. Maybe a tight end in the 4th round works, but it seems like they need to keep looking at DBs, especially if Talib isn't re-signed.

Even though Tommy Kelly and Vince Wilfork are signed through 2014, and we're seeing some development by Vellano and Chris Jones, the Patriots need a stud interior DL badly. Wilfork's Achilles is as, many have said, a major concern. There's no guarantee that he'll be a full-time NT when he gets back, if he can come back.

The OL has lots of holes as you add another year of wear and tear to Mankins (31), Vollmer (29), and Connolly (31). Svitek isn't the answer and Cannon, while a great story, doesn't seem to be a durable starter.

The 600-pound gorilla for the 2014 draft is whether they trade into position to draft another quarterback they like. There's no denying that #12 is the oldest player on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes