Welcome to PatsFans.com

Revis versus Moss

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by FredFromDartmouth, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredFromDartmouth

FredFromDartmouth 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +6 / 8 / -4

The big galoots on NFL channel were picking the top players in the league and of the brutes pick Revis. Then he flashed a graphic of how the top receivers had done against Revis and Moss looked lot better than most; something like 5 receptions and 1 TD (but still not great). Chad Ochocinco had 0 catches against Revis. Sure Moss plays against Revis more than most guys but he did better than almost all other receivers last year.

2. Gunnails

Gunnails In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Re: Revis verses Moss

Moss was pretty banged up the last half of the season, which I believe helps explain why Revis says that Moss was a slouch.

I have much admiration for Moss, no WR has ever impressed me more, not even Rice.

FWIW I think Moss has about reached the end, I think he has lost the fire.
    JMHO.

This will be Randy's last good year.

I heard that Welker was cleared to play and would not start on the PUP, congrats to him. Best slot receiver in the NFL, I hope he is back to form rite off the bat.

3. FredFromDartmouth

Ratings:
    +6 / 8 / -4

I don't think that Moss has lost the fire; not at all. This mantra has been repeated so much in the press that people are starting to believe it. Reminds me of when the Red Sox acquired Mike Lowell and someone said that he had a slow bat speed and then every other guy in the media was repeating this silly theory. Of course Lowell went on to hit a ton of doubles (close to breaking some record I think) and the press quietly dropped the slow-bat-speed nonsense (with no apologies).

Randy looked really really fired up during the Colts game last year. Still plenty of heat. But when you have two gimpy knees and you played on the frozen green asphalt at Gillette ...well you lose a lot of zip.

[Just found this interesting discussion of the slow-bat-speed rubbish about Mike Lowell: http://www.baseball-fever.com/showt...-magically-recapture-his-bat-speed&p=1753626]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  4. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,907 / 32 / -49

No Jersey Selected

I don't think Moss has lost the fire at all. He doesn't have the lightning speed that he once had, but he's still one of the better receivers in the NFL when healthy.

5. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +527 / 0 / -3

I think the Revis - Moss talk will reach the equivalent of fingers on a chalkboard which is so large that it takes seven days to go from one end to the other, at 120 decibels for the entire time you have to watch and listen prior to the kickoff of Game 2.

6. FredFromDartmouth

Ratings:
    +6 / 8 / -4

Don't worry. As soon as camp starts there will be something real to talk about.

Contract talk is the worst of the worst and the worst kind of contract talk is stupid speculation that Brady will not report to camp. The Sports Hub spent most of the day today with this blather...PLLLLLLLEASE.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  7. eom

eom In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -2

he's better than almost all other receivers.

8. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +259 / 22 / -11

Not bad for a guy with a separated shoulder and bad ribs.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  9. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +259 / 22 / -11

Randy Moss gets dinged by critics because he is so outstanding that he makes it all look so absolutely effortless. That is sometimes interpreted as laziness and being uninvolved.

Randy wants all the HOF records, and will play to get as many as he can take from Rice.

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -28

It also provides a scapegoat for ESPN and the local sports talk shows...

11. RhodyPatriot

RhodyPatriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +24 / 12 / -5

:rofl: Roll the tape son. No need for interpretation.
    It's amazing the mental gymnastics some fans will go through to explain away the obvious dog in Randy Moss.

12. FredFromDartmouth

Ratings:
    +6 / 8 / -4

You cannot be serious! The best WR in Patriots history and still one of the best in the league. Sure-fire Hall of Famer. You listen to too much Fleger and Callahan. You must be one of the guys who wanted the Patriots to draft Dez (then you would see what a real dog is).

13. RhodyPatriot

RhodyPatriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +24 / 12 / -5

Stop with this nonsense. Unlike you I don't rely on others to tell me how I should think about things. I draw my own conclusions by what I see. I see tons of natural ability with Randy Moss. I also see a guy who dogs it quite often, who pouts if the ball isnt coming his way and a guy who's never won a damn
    thing in the NFL.
    Question is has this WR been a good influence on Tom Brady??
    I don't think so at all. Brady has fallen into a bad habit to forcing balls into double coverage looking for his binky. Cost them the Miami game last year because of it. Very unBrady like behavior witrh Moss around.

14. NYJetsfan

NYJetsfan On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If one of the best CB's in the league says that he lets up on plays, maybe there's some truth to it. Of course it could just be Revis saying that to get under his skin, but it didn't sound that way when he said it.

15. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +422 / 6 / -12

revis benefits from the constant blitzing the jets do

the offense does not generally look for its #1 in a deep pattern in that set up

while everyone else was loading up on big-play WR's, the pats loaded up on TE's who can catch the ball

the jets can stop the long ball (at least on one side of the field anyway), but they still get torn to shred on the short game. patience makes the jets look silly. 2 TE set, lots of short passing play to set up the run

16. NSPF

NSPF Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

what is this i don't even

17. Rex Ryan's Gut

Rex Ryan's Gut Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Revis does NOT benefit from the constant blitzing the Jets do. It is the other way around. The blitzes benefit from Revis' lockdown coverage. It's weird, but this is how the Jets defense worked last year. It started from the secondary in, not from the front 7. Rex has also stated that he likes building his defense from the outside in [he has an obsession with cornerbacks]. Kyle Wilson being drafted obviously proves this.

Anyway, it's proven already that Revis can shut down Moss. Sooo, yeah...

18. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,812 / 79 / -77

Disable Jersey

FYP [​IMG]

19. italia44

italia44 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm leaning towards you on this one......premier qb's like Brady,Manning,Brees et al,pretty much know when the initial coverage by the Cb is going to disrupt the play call to the primary receiver.Even before he senses a blitz developing.

This is especially true with lcb's like revis...the qb has a better feel for the inside slant and post pattern angles with the receiver on the right-offensive side than on the left.This is also why,imho,that the 10-15yd out pattern is better to the left offensive side than the right(for a right-handed qb).

For we patriot fans,put aside our predjudice of all-things Revis and look back at Ty Law's initial coverage and understanding of what the opposing receiver was capable of.

A blitz speeds up Brady's clock,but it's his read of Revis's initial coverage of Moss that determines whether the slant or go is going to work.

So......I'm going with gut,on this one.

20. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +181 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

I thought Revis was the best defensive player last season, but I can see a major letdown this season. He seems too distracted by the contract situation, and the success seems to be going to his head too quickly. If he doesn't get paid, I could see him start gambling more to snag more picks for his contract negotiations.

I expect a big year out of Moss too. He knows he needs to produce for his next contract, whether in New England or somewhere else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.