PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revis versus Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Revis verses Moss

Moss was pretty banged up the last half of the season, which I believe helps explain why Revis says that Moss was a slouch.

I have much admiration for Moss, no WR has ever impressed me more, not even Rice.

FWIW I think Moss has about reached the end, I think he has lost the fire.
JMHO.

This will be Randy's last good year.

I heard that Welker was cleared to play and would not start on the PUP, congrats to him. Best slot receiver in the NFL, I hope he is back to form rite off the bat.

I disagree. Not many WR's in the league do this in Florida in June.

DraftNasty.com :: 'Moss feeling the heat'-Part One (Trailer)

This was posted in a previous June thread, but a few may have missed it.

Brady and Moss healthy along with Edelman and Holt ......I like it...Wes getting back is a bonus...

Tate healthy and with a better understanding of the playbook plus Price and 2 pretty decent college TE's should give Tom more open targets....

I'm excited to see just how good this offense can be.....

Randy Moss gets dinged by critics because he is so outstanding that he makes it all look so absolutely effortless. That is sometimes interpreted as laziness and being uninvolved.

Randy wants all the HOF records, and will play to get as many as he can take from Rice.
I remember Moss's first game vs the Jets, where he started the "split the defense" post-TD celebraton.

I was annoyed before he caught the pass because he was just jogging his route. I complained to my son, who agreed. Then we watch the replay, and he said, "Hey, Dad, see those three Jets chasing Moss? He looks like he is jogging and it looks like they are running fast, so why is the gap widening with every step Moss takes?"

Moss still takes off plays. All WRs do, especially those who run go routes most of the time. But I will never again think Moss jogs out his routes.

Revis does NOT benefit from the constant blitzing the Jets do. It is the other way around. The blitzes benefit from Revis' lockdown coverage. It's weird, but this is how the Jets defense worked last year. It started from the secondary in, not from the front 7. Rex has also stated that he likes building his defense from the outside in [he has an obsession with cornerbacks]. Kyle Wilson being drafted obviously proves this.

Anyway, it's proven already that Revis can shut down Moss. Sooo, yeah...

This is true.. Ryan's ability to throw so much up front depends on entrusting Revis with being on an island, and for the most part this has worked, but this is the achilles heel of that defense, and is why Revis is holding out- because he shoulders a bigger load of the D than the rest. I have argued that if Revis goes down, that D becomes average (even with Cromartie).

For the most part Revis has shut down Moss (but with help over the top), and the only TD Moss got was out of a play specifically designed for that game, a quick slant to the left curl or hook if I remember, that caught Revis completely by surprise.

Last edited:
The Jets had the best defense in the league last year, so it should be no surprise that they did a good job on Moss. IIRC, in the 2 games Moss had 9 receptions 56 yds and 1 TD. However in all due respect to the Jet fans who will post on this thread. The Stats could have been a whole lot better had Brady connected on those 2 deep passes to a WIDE-OPEN Randy Moss in game 1 (the outcome might have been different as well :D )

In the second game, Rex's schemes were pretty much deciphered when the Pats put up over 300 passing yds against the best pass defense in the league.

A lot of Rex's very creative schemes are merely blue smoke and mirrors. They rely on creating confusion and mistakes because it is difficult to tell where the pressure is coming from. HOWEVER if you can figure it out, there are holes that can be exploited. And the Pats did just that in game 2. Jet fans better hope that Rex can come up with a better plan than that, because the Pats will more prepared than they were in game one last season.

HOWEVER if you can figure it out, there are holes that can be exploited. And the Pats did just that in game 2. Jet fans better hope that Rex can come up with a better plan than that, because the Pats will more prepared than they were in game one last season.

It will be interesting to see how they fare this year, now that coaches have had an entire season on tape, and the whole summer to analyze them.

We all agree Revis did the best job at CB last year, right? So the question is whether or not he'll repeat. There's a lot more tape on the guy now. We will see.

wrong...Nnamdi Asomugha did the best job...when you learn to spell that correctly you can foray into the land of "rediculous" and "existance".two words you seem intent on butchering in famous "J-E-S-T!!!" fashion.

Last edited:

Stop with this nonsense. Unlike you I don't rely on others to tell me how I should think about things. I draw my own conclusions by what I see. I see tons of natural ability with Randy Moss. I also see a guy who dogs it quite often, who pouts if the ball isnt coming his way and a guy who's never won a damn
thing in the NFL.
Question is has this WR been a good influence on Tom Brady??
I don't think so at all. Brady has fallen into a bad habit to forcing balls into double coverage looking for his binky. Cost them the Miami game last year because of it. Very unBrady like behavior witrh Moss around.

Ha. If Rodney Harrison had just pried that ball loose in the NYG Super Bowl (or Assante made the INT) all you spoiled fans would be singing a different tune (actually you would complain that the 2009 was not perfect).

What WR does not pout when he does not get the ball? Moss is mild compared to the true prima donna's that you guys lust after.

Stop listening to the bile from Felger and Callahan...."Those are not the droids we are looking for and Randy Moss is a quitter". Did you see Moss on the sidelines during the Colts game; he was pumped!

Moss is the best WR the Patriots have ever had (by a long shot) and probably the best they will ever have. He is intelligent and hard working and a student of the game. He is highly respected by his teammates and the coaches (even if he is not respected by the (somewhat racist) dingbats in the media; I seriously think that Callahan is unbalanced).

Callahan?...unbalanced??...naw...can't be...he's just chromosomally challenged

Callahan?...unbalanced??...naw...can't be...he's just chromosomally challenged

If you will allow a little phrenology it would appear that Callahan is an alien. Note the huge forehead and scrunched up face: Gerry Callahan's Bio

Maybe a "sand loper"

Last edited:
Moss vs. Revis

-Moss absolutely killed the Jets on opening day (Revis' debut, talk about trial by fire). 9 receptions, 183 yards, 1 TD. Astronomical win for Moss.
-Revis kept Moss relatively quiet throughout that boring "spygate revenge" slopfest. Still 5 catches for 79 yards is not a shutdown day, especially in freezing rain and mud. Draw.

-Week 2, Moss had 2-22-0 in a game that featured almost no passing offense whatsoever. Cassel's first start surely had something to do with it. Still, gotta give to Revis.
-Week 10, Moss's TD catch at the end of regulation was a career highlight, but 3-34-1 in a OT loss is a relatively weak line. Call it a split.

-Week 2 was clearly the most glaring example of Revis owning Moss. 4-24-0 plus that ugly int. Big win for Revis.
-Late season Moss put up 5-34-1. A relative off game, but Moss caught the ball when it counted. Note that Welker tore it up that week, so the "Revis island" strategy failed the Jets. Pats won big. Slight advantage Moss.

In 6 meetings, these guys have basically played each other to a cumulative draw, though Revis has made the most recent "big statement." Moss' numbers (excepting 2007, week 1) will always be down vs. a blue chip corner like Revis, but Moss still finds ways to do his damage.

:rofl: Roll the tape son. No need for interpretation.
It's amazing the mental gymnastics some fans will go through to explain away the obvious dog in Randy Moss.

Dude, are you serious? 47 TDs in 3 seasons as a Patriot and he's dogging it. You sincerely have no business watching football if you think that.

I hate the reasoning that "Moss is so athletic and it comes so easy to him that he looks lackadaisical." That's what they say about BJ Upton too. He's just so athletic that it looks like he's only jogging down the line or jogging after the ball in the gap. It's all BS. You can tell when a guy is dogging it and both BJ and Randy dog it at times.

Moss has matured and he isn't as immature as he was when he was younger, but he still pouts when he's not getting the ball and goes into a shell. Why do you think the Pats tried to force the ball to him late in the season and in that 2nd Jets game with all the Revis-Moss talk? They wanted to get him involved early so he didn't go into his shell and pout.

When the going gets tough, Moss is often no where to be found. Felger's right about him. Where was he in that Saints game? Mike McKenzie and McAlister, both off the street, shut you down? Where was he in the playoff loss to Baltimore, picking up a few yards in garbage time? Where was he in the 07-08 playoffs, getting completely taken out of the first two games and doing little in the Super Bowl? Week 10 was the last time in 09 that he went over 100 yards in a game. Granted, weather has something to do with it, but the guy has still folded in big games.

People will defend him all the time because he is a great talent who can put on a show at times and is one of the most exciting WR the Patriots have ever had, but there are a number of guys I'd take over him in a big game, despite his "natural talents."

I hate the reasoning that "Moss is so athletic and it comes so easy to him that he looks lackadaisical." That's what they say about BJ Upton too. He's just so athletic that it looks like he's only jogging down the line or jogging after the ball in the gap. It's all BS. You can tell when a guy is dogging it and both BJ and Randy dog it at times.

Moss has matured and he isn't as immature as he was when he was younger, but he still pouts when he's not getting the ball and goes into a shell. Why do you think the Pats tried to force the ball to him late in the season and in that 2nd Jets game with all the Revis-Moss talk? They wanted to get him involved early so he didn't go into his shell and pout.

When the going gets tough, Moss is often no where to be found. Felger's right about him. Where was he in that Saints game? Mike McKenzie and McAlister, both off the street, shut you down? Where was he in the playoff loss to Baltimore, picking up a few yards in garbage time? Where was he in the 07-08 playoffs, getting completely taken out of the first two games and doing little in the Super Bowl? Week 10 was the last time in 09 that he went over 100 yards in a game. Granted, weather has something to do with it, but the guy has still folded in big games.

People will defend him all the time because he is a great talent who can put on a show at times and is one of the most exciting WR the Patriots have ever had, but there are a number of guys I'd take over him in a big game, despite his "natural talents."

Does it rhyme with "itzgerald" or "ohnson"?

As much as I love Moss, he is one dimensional. He's other-wordly good a that one dimension. But we need someone who isn't afraid to cross the middle. Hopefully Holt, and later Price can fulfill this.

It's impossible for Revis to do better than he did last year. It was the best season by a CB ever.

The reason being that most #1CB's shut down the opposing team's #2 guy so they can swing double coverage to the #1 WR. Revis shut down every single team's #1 every single game. Taking out all bias it was simply the most dominant year a CB has ever had.

That said, he can only go down and I don't think anyone can maintain that level of play plus he's concerned about this contract plus his head will blow up from all the media attention.

First you compare Moss, who will end his career with the 2nd best stats of any WR in the HISTORY of the NFL to BJ Upton.

Fail.

Then you claim Moss did "little" in the Super Bowl and doesn't show up in big games. First, watch the tape of that game, Moss was open a ton, the ball just wasn't delievered to him for one on reason (Oline) or another (inaccurate pass). Now, go see who made the catch that should have won the Super Bowl and secured the greatest season in NFL history.

Fail. Again.

Where was he in the New Orleans game? Valid point. The Baltimore playoff game? Really? The one in which everytime he got the ball he was swarmed by no less than 3 (and sometimes 5) Raven defenders? The Ravens were content to let anybody but Moss beat them. I seem to remember the road game against the undefeated Colts and Moss playing out of his mind. That was the most hyped game of the year, and Moss was at his best.

Look at Reggie Wayne's stats in the playoffs this past year playing on a healthy Colts team with tons of weapons around him. Go game by game for Andre Johnson and pick out a game (like the New Orleans game for Moss) where the stats don't jump out at you. How about 2 for 66 against Oakland or 2 for 62 against San Francisco? Larry Fitzgerald? 2 for 22 against San Francisco and 3 for 17 against Green Bay. Both of those players have the advantage of having more weapons around them than Moss and play easier schedules without dealing with Northeast weather late in the year. I could go on and on, but it won't change anyones mind who can't see that Randy Moss is a once in a generation player.

Last time I checked, Moss caught a TD late in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl to give us the lead. I must be wrong though. Anyone that thinks Randy Moss is a dog, with the stats that he puts up year in and year out... eh, I just don't even care. Not worth debating, welcome to ignore list.

It will be interesting to see how they fare this year, now that coaches have had an entire season on tape, and the whole summer to analyze them.

I have seen this script played several times, already. When Pete Caroll coached the Pats, his DC was a innovative blitzer. It worked too; for about half to three quarters of a season. By then all had been seen on tape and every OC had poured over every Blitz and instructed the players on a counter. Pete's Defenses then collapsed,when the Blitzes didn't work near as well.

Just like I expect Jabba Wreck's to do, as well. If you remember his daddy, Buddy, had created the fantastic 46 blitzing Defense of the '85 Bears. The Bears had infinitely more talented players than these Jets, but the 46 only lasted for two years, before everyone caught up with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back