PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revis versus Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen this script played several times, already. When Pete Caroll coached the Pats, his DC was a innovative blitzer. It worked too; for about half to three quarters of a season. By then all had been seen on tape and every OC had poured over every Blitz and instructed the players on a counter. Pete's Defenses then collapsed,when the Blitzes didn't work near as well.

Just like I expect Jabba Wreck's to do, as well. If you remember his daddy, Buddy, had created the fantastic 46 blitzing Defense of the '85 Bears. The Bears had infinitely more talented players than these Jets, but the 46 only lasted for two years, before everyone caught up with it.

It's been more than 2 years that Rex has been fielding a dominant defense. He was doing the same thing with the Ravens for some time before he did it with the Jets. And to be the number one defense in his firt year is not a fluke or something that tends to collapse. The guy is a defensive genius. If you want to count on anything collapsing, you'd have more of a betting chance on the offense, with either Greene getting hurt (injury prone), Sanchez leading the league in INT's (again), or Holmes Edwards and LT never reaching their potential as Jets.

It's been more than 2 years that Rex has been fielding a dominant defense. He was doing the same thing with the Ravens for some time before he did it with the Jets. And to be the number one defense in his firt year is not a fluke or something that tends to collapse. The guy is a defensive genius. If you want to count on anything collapsing, you'd have more of a betting chance on the offense, with either Greene getting hurt (injury prone), Sanchez leading the league in INT's (again), or Holmes Edwards and LT never reaching their potential as Jets.

Genius? Can we stop using that word please.

Psychologically speaking, only about 2% of the population fall into "genius" standing. How many geniuses can one league contain...Belichick, Parcells, Holmgren, Mangini, Martz, Shanahan, Reid, Dungy, Payton, Gruden, Billick, LeBeau, Gibbs, Dungy, McDaniels, Ryan, enough already! Is everybody who wins a genius? Is the label "genius" now the NFL coaching equivalent of that trophy that all the teams who don't win in little league get?

Genius? Can we stop using that word please.

Psychologically speaking, only about 2% of the population fall into "genius" standing. How many geniuses can one league contain...Belichick, Parcells, Holmgren, Mangini, Martz, Shanahan, Reid, Dungy, Payton, Gruden, Billick, LeBeau, Gibbs, Dungy, McDaniels, Ryan, enough already! Is everybody who wins a genius? Is the label "genius" now the NFL coaching equivalent of that trophy that all the teams who don't win in little league get?

Are you looking for the off topic thread regarding the English language, because that thread would be genius :-0

Revis does NOT benefit from the constant blitzing the Jets do. It is the other way around. The blitzes benefit from Revis' lockdown coverage. It's weird, but this is how the Jets defense worked last year. It started from the secondary in, not from the front 7. Rex has also stated that he likes building his defense from the outside in [he has an obsession with cornerbacks]. Kyle Wilson being drafted obviously proves this.

Anyway, it's proven already that Revis can shut down Moss. Sooo, yeah...

Actually, no he cant..Moss scored a TD on Revis last year, and wether it was an easy 3 yard catch or not, it was still a TD....so no, there was no "shutting down"

(plus 4 guys were on moss for both those games)

Actually, no he cant..Moss scored a TD on Revis last year, and wether it was an easy 3 yard catch or not, it was still a TD....so no, there was no "shutting down"

(plus 4 guys were on moss for both those games)

"I'm not going to disrespect nobody about anything," Revis said. "If Randy beat me on a touchdown, yeah, I'll live up to it. Yeah, he beat me. He's a great receiver. I believe I'm a great corner, too. That's just how it goes. When you play against the best, you have to bring your game. You also have to give respect to the guys that you're going against" - Darrelle Revis

But in week 2, Revis limited Moss to four catches for 24 yards at the Meadowlands. A tie maybe?

Last edited:
FWIW, the two receivers that put up the most yards in a game against the Jets last season were Welker with his 192 in the second game and Edelman with 98 in his first NFL game and first game ever as a WR in week 2. As long as Moss keeps Revis busy, whoever is in the slot is going to have a big game against that defense.

I did not compare the talent of Moss to the talent of BJ Upton, so you fail for reading comprehension. I compared the questions about their effort during games and the arguments over whether they are dogging it or not.

Moss is a one-dimensional player. He is probably the greatest deep threat to ever play the game. But that's all he really is. He has never been that guy that is going to catch 10 balls in a game and move the chains and lay his body on the line by going over the middle. He's a home run threat who can break a game open with a quick strike at any point, but his game is based around getting vertical. Give a guy like Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, etc. the QB that Moss has (Brady) and the surrounding talent (good o-line, Welker & other good/decent WR's, great coach in BB), and you will see them put up similar stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back