PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Vollmer headed to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I'll say in defense of Cannon is that he's had a very unsettled stint with the Patriots thus far. It's actually an oddity in this organization, which is usually very stable, but for him he's bounced back and forth between two different positions, two different OL coaches, and had a revolving door next to him at RG (not to mention multiple RT's when he himself has played G). Now, he's certainly not a top talent, but for a player who teases starter-quality those circumstances are enough to prevent him from succeeding. Hopefully a little stability this year could do him some good.

So the report that volmer IS GOING ON IR is just speculation with no basis? That's pretty irresponsible.

tumblr_lkynv9XtB21qbtbabo1_500.png

Sports media speculation with no basis? Now I've seen everything....

Here's to hoping Cannon becomes the next Chung.

Remember how much we hated Chung just two years ago?

Let's also not forget that at this point last preseason, Logan Ryan was getting abused and many were in panic mode.

FYI on Cannon:

"In 2013, Scarnecchia said of Cannon, 'Love his physicality. Love his passion for the game. He’s a smart kid, a great kid to coach, he’s driven to be very good. He’s a special kid. He’s a starting-quality player.' "

Well he's not going to say that Cannon is a heaping pile of crap either. There's only so much that Scar can coach up with him. Outside of that, the RT position will be a point that defenses will key one when bringing pressure because he's an absolute liability.

Why would he go to IR and not just stay on PUP? Doesn't make sense. Anyone have a reason?

Under the current system, I cannot think of a benefit.

So there was one relevant rule change this year: teams do not need to identify the specific player on Short-Term IR; they can simply bring one player back after at least six weeks.
Players who started training camp on PUP remain on the PUP list for six weeks, and then can return anytime in the following five weeks or be placed on IR.
The initial length, then, is the same - six weeks. You cannot bring a player back more quickly from IR than PUP.
PUP provides an additional option: bringing back a player from PUP does not use up the one spot you have from IR.
Further, presumably you could monitor a player, keep him on PUP, then put him on IR if he is not ready -- and still bring him back very late in the season if you have not already used the one IR return. PUP offers a lot more flexibility.

Closer to home (OL), the same was said of Wendell.

Any insight on Keavon Milton? He is an OT candidate that the Patriots have had in camp the past 2 years..

BTW, A quick look at who might still be available.

Will Beatty - Former Giants OT.
Khalif Barnes - Former Oakland Raider

Beyond that, there isn't much out there that I can find and both are on the wrong side of 30..

Last edited:
This sucks. I think Vollmer may have played his last down as a Patriot. If he cannot come back this season, his age and injury history pretty much means he is unlikely to be a Patriot next season.

At least they have time to sort this out and get a potential replacement on the roster.

This sucks. I think Vollmer may have played his last down as a Patriot. If he cannot come back this season, his age and injury history pretty much means he is unlikely to be a Patriot next season.

At least they have time to sort this out and get a potential replacement on the roster.

There was the tweet yesterday from Howe that said that the Patriots had turned down Vollmer's request for an extension last November. So, you're probably right.

He's been a very good player for this team. Sorry to see things end for him this way if that's the case.

Don't scare me like that!

We are talking about OL, so when you said you hoped Cannon could be the next Chung, I thought you meant Eugene Chung.

Bad joey007, bad!

He's been a very good player for this team. Sorry to see things end for him this way if that's the case.

There is a chance he could be back on a veteran minimum deal. But I am not betting on it. He will be 33 next season with a long history of back and other injuries.

I hope Waddle is healthy, I can't watch Cannon on that right side any more, I can't do it...
I really liked Waddle's game before his shoulder fell out last year. These guys can usually get over a shoulder in the off season so we might be pleasantly surprised.

Is there anyone else confused here? The pats didn't want to extend vollmer, which is understandable given his injury history. But at the same time they didn't draft an OT this year? Does BB really think cannon is the answer?

Last edited:
How much more football can Vollmer realistically play? He just turned 32 and has been riddled with injuries the last few seasons. Hate to see a good soldier like him go, but I think there's a good chance he hangs it up after this season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back