PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Vollmer headed to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats 1st round pick was stolen in the interest of parity.

The top OTs were gone when the Pats had a chance to pick. Considering what the Pats did with their picks I wouldn't want a do over.

If you reach for a talent that isn't there, you will still be drafting for that position next year.

I was having a good day until now. Thanks, internet.

Yeah Dobson would be a real shock.
Yeah - for all the hype about Dobson "tearing up training camp", he hasn't distinguished himself on the preseason field one bit.

Is there anyone else confused here? The pats didn't want to extend vollmer, which is understandable given his injury history. But at the same time they didn't draft an OT this year? Does BB really think cannon is the answer?

This draft wasn't particularly deep at OT to begin with, so what would you have them do? Reach for someone that wasn't good and have people like you *****ing about the reach?

You act like they should have known that Vollmer would need shoulder surgery when he was coming back from a hip injury.. wait.. HUH??

Is there anyone else confused here? The pats didn't want to extend vollmer, which is understandable given his injury history. But at the same time they didn't draft an OT this year? Does BB really think cannon is the answer?

You know I've thought about this as well. It's a subject that gets brought up a lot.

The other day I re-watched Do Your Job on youtube. It's great every time. Near the beginning when they're still in training camp, coaches talked about how they can go to Bill with suggestions, and he in fact likes it when someone disagrees. So either all the coaches were lying out of fear of being fired, or they're telling the truth and Bill is approachable.

Dante didn't come back yesterday. He was back long before the draft. I can't imagine if Dante truly thought we were screwed at tackle that:
A. He wouldn't say anything.
B. If he did say anything, Bill would personally ignore it.

The idea that Belichick has willingly and personally ignored the tackle position while other coaches were begging him for upgrades just doesn't add up. So I'm trusting Dante on this one, and he damn sure deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Not a huge fan of the Marcus Cannon who SUCKED under Googs the Marcus Cannon who played under Scar was decent at best. I am a big fan of LA. Waddle that said : we have to think that base on his size and abilities Joe Thuney should be abe to play RT in a pinch.

Please explain to me Solder's mounting injury history. I see people keep spouting this but in fact the injury to Solder last year was the first injury that made him miss games.

People look dumb when they talk about Solder and act like he is injury prone
I dunno, it's weird. People always underrated Matt Light too. For some reason, the homer glasses get replaced with hyper-critical ones when it comes to left tackle around here.

It's like everyone's Tom Brady's mother all the sudden and no one's good enough to protect Tommy.

Last edited:
Well, I said injuries would be the only thing that could keep the team from SB #5, and it looks like they got off to a bad start on that front.

Don't scare me like that!

We are talking about OL, so when you said you hoped Cannon could be the next Chung, I thought you meant Eugene Chung.

Bad joey007, bad!
Yoink. :eek:

Yeah - for all the hype about Dobson "tearing up training camp", he hasn't distinguished himself on the preseason field one bit.

It's pretty much SOP for Patriots TC/preseason. People get excited about Dobson based on vague TC buzz, then we see him play and see he's the same guy as always.
The Pats 1st round pick was stolen in the interest of parity.

The top OTs were gone when the Pats had a chance to pick. Considering what the Pats did with their picks I wouldn't want a do over.

If you reach for a talent that isn't there, you will still be drafting for that position next year.

Same, there's no OT available where Jones was picked that would significantly improve our situation. There certainly aren't any that I'm more comfortable with as a day-one starter than Cannon (and the hopes that recovering from his turf toe will make him a serviceable starter). If we had drafted a tackle in the 2nd or 3rd, he would probably be competing with Waddle for the #4 OT spot (3 now).

Even with Brissett, drafting him this year is consistent with the Pats' strategy of drafting backup QBs with one year of overlap, not to mention that in light of Brady's suspension we really need another QB anyway.

This draft wasn't particularly deep at OT to begin with, so what would you have them do? Reach for someone that wasn't good and have people like you *****ing about the reach?

You act like they should have known that Vollmer would need shoulder surgery when he was coming back from a hip injury.. wait.. HUH??

Even if we had known, I'm not sure anyone available at the end of the 2nd round beats out Waddle for tackle #4, and instead we drafted a CB who may be our nickelback (basically a starter) day one.

In hindsight it's easy to say we could have used another tackle--and I'm not trying to put a silver lining on this, I'm genuinely worried that tackle is going to be the achilles heel of this offense--but I can't see any of the reasonable alternatives to the past few months yielding a much better outcome. I guess we could've signed Ryan Clady or something, but even knowing what we know now about Vollmer I still don't want him.

Please explain to me Solder's mounting injury history. I see people keep spouting this but in fact the injury to Solder last year was the first injury that made him miss games.

People look dumb when they talk about Solder and act like he is injury prone

"Injury Prone" is one of the most overused and misused terms on this board.. people are very quick to stick the injury prone label on someone

Mayo gave us a lot of great, consistant play and leadership for a lot of years, then he got his knee blown out and was immediately labeled as injury prone lol.. after being one of the most reliable players on defense for over half a decade

I agree with you on Solder.. he missed like 1 game with a mild concussion and other than that was very reliable his entire career. Then last year he gets his first true injury causing him to miss the rest of the season and out comes the "injury prone" label

Anyone playing NFL football is prone to injury. If a guy gets his knee blown out because TJ Ward decided to try and end their career, that is not someone being prone to injury, that is someone who was in the wrong place at the wrong time and got unlucky

Now if a player keeps getting tweaked hammies, quads, etc that linger and affect his play all the time, that's an argument to be made... but physics are physics, if you have 250+ lb monsters running around smashing into each other violently all the time, people are going to get hurt... it is a statistical certainty.

"Injury Prone" is one of the most overused and misused terms on this board.. people are very quick to stick the injury prone label on someone

Mayo gave us a lot of great, consistant play and leadership for a lot of years, then he got his knee blown out and was immediately labeled as injury prone lol.. after being one of the most reliable players on defense for over half a decade

I agree with you on Solder.. he missed like 1 game with a mild concussion and other than that was very reliable his entire career. Then last year he gets his first true injury causing him to miss the rest of the season and out comes the "injury prone" label

Anyone playing NFL football is prone to injury. If a guy gets his knee blown out because TJ Ward decided to try and end their career, that is not someone being prone to injury, that is someone who was in the wrong place at the wrong time and got unlucky

Now if a player keeps getting tweaked hammies, quads, etc that linger and affect his play all the time, that's an argument to be made... but physics are physics, if you have 250+ lb monsters running around smashing into each other violently all the time, people are going to get hurt... it is a statistical certainty.

Every frickin' year...

Definition of injury-prone
  1. : frequently injured <an athlete who is injury-prone>

Definition of INJURY PRONE

Collins English Dictionary
adjectiveoften sustaining injuries ⇒ the most injury-prone rider on the circuit

Injury-prone | Definition, meaning & more | Collins Dictionary

The Genetics of Being Injury-Prone

Last edited:

Except they told vollmer in november they didn't want to discuss an extension. So they knew back then they were moving on from him in 2017.

You never change. Every year it's the same with you - anyone who criticizes the patriots is wrong.

Last edited:
I will say that, so far, the O line we have seen out there has done pretty solid so far in the preseason. I think we undersell the fact that Scar is considered to be one of the best O-line guru's of all time. He gets the best out of average talent.

We should look less at who's out there, and look more at how the group performs as a whole.

I will say that, so far, the O line we have seen out there has done pretty solid so far in the preseason. I think we undersell the fact that Scar is considered to be one of the best O-line guru's of all time. He gets the best out of average talent.

We should look less at who's out there, and look more at how the group performs as a whole.

You can't ignore talent and players who make the most out of their physical attributes. That's why is so difficult to trust Cannon.

You can't ignore talent and players who make the most out of their physical attributes. That's why is so difficult to trust Cannon.
On one hand that's true, but also do remember that Cannon actually showed promise back when Scar coached him early in his career.

Perhaps Scar might know how to utilize him better. We shall see.

the bad news is garoppolo will be running for his life with a bad RT in cannon and a young inconsistent middle of the OL. the good news is Scar may have the OL looking good by the time Brady is back

Here's to hoping Cannon becomes the next Chung.

Remember how much we hated Chung just two years ago?

I never hated Chung and I don't hate Cannon

I was disappointed in Chung as a 2nd round pick with his inconsistencies. Same with Cannon, the only reason I and many others started to scrutinize his play more was because he got a big contract extension and was being relied on to play a very important swing tackle roll for the offense

It's not about hate at all, it's about disappointment

Last edited:
One of the bigger needs on this team no question..still the same with WR. As Jules and Dola are getting older and neither i am afraid will ever play a full 16 game season
Honestly after the AFC title game Ive want a complete offensive revamp. New WR's , Guard, RB, and Offensive tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back