PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: two USC LB test positive for Steroids (unconfirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh how quick we are to stick the knife in the back and kick the sand over their graves.

I think I'll wait to hear from another source than "the draft Bible" before I judge them. I know that is foolish of me and I should shoot from the hip and denouce these two, but I'm going ot wait.

Please continue with the burning at a stake posts.

Of course, it's all an "if it's true." Most of us have acknowledged that. But on a board dedicated to speculation and predicting the future, I think it's fair to say "if it's true, what will the impact be?"

I'm not condoning the use of marijuana (though I would object to your "fact" that its addictive, I don't think a physical/chemical dependency has been proven as it has with other drugs). But I also think there are worse things a 20 year old kid could be doing. Everyone does stupid things, and probably everyone has dependencies and engages in certain things that are generally unproductive uses of their time.

For instance, a person could waste hours ranting about a certain member of the defensive backfield of a certain NFL football team, when otherwise that time could've been spent doing something more productively....;)

They key word is stupid with these kids.

DB? And you would be talkin about?.............

"Just when I think I'm out, they keep pulling me back in." (Al Pacino)

DW Toys

So far the Draft Bible is the only one to report on this. They have the same batting average as John Thomase or Jeff Carrucci.

But they don't get 1/4 season suspensions as these yoyos are now in line to get.

It has to be some mighty fine weed at a million bucks a joint.

Excellent. Well played! My thoughts too.
DW Toys

Oh how quick we are to stick the knife in the back and kick the sand over their graves.

I think I'll wait to hear from another source than "the draft Bible" before I judge them. I know that is foolish of me and I should shoot from the hip and denouce these two, but I'm going ot wait.

Please continue with the burning at a stake posts.

I sincerely hope this story is not true, on several fronts. First, steroids are extremely dangerous with often severe long-term consequences. For the players' own benefit I hope they are not indulging in this stupid behavior. Second, I would hope that whatever abilities they have are the result of hard work and not chemical enhancement. Finally, and much less important than the health issues, from a selfish point I didn't want either player anyway, and I don't want them to slide and have other prospects move up.

I do think that both players' stock may take a bit of a hit from this, even if it is not confirmed. As mentioned, there have been many concerns about Cushing and steroids for years. And Matthews' rapid addition of weight and bulk make the steroid accusation plausible, whether true or not. I can see this causing teams to hesitate even if untrue.

Personally, I hope it either gets verified or disgraces quickly, and again, I hope very much that it is not true. But I am a little pessimistic.

Of course, it's all an "if it's true." Most of us have acknowledged that. But on a board dedicated to speculation and predicting the future, I think it's fair to say "if it's true, what will the impact be?"

OK, but most of the posters here are treating it as fact. This story has been out there for a few hours now and the only thing that I've heard or read are people quoting the NFL Draft Bible story. I'll be honest and say I have never heard of the NFL Draft Bible before this day and I look at many draft sites over the years including this year.

So, I'll say if it is true, I don't want the Patriots to draft either one. BB never listens to me anyway.

Cancel that,it's UP again and they're still running the story.

Last edited:
Marijuana issues? WTF is that? Connecting a failed test for marijuana or admission of marijuana use, to steroids use is very ridiculous. Marijuana use isn't a problem. Steroid use is problem when players who don't use it fall in the draft in favor of players who do and get away with it.

I would agree that steriods and marijuana are two different issues, but they are significant issues when it comes to the draft and mortgaging the future of your team.

Marijuana presents a problem because those players start their NFL career in the primary stages of the NFL's drug program. This means that they are subject to random drug tests. Additional positive tests could lead to suspensions and/fines.

Secondary issues to mariguana include the company that you keep, possible weight issues and being considered a poor work ethic.

Now it doesn't end the world. A number of athletes in the NFL have been busted for marijuana and have kept their noses clean enough, but Goodell isn't a person theses owners can take a chance with.

Steriods is obviously an issue. Penalities of suspension and fines are likely with continued use. And on top of that, are their performances even legitimate at the college level? Would rather the Pats avoided any player that has red flags.

So long NFL Draft Bible.

Report of Matthews Drug Test Refuted
Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 3, 2009, 2:19 p.m. EDT
In response to NFL Draft Bible’s report that USC linebacker Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids at the NFL Scouting Combine, the agent that represents Matthews has issued a denial.

In an e-mail sent to Rick Serritella at NFL Draft Bible from Athletes First vice president and general counsel Mark Humenik stated that neither Matthews or his agents have been informed of any failed drug test. Plus, he added that a lawyer for the league office told him that the NFL hasn’t received notification that any players have tested positive for steroids at the combine.

NFL Draft Bible also reported that USC linebacker Brian Cushing has tested positive for steroids.

Here’s an unabridged copy of the note:

“Our office represents Clay Matthews. Your website is reporting, via unnamed sources including one NFL team, that Clay tested positive for steroids at the NFL Combine. As I’m sure you know, the NFL Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances clearly states that “any Club or Club employee that publicly divulges, directly or indirectly, information concerning positive tests or other violations of this Policy (including numerical summaries or specific names of persons) or otherwise breaches the confidentiality provisions of this Policy is subject to a fine of up to $500,000 by the Commissioner.

“Further, neither Clay nor our office has received notification of any positive test, whether for steroids or any banned substance. I also have been informed by an attorney at the NFL League Office that they have not received notification from the Independent Administrator of any Draft-eligible players testing positive for steroids during the pre-employment drug testing conducted at this year’s Combine, and likewise, that they have not informed the member NFL clubs of any drug testing results. Govern yourself accordingly.

Sincerely, Mark Humenik Vice President & General Counsel Athletes First“

cstrh23e8ggb.jpg

So long NFL Draft Bible.

So the agent is saying that you can't divulge information, but they and the league are divulging non-information? Sweet double-speak. That letter is all bark and no bite. LOL.

So the agent is saying that you can't divulge information, but they and the league are divulging non-information? Sweet double-speak. That letter is all bark and no bite. LOL.

He has said that no one from the NLF office has been informed of anyone testing positive for roids. I think that is very clear.

Maybe the Combine will inform the nfldraftbible before informing the NFL?

Agreed.

The agent has nothing to lose. If NFL teams can't divulge information and the results of Matthews' test aren't going to be revealed, then they can say whatever they want. We'll know on draft day.

Last edited:
ESPN.com has not reported as of yet so im gonna give cush and matthews the benefit of the doubt right now. especially since this report is coming from some no name website called draftbible.com

Agreed.

The agent has nothing to lose. If NFL teams can't divulge information and the results of Matthews' test aren't going to be revealed, then they can say whatever they want. We'll know on draft day.

I also have been informed by an attorney at the NFL League Office that they have not received notification from the Independent Administrator of any Draft-eligible players testing positive for steroids during the pre-employment drug testing conducted at this year’s Combine, and likewise, that they have not informed the member NFL clubs of any drug testing results

I guess the Combine would inform teh nfldraftbible and not the NFL office?

Last edited:
So long NFL Draft Bible.

I'll say the same about them as I did about the players, in reverse: if it's false, that's serious indeed for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft