PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: two USC LB test positive for Steroids (unconfirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That site still has the original link up. Unreal. And nothing added or amended either.

Re: Two USC LB test positive for Steroids

Just to clarify, I believe that the "program" applies to use of illicit recreational pharmaceuticals, not to performance enhancers. There are no free strikes for steroids or HGH -- once you're in the league. Pre-draft, though, I think the only punishment comes in the form of where you're drafted.

Walker says Castillo was steroid-free in college - NFL - ESPN

Under league policy, Castillo is now subject to reasonable cause testing for the duration of his potential professional career, with a maximum of 24 tests per year as directed by Dr. John Lombardo, the NFL's medical advisor for steroids and performance-enhancement drugs.

Last edited:
So technically, the NFL isn't informed until one week before the draft and the most likely "source" behind this is another team trying to upset PATSNUTMe's apple cart? And, Charlie Casserly's due diligence on this is knowing the timeline, he's such a hard worker on the fan's behalf.

I am not emotionally invested in Matthews, unlike some others are for some other player that we will not name and we will not name those emotionally attached to that player as the list would be way to long to type at this time.:rolleyes:

The day after the draft those who will be wearing the Flying Elvis will be my binky and the others will be potential FA's some year down the road.

However at this point, I still like Matthews at #23.:rocker:

Charley Casserly just said on NFLN that he did his homework as he would when he was a GM in the league and confirmed that both Matthews and Cushing DID NOT test positive at the combine for steroids and PEDs. He said the way it works is this, the players would be notified if 1st if they failed a test, called sample A. If they then dispute it they are tested again, sample B, then the teams are notified 1 week before the draft if they test positive. He said the only person who would know at this point in time is Dr. Lombardo and his mouth is like a "vault," so any rumors out there are just that. He also said he dispises this type of internet reports because these people running those sites are responsible to no one, unlike himself who has to answer to his boss over at CBS. So, they have nothing to lose by putting out these rumours and everything to gain. IMO, they are also used by certain NFL people to create false reports about players so teams have to go back and do more work on a player, re-interview him, people around the player, etc.

Wait wait wait, let me understand this correctly.

1) The teams are not notified until 1 week before the draft. So then the agent's report about the teams receiving no positive notification is indeed, factually, meaningless.

2) If the teams are not notified until 1 week before the draft, and Dr. Lombardo tells nobody, how did he ascertain that they did not test positive? Charlie Casserly knows more than the actual interested parties in this case? Who is his source, and is that source not subject to the same ostensible discipline as the source for the NFLDraftBible source?

And just to be clear, I have no interest one way or another whether there were positive tests. It's like like I want to see people fail. But I am trying to get a clearer understanding of how Charlie Casserly knows more than the NFL teams drafting players at this point.

Finally, 1 week before the draft seems like short notice. Does that mean the test results haven't been assembled? If so, then the statements of not receiving news of positive reports are meaningless.

Curioser and curioser.

I am not emotionally invested in Matthews, unlike some others are for some other player that we will not name and we will not name those emotionally attached to that player as the list would be way to long to type at this time.:rolleyes:

The day after the draft those who will be wearing the Flying Elvis will be my binky and the others will be potential FA's some year down the road.

Well lets hope Pete is right. It would be horribly stupid for those young men. The others eating the marahoochie pills?...Has anybody heard about them?
Methinks some teams are positioning for the draft. The Draft Bible was the fall guy.
DW Toys

I guess these guys ratted themselves out. :rolleyes:

Responding to the NFLDraftBible.com report that claims several NFL draft prospects tested positive for marijuana or steroids at the NFL Scouting Combine, the NFL has issued a statment emphasizing that none of the 32 teams or the league office have been informed of the drug test results yet.

Here is the unabridged statement from the league office:

“Neither the 32 clubs nor the league office know the results of drug or steroid tests taken at the 2009 Combine. The independent medical advisors who administer the tests have notified in writing those players and only those players who tested positive at the Combine. Unfortunately, rumors about draft eligible players, including rumors about test results, begin to circulate every year at this time. Many of these rumors are circulated for self-serving reasons and they are terribly unfair to the players and their families.”

At least NFLDraftBible has its name out there. Unfortunately for all the wrong reasons.

Funny, and this is no joke, NFL Draft Bible has us getting Matthews at No. 23 in their Mock Draft.

Wait wait wait, let me understand this correctly.

1) The teams are not notified until 1 week before the draft. So then the agent's report about the teams receiving no positive notification is indeed, factually, meaningless.

2) If the teams are not notified until 1 week before the draft, and Dr. Lombardo tells nobody, how did he ascertain that they did not test positive? Charlie Casserly knows more than the actual interested parties in this case? Who is his source, and is that source not subject to the same ostensible discipline as the source for the NFLDraftBible source?

And just to be clear, I have no interest one way or another whether there were positive tests. It's like like I want to see people fail. But I am trying to get a clearer understanding of how Charlie Casserly knows more than the NFL teams drafting players at this point.

Finally, 1 week before the draft seems like short notice. Does that mean the test results haven't been assembled? If so, then the statements of not receiving news of positive reports are meaningless.

Curioser and curioser.

Maybe the leak is w/independent medical advisors who administer the tests or someone associated w/them. As Casserly explained and I noted in my previous post, the player is notified 1st and as Pete Carrol said that would have happened weeks ago. If a player tests positive, he can dispute it and be tested again which would take time.
He said the way it works is this, the players would be notified if 1st if they failed a test, called sample A. If they then dispute it they are tested again, sample B, then the teams are notified 1 week before the draft if they test positive.

Last edited:
Funny, and this is no joke, NFL Draft Bible has us getting Matthews at No. 23 in their Mock Draft.
:rofl:

I may start a site called NFL DRAFT KORAN.

But where do the Atheist go for their draft information?

Amen this is the way I look at every draft. Sure I have players that I hope we draft but if we dont I wont look back.

Guarantee that over 50% players smoke weed in the NFL. Maybe even more. And probably a larger percentage use some type of illegal performance enhancing drug. The question is, do we really care?

It's against the rules and leads to suspensions. Of course we should care. Do you think Kraft and the Patriots want the public relations black eye? You've already seen the media storm that AROD and Clemens attracted. You would be naive to think there aren't negative consequences to the team as well. PLUS things would be 10 times worse coming off the recent spygate bruhaha.

If these prospects are confirmed to test positive for steriod use they drop way off my draft board. If you want to draft roided up players, please go GM for the Chargers. They don't seem to mind. :p And your 'guaranteed' stats are also knwon as 'pulling things you made up out of a hat'.

Last edited:

Come on now, not even a little bit emotionally invested?

I think the majority of members will welcome whoever is chosen to wear the Flying Elvis with open arms, regardless of who their binkies were.

I will say the following about Matthews. First, he looked really nice and fluid at the clips a saw from his pro day. You can see some of his safety background in the way he moves. Much different from Maualuga and Cushing. Second, while I have my suspicions about Cushing, there is nothing about Matthews' physique or muscular development to suggest artificial enhancement. He looks much more natural to me. As I said before, I hope this story will go away.

I am revisiting the idea of Matthews as an SILB. I understand that he is not the prototypical thumper SILB, but neither is Guyton, and we used him quite effectively at SILB. Matthews is a 3 down player with nice hands and coverage ability and excellent speed. He has a great motor. I wouldn't be at all adverse to getting both Barwin and Matthews, and either moving Matthews inside to SILB or moving Adalius Thomas inside in 2010. I think I would prefer that to getting someone like Maualuga.

Right now I am hoping to get 4 of the following 7 players on the first day (in order of how much I like them individually):

1. BJ Raji, DT - still very remote, unless his combine drug test makes him fall much further than expected. That's the only reason I even list him here.
2. Connor Barwin, OLB - my binky, and I stick with him as my pick at #23 unless Raji falls.
3. William Beatty, OT - another binky, and the chance to get a franchise LT is too great for me to pass up.
4. Louis Delmas, S - yet another binky. The alternatives at safety drop him a bit.
5. Jarron Gilbert, DE - an athletic freak with terrific upside.
6. Clay Matthews, LB - a nice alternative if Barwin is gone, and potentially a nice complement at either OLB or SILB.
7. Eric Wood, OG/C - I probably prefer Alex Mack by a hair, but he'll be gone by the I would go with an interior lineman (mid 2nd round).

Any combination of those 4 would thrill me at this point.

It's against the rules and leads to suspensions. Of course we should care. Do you think Kraft and the Patriots want the public relations black eye? You've already seen the media storm that AROD and Clemens attracted. You would be naive to think there aren't negative consequences to the team as well. PLUS things would be 10 times worse coming off the recent spygate bruhaha.

If these prospects are confirmed to test positive for steriod use they drop way off my draft board. If you want to draft roided up players, please go GM for the Chargers. They don't seem to mind. :p And your 'guaranteed' stats are also knwon as 'pulling things you made up out of a hat'.

I wasn't talking about the Pats, more a generalization of the NFL. AND, YOU would be naive to think that a lot of players in the NFL do not take illegal substance to enhance their performance and also smoke weed. And also, I doubt the Pats management or any other NFL team for that matter encourages steroid use or other performance enhancing drug, but I doubt they're naive like you seem to be. BTW, ever hear of Rodney Harrison?

:rofl:

I may start a site called NFL DRAFT KORAN.

But where do the Atheist go for their draft information?

To me.

BTW, I've consulted my anti-Bible draft bible, and it says to avoid Clay Matthews, because he cannot play either SILB or OLB for the NEP. Sorry, Nut.

The latest on Matthews: ProFootballTalk.com - Agent Demands Retraction Following Drug Test Report

Here’s the entire e-mail that was sent to NFLDraftBible.com and forwarded to us:

“To the publishers of NFL Draft Bible, I am following up on my earlier correspondence to you today regarding your false and defamatory report that Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids at the NFL Scouting Combine. As I mentioned, neither Clay nor this office has been notified by the NFL or Dr. John Lombardo, the Independent Administrator of its Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances, that Clay tested positive for steroids or any other banned substance. Moreover, Clay has since spoken with Dr. Lombardo who likewise confirmed that Clay did not test positive for steroids at the Combine. Last, and certainly not least, the NFL has not disclosed the names of any Draft-eligible players who may have tested positive under the policy for a banned substance to any NFL club. Indeed, the NFL issued the following statement on the matter:

“Neither the 32 clubs nor the league office know the results of drug or steroid tests taken at the 2009 Combine. The independent medical advisors who administer the tests have notified in writing those players and only those players who tested positive at the Combine. Unfortunately, rumors about draft eligible players, including rumors about test results, begin to circulate every year at this time. Many of these rumors are circulated for self-serving reasons and they are terribly unfair to the players and their families.”

“Given these facts, I hereby demand that you immediately remove the story regarding the false results of Clay’s steroid test from your website and that you post a retraction clearing Clay of this grossly irresponsible and unfair accusation.

“Sincerely, Mark Humenik Vice President & General Counsel”

Guarantee that over 50% players smoke weed in the NFL. Maybe even more. And probably a larger percentage use some type of illegal performance enhancing drug. The question is, do we really care?

That 50% is at least a good guess for one team:
ProFootballTalk.com - As Many As 25 Names To Appear On Combine Positive Drug Test List?

And the source explained that the teams generally don’t care if a guy smokes pot. They only care if the player could end up being suspended, since that’s the kind of thing that can get the folks who draft or sign such players fired.

Indeed, the source estimated that half of the players on the source’s team smoke pot.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about the Pats, more a generalization of the NFL. AND, YOU would be naive to think that a lot of players in the NFL do not take illegal substance to enhance their performance and also smoke weed. And also, I doubt the Pats management or any other NFL team for that matter encourages steroid use or other performance enhancing drug, but I doubt they're naive like you seem to be. BTW, ever hear of Rodney Harrison?

Yeah he got suspended for HGH use while rehabbing and had to apologize publicly. Like I said drug use has CONSEQUENCES. Whether it be in suspensions or public relations hits or both.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back