Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
New Era Scouting said:
The Winners:
DT B.J. Raji, Boston College-
This one goes without saying. Raji surprised many people this week with his tenacity and quickness. Before the week in Mobile, Raji was a late-first round prospect. As of now, don’t be surprised if he goes in the top 15. A big week at the Combine in Indianapolis could propel Raji in to the top ten.
LB’s Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing, USC- No two players stood out more in practice than Matthews and Cushing. Both have the look of pass rushing threats in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense. General managers and scouts alike are very excited about these two. Don’t be surprised to see Cushing picked in the top 10, with Matthews now considered a first-round prospect.
WR Derrick Williams, Penn State- Williams came to the Senior Bowl as an athlete who needed to prove himself as a wide receiver. And he did. Williams showed all week that his routes are crisp, and that he’s strong enough to beat press coverage. The questions we all had about Williams were answered. And don’t forget that he’s a dangerous return man, either.
The Losers:
LB Rey Maualuga, USC-
Sure, Maualuga had a good week in practice and looked like a top 15 pick. Why is he then listed as a loser? Maualuga showed that he’s a first and second-down linebacker this week, but he also shows that he may have trouble on third downs. Is Maulauga quick enough to drop back in to coverage? He looked tight in the hips all week.
QB Graham Harrell, Texas Tech- Harrell was bad all week. His accuracy was spotty and his arm strength looked terrible. He had trouble picking up the South offense as quickly as the other passers, too.
QB Pat White, West Virginia- White came to Mobile as a quarterback, which was largely a mistake. White’s best chance at an NFL career will be at wide receiver, or taking snaps in a Wildcat formation. It’s obvious though that White is not a quarterback.
OG Herman Johnson, LSU- Johnson weighed in at 382lbs. While that’s impressive, it’s just too big. Johnson needs to show some discipline and commitment to his career. Once a second round prospect, Johnson is slipping.
What’s Next: The NFL Combine kicks off February 20th in Indianapolis. The nation’s best will be there ready to prove themselves to NFL general managers, coaches and scouts.

This was posted by them on their Facebook account.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by New Era ScoutingWR Derrick Williams, Penn State- Williams came to the Senior Bowl as an athlete who needed to prove himself as a wide receiver. And he did. Williams showed all week that his routes are crisp, and that he's strong enough to beat press coverage. The questions we all had about Williams were answered. And don't forget that he's a dangerous return man, either.
I never really considered Derrick for the Pats until the Senior Bowl practice week. Normally I prefer the solid route runners - good hands type, rather than those w/ raw skills and vast potential. But I have to say, Williams is impressive. A creative OC could find ways of using him...and of course, he offers immediate return skills.

Any thoughts? Does he fit the Pats?

I never really considered Derrick for the Pats until the Senior Bowl practice week. Normally I prefer the solid route runners - good hands type, rather than those w/ raw skills and vast potential. But I have to say, Williams is impressive. A creative OC could find ways of using him...and of course, he offers immediate return skills.

At a solid 5'11 and 197 lbs, he could be the type of intermediate route runner that people have been yapping for to play opposite Moss.

The big question is whether the Pats are willing to risk another 2nd round pick on a wr. They are 1 for 3 in doing so. Which is great for baseball, not so much for football.

It would seem that based on his Senior Bowl play, he' could be someone the Pats look at. But only time will tell.

The one knock on him from Senior Bowl week is a lack of physicality. I'd argue that puts a big caution flag on him for NE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back