Welcome to PatsFans.com

Report: two USC LB test positive for Steroids (unconfirmed)

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by mcsully, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

NFL | Cushing, Matthews tested positive for steroids
    Share:
    Thu, 02 Apr 2009 20:23:40 -0700

Rick Serritella, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports Southern California LB Brian Cushing and LB Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids at the NFL Scouting Combine, according to various sources, including one NFL team.
  2. rsd

rsd Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well that's not a shocker frankly.

Wonder how far they fall (probably not a whole lot).

I wonder when the media will get on the NFL about steroids. It's obviously commonplace, but no one really wants to hear it I think (from the owners, players, or the fans).
  3. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +61 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

4. tjones7

tjones7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

WOW... I mean I think everyone expected steroids to be an issue, but I thought for certain that they would be smart enough to stop taking it that close to the Combine (Though I'm no expert and have no idea how long the tests can go back, venturing a guess of a month or two). They must have known that they were gonna be tested...
  5. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +61 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

If true this doesn't bode well for Barwin fans who want him to last until 23.
  6. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +61 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

On top of this Bj Raji, Vontae Davis and Percy Harvin test positive for marijuana. Allegedly.
    NBD.
  7. DocE

DocE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It's interesting that Cushing tested positive. I remember linking a story to this site that stated teams were concerned about his thousands of dollars a month spent on supplements. The thinking was that he was maxed out physicallly if he was already going to those links to improve his body. The article made it clear they were not talking about steroids, but legal supplements.

I would think that Cushing had to have been aware of the whispers of illegal supplements, so I would think he would have made sure to be off the roids in time for the combine test. The fact that he wasn't may suggest some sort of addiction.

The same type of thing could be said for Raji who had to know his past marijuana positive test was a red flag for scouts, yet he showed up at the combined and failed a 2nd time.

I wouldn't be shocked that a high percentage of NFL players use illegal supplements and we know there have a been excellent players with marijuana issues (didn't Calvin Johnson admit to use?). So the tests may be more bad PR than anything else unless the players can't A. Stop or B. Find a way to beat the tests.
  8. PatsCanDoIt

PatsCanDoIt Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Marijuana issues? WTF is that? Connecting a failed test for marijuana or admission of marijuana use, to steroids use is very ridiculous. Marijuana use isn't a problem. Steroid use is problem when players who don't use it fall in the draft in favor of players who do and get away with it.
  9. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

In addition to the reports on Raji, Cushing, and Matthews, add Percy Harbin and Vontae Davis to the positive test results at the Combine (Marijuana) per NFL Draft Bible's sources. There's also a Place Kicker from Texas-El Paso with a positive mj test, confirmed by his school.
  10. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Gotta love those unnamed sources.
  11. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Multiple unnamed sources - it's kind of hard to name sources when the information is supposed to be protected and your sources may be subject to difficulties for releasing the news. Life's a beach, don't step in the crab droppings. :confused2:
  12. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -4

Wow. Cushing, I expected. There were rumors about him before. That's why he was never high on my draft board. But Matthews as well? I guess that explains how he gained so much weight in only a few years.

Do you think Cushing and Matthews were workout partners? If that were true I'm guessing, but I don't know that maybe Cushing introduced Matthews to the roids to help with the latter's weight gain?

I'm pretty disappointed to hear this, particularly of Matthews who apparently took a 'shortcut' to get bigger faster. I actually liked the kid before this news came out.

Not a lot of detail so far. Here is the site that reported it.

NFL DRAFT BIBLE - Breaking News: USC Linebackers Test Positive

KFFL hotwire just repeats the same info.

Hot off the Wire - Fantasy Football News
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  13. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 0 / -1

So much for the famous "bloodlines".
  14. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

this made my day :D
  15. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

What the NBD crowd always fails to grasp is this lands all of the above players in the pee in a cup program. Which tends to be a problem for guys who have already exhibited either painfully poor judgement or lack of self control or both. At a time when they are about to embark on a journey far more stressful and physically demanding than playing college ball...
  16. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm holding judgment until these claims are reported by more credible sources. At that time I'll have a few words for Percy, Brian, Clay, and Vontae.

What people don't understand is that testing positive for marijuana at the Combine would suggest the individual in question has a problem with the drug, and uses it more than occasionally.
  17. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

as much as I would like to say 'I knew it', I would be suprised if the NFL didn't do its homework on Cushing before it did it little gig leading up to the draft with cushing and crabtree......

if true, then the bottom line is that neither will be able to maintain their physical ability and will be lucky to go in day 1
  18. condon84

condon84 Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 5 / -2

Guarantee that over 50% players smoke weed in the NFL. Maybe even more. And probably a larger percentage use some type of illegal performance enhancing drug. The question is, do we really care?
  19. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +180 / 4 / -5

Since, of course, (A) THC only stays in the body for so long before breaking down, and (B) players know they're going to be tested.
  20. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

dope should be legal........

but I wouldn't exactly call it a performance enhance when it comes to football
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.