PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Richard Sherman out for the season

Just the Jerry part, but I am serious with the rest. I hated it that Sherman chose that moment for a hand shake. He could have waited just a tad.
Ok, that's a relief about the Jerry part.;)

But on Sherman, I think you gotta give props there. They just got their hearts ripped out, and he stepped up. Thought it was a nice moment.

The problem with this idea is that it's far too obvious a solution. The NFL struggles with that.

Was thinking that, too, but is it possible to engineer the schedule that way? And could the NFL possibly manage to do it well?

Yea after offering this as a solution not sure the scheduling would work as is as i think you would start to see teams being 2 games behind in the standings at the end of December . I don't see a problem with it but to ensure the playoffs end 1st week of Feb they might need to start the season earlier and eliminate 1 preseason game. God forbid.

I'm not a scheduling genius so need to think about this more.

Giving teams a bye the week before a Thursday game would have worked a few years ago. Since they've basically made every week a 3 day week (and 4 day at the end of the season) now, it's no longer the solution. Imagine the teams getting a bye on week 1, or week 15, and how pissed they'd be.

Giving teams a bye the week before a Thursday game would have worked a few years ago. Since they've basically made every week a 3 day week (and 4 day at the end of the season) now, it's no longer the solution. Imagine the teams getting a bye on week 1, or week 15, and how pissed they'd be.
Agree. I thought about it some more. Its not workable.

Yea after offering this as a solution not sure the scheduling would work as is as i think you would start to see teams being 2 games behind in the standings at the end of December . I don't see a problem with it but to ensure the playoffs end 1st week of Feb they might need to start the season earlier and eliminate 1 preseason game. God forbid.

I'm not a scheduling genius so need to think about this more.

That's exactly what they would have to do. Add an extra week one way or another to account for the additional Bye.

Whether that's by eliminating a preseason game or by adding a week at the end of the season.

Agree. I thought about it some more. Its not workable.

I disagree. It's workable. Obviously there isn't any need to give bye week to opening night's teams. Each team gets a bye before every TNF game. Only screwy part of the schedule would be the two teams who would open up their seasons on a bye week.

If the concern is truly about player safety then the rest of us can suck up the inconvenience of having our team start the season on a bye week once every 8 or 16 years depending on how many teams play the first TNF night.

It would be known that the additional bye week would be for TNF purposes so I doubt teams would be pissed about it.

The latest TNF bye week would be week 14 since the last TNF games are in week 15.

Each team would get one TNF bye week during week 1 once every 16 years.

I don't see a problem with any of that.

To me the question is where do they squeeze in the additional week?

Schedule the SB a week later seems unlikely because the off season schedule is already pretty tight as it is after the SB. BB might ***** about being 6 weeks behind. :D

I doubt they'd cut a preseason game because each game is used for various evaluation purposes.

So I would guess moving the preseason schedule up one week earlier would make the most sense and start the Regular Season a week earlier.

It would be known that the additional bye week would be for TNF purposes so I doubt teams would be pissed about it.

The latest TNF bye week would be week 14 since the last TNF games are in week 15.

Each team would get one TNF bye week during week 1 once every 16 years.

I don't see a problem with any of that.

To me the question is where do they squeeze in the additional week?

Schedule the SB a week later seems unlikely because the off season schedule is already pretty tight as it is after the SB. BB might ***** about being 6 weeks behind. :D

I doubt they'd cut a preseason game because each game is used for various evaluation purposes.

So I would guess moving the preseason schedule up one week earlier would make the most sense and start the Regular Season a week earlier.

No team in its right mind would agree to it, and the NFLPA would be stupid to agree, as well.

No team in its right mind would agree to it.

Why not. It gives the players additional time to recover instead of the quick turnaround. It gives teams more time to prepare for the game.

Why not. It gives the players additional time to recover instead of the quick turnaround. It gives teams more time to prepare for the game.

It gives early and late bye teams a huge disadvantage, for one thing. You'd then be in a position where you had to structure the bye week pairings in order to do the best to minimize times in between, and that would still be screwing teams over.

Now, if you were to tell me that the NFLPA had already folded on the 18 game/2 Exhibitions season, and that the extra weeks added would not have TNF, I'd tell you that I could see where it would start to be manageable. As someone who opposes the 18 game season, I don't want to see that, but I can see where making one bad decision to cover the other would actually have some merit in such a case. It wouldn't change my mind about the 18 game season or the byes at the edges, and I'd still argue for the saner decision of dropping/minimizing the TNF games, but I could at least understand the logic.

I disagree. It's workable. Obviously there isn't any need to give bye week to opening night's teams. Each team gets a bye before every TNF game. Only screwy part of the schedule would be the two teams who would open up their seasons on a bye week.

If the concern is truly about player safety then the rest of us can suck up the inconvenience of having our team start the season on a bye week once every 8 or 16 years depending on how many teams play the first TNF night.
No. I want the Patriots to have a bye week 8 or after every year.

Anything else is not workable.

:p

It gives early and late bye teams a huge disadvantage, for one thing.

How is this any different than it is now ? If you get a W4 BYE now you are screwed as well. At least with a second BYE on the calender the schedule makers can try to balance things out a bit so every team gets a somewhat early and somewhat late BYE.

The system now is already pretty unfair for every team that doesnt get their BYE stuffed into the nice W6-W10 range. I dont see how adding another BYE would be anything but an improvement. The players get more rest and the league gets an additional week of advertising without actually increasing the number of games.

I think that part of the differentiating attraction of the NFL used to be that you had to "wait all week" for Sunday and Monday. Now, with games on Thursday, not only is the injury risk exacerbated, but it's more like any other sport that gets played, to lower ratings, on multiple days.

The NFL doesn't seem to understand a basic rule of entertainment, "always leave 'em asking for more."

How is this any different than it is now ? If you get a W4 BYE now you are screwed as well. At least with a second BYE on the calender the schedule makers can try to balance things out a bit so every team gets a somewhat early and somewhat late BYE.

The system now is already pretty unfair for every team that doesnt get their BYE stuffed into the nice W6-W10 range. I dont see how adding another BYE would be anything but an improvement. The players get more rest and the league gets an additional week of advertising without actually increasing the number of games.

Today, the byes are almost all bunched together from weeks 5-11. Only 2 teams didn't have their bye in that span this year, and that was because a hurricane caused a postponement.

Today, the byes are almost all bunched together from weeks 5-11. Only 2 teams didn't have their bye in that span this year, and that was because a hurricane caused a postponement.

My bad. I thought that BYEs can go from W4 - W13. Still think you would rather have a second BYE than just one in W5 or W6 but it is not as bad as I assumed.

I disagree. It's workable.

It might be workable in itself, but season scheduling is already an astonishingly complex process. There are trillions of possible schedules, and the number of constraints is mind-boggling:

Pre-determined matchups; even numbers of home and away games throughout the season; fairness in travel burdens and short weeks; shared stadiums (or even parking lots) with baseball, or with other NFL teams, or other stadium events; tv schedule balance and ratings desirability; weather/climate; not scheduling simultaneous games in the same market; overseas games requiring team approval and extra travel time; special considerations like new stadiums and banner ceremonies; etc. etc.

Specialized consultants take all of the constraints and requests from teams and broadcasters and run parallelized optimization systems that require vast amounts of computing power. Within that context, "just" adding a second bye week to accommodate TNF games could cause all kinds of ripple effects.

One solution is just to have fewer TNF games, like 6 a year, in the middle of the season. Didn't it used to be this way? Then they would be more special, could more easily scheudule after a bye week, etc..

One solution is just to have fewer TNF games, like 6 a year, in the middle of the season. Didn't it used to be this way? Then they would be more special, could more easily scheudule after a bye week, etc..
Bingo.

THE solution is not having any TNF games after Opening Night until the bye weeks begin, with the last TNF game on Thanksgiving night. Whichever teams play on Thursdays then MUST have a scheduled bye previous to that game.

As far as Sherman is concerned, smell you later, ****.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back