PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Super Bowl loss destroyed the Seahawks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling a pass is not a horrible call. But that's not the pass they should have called. I still think a rollout would have been the way to go. The D would have to honor Wilson's threat to run it in. And he could just throw it away or run OOB if neither the pass nor a path to the endzone presented itself.

Or a nice fade to the corner would have forced them to respect the possibility and back off and maybe then it's easier to run it in on the next down.

i wonder how long it took our guys to get over SB42.

With this 2017 defense, Belichick would have punted the crap out of the ball and said, "Up yours, Peyton, you massive foreheaded huckster."

I just love the secondary in 2017. Better than 2015, and that was awesome.
I still think that 4th & 2 call was the worst one BB ever made. He still should have said this, even though he was not terribly confident in the defense. Flame away.

I still think that 4th & 2 call was the worst one BB ever made. He still should have said this, even though he was not terribly confident in the defense. Flame away.

I'd argue not kicking a field goal last year against Denver was worse, both from a tactical stand point (8 down with 6 minutes to play, kick a FG and then a TD wins the game) and from overall legacy perspective. The 4th and 2 didn't end our season, the decision not to kick most likely did.

1049.gif

I find the different coaching styles interesting. Carroll seem like he almost coddles Wilson. From the reports, Belichick rips into Brady and his stars when ever he can. In once case, players feel there are favorites. In another, everyone knows they are fair game for criticism.

4th and 13 from the Giants 32.
Yeah, that one is a close 2nd. Luckily there are only a few memorable ones in a long career of glorious correct calls.

Seahawks have run into the same thing many teams have run into ..... they couldn't pay everyone

Just watch what happens to the Falcons in the next few years.......like the 9ers, too

the Pats are much more strategic in that they move players on their terms, not the players.....Jones, Collins........do it when it works for you and not hold onto the end

Seahawks have run into the same thing many teams have run into ..... they couldn't pay everyone

Just watch what happens to the Falcons in the next few years.......like the 9ers, too

the Pats are much more strategic in that they move players on their terms, not the players.....Jones, Collins........do it when it works for you and not hold onto the end

You need to let players go once they reach their prime (or soon thereafter) or sign them for cheap for backup roles. I remember how the yankees for years just kept holding onto players like jeter, posada, pettitte, etc. who were way past their prime instead of repleneshing their farm system. The result? Since 2000, the yanks have only 1 world series and have spent $2 billion.

Last edited:
Yeah, that one is a close 2nd. Luckily there are only a few memorable ones in a long career of glorious correct calls.

I'd actually put that one right at the top - the stakes were obviously much higher and there was a good chance the outcome was very different had the call been what it should have been imo.

Didn't trust Gost to kick that field goal...complete BS.

Yep. I mean this wasn't 4th and 5... this was 4th and 13. If Bill didn't trust Ghost to make a kick like that then why was he even on the Super Bowl roster?

The 3rd/2 call immediately preceding it was worse - much worse.

I could never figure that one out

It is called protecting a young kicker. If Ghost had missed that kick, it would have destroyed him. Brady is Brady. He can take it.

I think people think that Belichick is not a players coach but in reality, he thinks more about his players than anyone.

It is called protecting a young kicker. If Ghost had missed that kick, it would have destroyed him. Brady is Brady. He can take it.

I think people think that Belichick is not a players coach but in reality, he thinks more about his players than anyone.

It would have been a 49 yarder - something an NFL QB, young or not - should be able to do. But ghost never even attempted anything from 50 yards out that year. I think it had more to do with that than belichick worrying about his psyche.

The play call was horrendous in that situation i remember. They should have just completed a short pass across the middle and give the ball to NY at the 20-25 if they didn't want to kick the field goal. Or even pooch punt it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference