PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Pats Meeting With Visanthe Shiancoe Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
The minimum is BB will never again forgo a Lombardi based on effectively losing one TE in his two TE based offense.

It would not be shocking if the Patriots enter Week 1 with several guys in the Rolodex.

I certainly agree with you here. I think a valuable, albeit painful lesson was learned to some extent in February, and as we know Belichick does not like to repeat the same mistakes.

That, and there may be some truth to the Fells rumors. I would also think that they will take it easy on Gronkowski through TC too, so that may have something to do with it.

I read somewhere that Fells had a reoccurence of an old injury.

Yes, it is. I agree with the other posters. BB wants 3 TEs who can pass block, run block, catch the ball and run with it, thus keep defenses honest.

As this pertains to AH, something tells me that in 2012, he will have a larger role in this offense than he already does.

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: The Blitz» Blog Archive » Source: Daniel Fells nursing injury

Tight end Daniel Fells was one of eight players who was entirely absent from today’s practice, and a source indicated it’s because he’s nursing an older injury that recently popped back up. It’s nothing serious, and it was basically considered maintenance so it shouldn’t be much of an issue as the offseason progresses

Isn't this the guy who got some of his his crotch area exposed by a locker room photo from Fox Sports, and it ended up being on their website and caused a big stir??

:scared: Uhhhh... we have enough TE's anyway.

Isn't this the guy who got some of his his crotch area exposed by a locker room photo from Fox Sports, and it ended up being on their website and caused a big stir??

:scared: Uhhhh... we have enough TE's anyway.

It's hard to speculate in regards to any potential signing by Shiancoe, as we have no idea what the team is thinking about this issue. There haven't been any leaks, and they may have been somewhat impressed, or not at all. There are also the contractual factors to take into acct too.

One thing I don't really agree with though is the thinking that "we have enough TE's anyway." I think there are several decent examples of reasoning that would argue the contrary just in the past couple pages alone.

...if this guy comes on board there will not be too many TE's around...

I certainly agree with you here. I think a valuable, albeit painful lesson was learned to some extent in February, and as we know Belichick does not like to repeat the same mistakes.

That, and there may be some truth to the Fells rumors. I would also think that they will take it easy on Gronkowski through TC too, so that may have something to do with it.

There have been reports that BB tried to sign Fells in 2010. If true, then that will only make BB re-redot the I and re-recross the T.

It's hard to speculate in regards to any potential signing by Shiancoe, as we have no idea what the team is thinking about this issue. There haven't been any leaks, and they may have been somewhat impressed, or not at all. There are also the contractual factors to take into acct too.

One thing I don't really agree with though is the thinking that "we have enough TE's anyway." I think there are several decent examples of reasoning that would argue the contrary just in the past couple pages alone.

It was a joke. But I do understand that Gronks still not quite healthy and we dont have any idea about Fells. I just think we should Look for more depth on the other side of the ball. Preferrably DL (Luis Castillo intrigues me.) Then again Im not BB, and other than making a big mistake by cutting James Sanders, and trading for Haynesworthless, and ochostinko last year, he doesnt mess up too often.

Visanthe is reportedly off to visit the Iggles on Tuesday...

I think the Pats were just doing due diligence as he is the best available FA remaining but reportedly he may remain overpriced for his pre camp market unless a team really needs a starter.

Now multiple media reporting Shiancoe is negotiating with Eagles and Patriots and could be signed by one or the other this evening...

Now multiple media reporting Shiancoe is negotiating with Eagles and Patriots and could be signed by one or the other this evening...

I'm confused why he's even wondering who to choose. He's good enough to be the #2 TE on the Eagles, while on the Pats it'd be very tough for him to even make the roster, as well as he's probably only being offered vet min.

Maybe he wants to try to be a part of greatnesssss.

I'm confused why he's even wondering who to choose. He's good enough to be the #2 TE on the Eagles, while on the Pats it'd be very tough for him to even make the roster, as well as he's probably only being offered vet min.

Maybe he wants to try to be a part of greatnesssss.

Good point. Good question.

I hope he ends up here though what with Fells on PUP.

The other factor to me is Ballard. Why it's assumed he's a goner for the year, I'm just not sure. Mankins and him blew their knees in the same game, yet its widely considered Mankins will be good to go to open the year. Welker blew his knee in a January game vs. the Texans and was ready by the opener the next year. Is there something I'm missing?

EDIT: Looks like Ballard's knee injury was more destructive, and he needed microfracture surgery that adds on another 6 weeks of rehab.

Last edited:
There's no way he'll pick here.

Good point. Good question.

I hope he ends up here though what with Fells on PUP.

The other factor to me is Ballard. Why it's assumed he's a goner for the year, I'm just not sure. Mankins and him blew their knees in the same game, yet its widely considered Mankins will be good to go to open the year. Welker blew his knee in a January game vs. the Texans and was ready by the opener the next year. Is there something I'm missing?

Giants tight end Jake Ballard faces long road back : page all - NorthJersey.com

He likely faces eight or nine months of rehabilitation for his rebuilt ACL. The microfracture surgery could add another six weeks because he has been unable to put weight on the leg,​

This is more exciting to me than The Decision was...

he will be headed to eagles

There's no way he'll pick here.

he will be headed to eagles

Apparently not. Maybe Shiancoe wanted to be part of the greatest TE-based offense in NFL history. Maybe Daniel Fells is likely to start the year on PUP and Shiancoe will get considerable playing time along with Gronk and Hernandez. Maybe the cheapskate Pats made a more lucrative offer than the Iggles? Who knows. But he'll provide tremendous depth this year and will take some pressure of other guys to rush into the mix. Nice signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes