PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Pats Meeting With Visanthe Shiancoe Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might as well give Kyle Brady another shot at this point.

I think that this meeting with Shancoe has more to do with the state of Fells' health than the need for the Pats to have more than 3 TEs on the roster. Something tells me that he's going to start TC on the PUP.

Think of it this way: The offense is now based heavily on a two-TE set, with at least one of those TE's needing to have decent blocking skills to better mask what the play is. Hernandez, good as he is, is more of a big WR than a TE, so with Gronk and Fells hobbled, there's no one to play the traditional TE role in camp. Harder to get everyone into the groove of your projected offense when you don't have a decent body to fill one of the principal positions.

I think he's pretty darned good. Bring him in, it will sort itself out on the field.

I also think he is just a camp body so Gronk and the other injured TEs aren't rushed into action. If Gronk didn't play a single preseason game I would be happy.

I think that this meeting with Shancoe has more to do with the state of Fells' health than the need for the Pats to have more than 3 TEs on the roster. Something tells me that he's going to start TC on the PUP.

I'm thinking the very same thing. Just speculation on my part, but I'm starting to wonder if Fells will be ready to go in week one at Tennessee.

I always thought we was an underrated player. Has decent hands and a lot of heart. He would make a good Patriot. I wish him well.

EDIT: btw it is actually "Shiancoe" I believe.

Last edited:
Don't sleep on Shiancoe. At the very least he is a VERY GOOD red zone target. In 2009 he had 11 td's (on 56 catches) which was more than guys like Dallas Clarke and Jason Witten had. If memory serves he was second in the league for td's from a tight end that season...The year before he had 7 d's.

Despite being on the Vikings who have one of the leagues worst passing games Shiancoe has averaged 45 catches over the last four seasons. When Favre was playing for the Vikings he was a legit threat.

If the Patriots are loading up on te's Shiancoe would be a very nice under the radar addition.

Last edited:
Gronk is still not ready..need someone out there in case he goes down again/camp

Is anyone else nervous about Gronks ankle? What procedure did he have done again?

Gronk is still not ready..need someone out there in case he goes down again/camp

Is anyone else nervous about Gronks ankle? What procedure did he have done again?

No. :beatingcoming:[

Gronk is still not ready..need someone out there in case he goes down again/camp...

If there's an issue, how do you know it's with Gronk, and not Fells?

I agree with a previous poster- I don't really see Hernandez as a true TE. How often does he actually line up next to the tackle? He's not exactly a WR either, though maybe closer to a true WR than a true TE based solely on where he's lined up.

Gronk, Fells, Shiancoe at TE

Lloyd, Welker, Gaffney, Edelman, Slater at WR

Hernandez as the hybrid.

The minimum is BB will never again forgo a Lombardi based on effectively losing one TE in his two TE based offense.

It would not be shocking if the Patriots enter Week 1 with several guys in the Rolodex.

If there's an issue, how do you know it's with Gronk, and not Fells?

I read somewhere that Fells had a reoccurence of an old injury.

3TE-2WR lineup. Defense goes nickel or dime, they pound Hernandez behind Gronk and Shiancoe/Fells. Defense plays base and they split Hernandez out. It'd be tough to stop that.

the roster and playing time is primarily merit based with BB. If Shancoe, who is a pretty good player, is a good teammate and productive in practice he will make the team ahead of someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes