PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Dobson will be placed on IR (Now Official)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think BB makes another under the radar pickup like LaFell. Nobody was excited about that one.

I think BB makes another under the radar pickup like LaFell. Nobody was excited about that one.

Anyone who watches college ball, bets on the games, or plays fantasy football knew exactly who Brandon LaFell was, and that was a big WR who was taken high in the draft who's improved every year in the league.

Those who didn't care for the signing or weren't excited are probably the same people (casual fans) who didn't think that Tim Wright would do much of anything, even though he was coming off of a rookie season where he caught 54 balls and 5 TDs.

I do agree with your general point that Belichick is likely to target an "under the radar" type of signing, but then again, he does that just about every year. Some are successful, others are not.

Wright, Gronk and Vareen aren't wide receivers, but they will get less targets if we insist on keeping 3-4 wide receivers fed. I don't think it's important. We're talking about backups, after all at a position we don't really value. as opposed to green bay, when we throw to our TEs and RB, we're trying to get some of our most explosive options off. Of course we'll try to stock the position, as we try to stock every position. Sometimes guys get injured ad sometimes players in front of them are playing better.

We obviously are more than fine with receiving options when you include TE and RB. That doesn't change the fact that if one of LaFell/Edelman went down, we'd be hurting fairly badly--which could prevent the team from moving on in the postseason yet again.

No one is suggesting to go out and spend millions of dollars at depth positions for WR that historically produce very little, statistically speaking. That's totally unrealistic. The object will be to improve on the guys such as Amendola, and possibly Tyms/Dobson (not that I'm ready to give up on him yet), in case they are called upon due to injury and/or pieces of the future.

It's "depth 101" at its finest...nothing more. Some are apparently trying to move the goalposts on the entire debate because they either feel that someone is disrespecting their team, complaining, or they don't bother to read the thread to begin with and misunderstand based on individual comments they see while scanning through the pages. I'm both grateful and happy that we hit on some FA selections that have added to the offense greatly. It's both unfortunate, yet simply the name of the game that Belichick will have to address the position of WR yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back