PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Brady tried to push Belichick out for Bill O'Brien

You realize that no other QB - aside from Manning or Eli (and big Ben) - won more than 2 over that span. I am right on that, correct? I didn't go to college and I wasn't a math major, but I feel like I'm accurate there...?
AFAIK that's true, assuming we look only at starters.... and, given that those guys are retired, not a single currently active QB in the NFL has more than one Super Bowl championship as a starter - except for you know who....

• Winner
Reactions: Ian
They were an unreal pair. Great coaching + Consistently Great QB play = 6 titles. Good coaching + Great QB play will win you 1 or 2 (see the Mannings, Roethlisberger, etc.) But we saw firsthand what great will get you here and it was an unreal 20-years that none of us who endured the 80s (late 80s for me) and 90s will ever forget.
Diminishing Belichick's coaching is obviously just as silly as diminishing Brady's. To make it simple, let's get crazy and say Brady became a diva and left after 2001 (obviously wouldn't/couldn't likely have happened given his contract, but still...). Does he win 6 titles elsewhere? Probably not. Does he win another, or maybe 2? It's possible, but history around the league has shown us that even just good coaching and a great QB doesn't produce the same level of dominance.

Again, we were lucky. Belichick helped make Brady and then helped keep it going. Where he messed up was giving up on Brady at the end, which I've already said I didn't agree with. At the same time, Brady wouldn't have won #7 with us with that roster either, so it was for the best and at that point, by the time he left, Brady was at a level where he could carry that group in Tampa and get people in the right mindset. It worked, and with that roster, they won it all. Good for him.

Still - as bad as it was - without that 7-9 finish, we don't get Mac and having him at least has me hopeful for the future. I wish it had ended better and I wish they had pushed out Brady's salary and surrounded him with better talent that year. But they didn't and it is what it is. I'm glad he got #7 and I'm glad we got Mac. And I obviously wish Brady the best unless we play him in February.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, that is too difficult for some to admit.

So you get what we have here today, a failure to communicate...

A little GNR ... LOL, I like it :cool:

Still - as bad as it was - without that 7-9 finish, we don't get Mac and having him at least has me hopeful for the future. I wish it had ended better and I wish they had pushed out Brady's salary and surrounded him with better talent that year. But they didn't and it is what it is. I'm glad he got #7 and I'm glad we got Mac. And I obviously wish Brady the best unless we play him in February.
I think Mac is a good QB and I like having him here for the future but man, they gotta get him some weapons.

• Agree
Double post - apologies

The Belichick krishnas all have the same argument: "If you take away his bad years because reasons, then his record is really very good!" Fact is Belichick is .500 in New England without Brady starting and 8 games under .500 overall. 1996 is irrelevant because we are talking about Belichick the HC, not a defensive coordinator or asst. HC.

Without Brady, Belichick struggles against... well, he pretty much struggles against everyone, now doesn't he?
This argument is still tough to even make. Belichick drafted him, developed him and then obviously the two benefited for over 20-years by working together. You can't take away one of his best decisions because you could say any coach would be terrible if you take away the personnel that helped them win games. At the same time, Brady likely doesn't win six championships elsewhere. Maybe one or two, but six? That's tough to imagine, even as great as I obviously believe he is. His experience here and his resume is what helped everyone in Tampa to buy in. If he goes in unproven, or with his last ring coming many years prior, there were a lot of knuckleheads there who probably wouldn't have worked quite as hard.

LOL, Brady would have 1-2 rings without Belichick
Good lord. Patriot fans are such goblin losers now. The MetLife vibes are just growing and growing and growing and growing. It’s like the Sméagol transformation scene.

Good lord. Patriot fans are such goblin losers now. The MetLife vibes are just growing and growing and growing and growing. It’s like the Sméagol transformation scene.

Ian just said the same thing above and basically agreed with me on that point

Last edited:
I think Mac is a good QB and I like having him here for the future but man, they gotta get him some weapons.
Coach must be reading my posts....

• Winner

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back