PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Brady tried to push Belichick out for Bill O'Brien

Might be the real reason why Bill decided to bring Judge back (lol) to help call the plays (lol)

My god...

This isn’t new; this came out 6 months ago as part of the Wickersham book. The claim was O’Brien was intentionally trying to get himself fired from Houston.
Ultimately, according to the book, Kraft, Brady and a few others discussed scenarios about who would replace Belichick. If offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels left after the season to be a head coach elsewhere, New England could hire O'Brien and he could perhaps one day succeed Belichick.

"The plan was fanciful," Wickersham writes, "but O'Brien heard about it. He was in a power struggle of his own in Houston, fighting with general manager Rick Smith, a 'dysfunctional' and 'toxic' situation, according to the Houston Chronicle. The leaks from O'Brien's camp, claiming he wanted out, were so aggressive as to be suspicious, as if he knew he had a golden parachute. In the end, though, the [Texans] chose O'Brien over Smith, giving the coach more control over football operations. O'Brien later joked to a confidant that it was a somewhat empty victory. 'I was trying to get fired,' he said.
Patriots book goes inside secretive franchise

Meh neither would be the GOAT without each other. Mutual split after 20 long years neither side is to blame

I don't disagree that neither would have 6 rings without each other, but Brady is the QB and Belichick is the coach. Either Brady shuts up or goes some where else, which he did.

This isn’t new; this came out 6 months ago as part of the Wickersham book. The claim was O’Brien was intentionally trying to get himself fired from Houston.

Patriots book goes inside secretive franchise
Was it rumored to have happened and discussed here even before that? I could have sworn that I read something about that over a year ago, although my sense of time could be off as the last half year has seemed like an eternity...

Also they apparently had a power struggle before the 2017 season coming off the Falcons Super Bowl.

It was such a power struggle that when the 49ers Lynch called Belichick to ask him if Brady was available in a trade, Belichick told him he was out of his mind.

Wickersham, I see, is still at it, keeping on with a story that has been so thoroughly debunked.

Who knows, maybe Shanahan and Lynch are complete liars, because they've only told the story several times. They must be just trying to save Belichick from embarrassment. With all their lies.

Also they apparently had a power struggle before the 2017 season coming off the Falcons Super Bowl.

It was such a power struggle that when the 49ers Lynch called Belichick to ask him if Brady was available in a trade, Belichick told him he was out of his mind.

Wickersham, I see, is still at it, keeping on with a story that has been so thoroughly debunked.

Who knows, maybe Shanahan and Lynch are complete liars, because they've only told the story several times. They must be just trying to save Belichick from embarrassment. With all their lies.

And with absolutely no substance to it. A classic” some people say,” followed by” you know, I have heard that some people say…” as though it’s an affirmation.

And if Brady wanted Belichick out He wouldn’t have wanted O’Brien to come in and expect MacDaniels to stay on as OC, he would have wanted MacDaniels to take over.

Reactions: SVN
Belichick without Brady: 9 seasons, 1 playoff victory
Brady without Belichick: 2 seasons, 5 playoff victories (one of which was a Super Bowl)

Those are the facts and they are not in dispute.

Brady without Belichick: 2 seasons, 5 playoff victories (one of which was a Super Bowl)

I admire your ability to selectively pick facts to support a certain perspective. There are jobs available for people like you.

Yes, we all know the Bucs went on a lucky run in 2020 vs Taylor Heinecke and Drew Brees with 12 broken ribs and a collapsed lung. Good for Tommy. And did I forget to mention the Bucs played the Eagles in 2021? For some reason Tommy can't beat the Rams as a Buc, but won 2 super bowls with Belichick against that same team....hmm

And if Brady wanted Belichick out He wouldn’t have wanted O’Brien to come in and expect MacDaniels to stay on as OC, he would have wanted MacDaniels to take over.
After the 2017 season there were rumors that Josh and Tom's professional relationship took on a less collaborative/more business-like demeanor.

It's about as interesting as Ben Volin saying TB12 was taking over as GM for Miami
The other Florida team. Brady the GM got Shaq Mason. *sarcasm*

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back