PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Replacement Refs

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are skipping the worst part.

Say by week #3 the NFL settles with the ref's union. Week #4 sees the refs return -making preseason mistakes. A blown call by the regular refs then is a PR nightmare.

Oh no, I don't have a good pension, so no one else should and I'll support the cram down as we all race to the bottom....

A pension for a part time job that already pays ridiculously well on top of the good jobs they already hold?

Screw that. If they aren't willing to go full time, why the **** should money earned by charging us for merchandise, tickets etc. go to their pockets when they've been shoddy at best the last few years.

No one earns a pension part time...and if you do you're one lucky son of a *****! Why should they be any different? Train the guys we have now and do away with he gold diggers I say.

Oh no, I don't have a good pension, so no one else should and I'll support the cram down as we all race to the bottom....

Almost no one has defined benefit pension plans anymore because they either bankrupt industries or go under due to inability to continue to fund them. That these guys have had a pension plan for part time work is unique enough. The league wants to change it to a 401K plan. And give them substantial pay increases. Boo freakin' hoo. Reffing these games is kind of like playing in them, it's a priviledge and not a birth right. All the guys on strike came up through the same ranks as their replacements. And in 2001 Mike Perriera not only insisted they would be fine, reffing is reffing and they all make mistakes, he joined them coming down from his ivory tower VP of Officiating gig to serve as a backup replacement ref...

Interesting podcast from outside the lines on the reffing standoff. Seems the issues boil down to the league insisting on a shift to funding a 401K retirement plan as opposed to maintaining the prior defined benefit plan. And wanting to make 7 officials full time in a move to expand training and study whether or not employment status improves performance. They also want to add 3 more crews (from 17-20) in order to facilitate replacement of individual officials due to injury or poor performance grading.

The union seems to be arguing there is no rationale for messing with a good thing, honestly. They claim more crews are not needed because they don't get fatigued working one day a week (although arguing they work a lot more like 30-40 hours including in the off season training themselves with help from retirees and Ed Hoculi...even though they are otherwise full time employed). They claim 7 full time crew members are not needed. And it would be an insult to bring new guys on 3 additional crews in even from Div. 1 because it takes years and years to get good at this level...so they couldn't possibly be used to replace poor refs because the poor refs are years ahead of them.

They seem to want a piece (%) of the pie base on revenue, just like players and owners...

Outside The Lines - ESPN

Too bad this forum isn't an air traffic control forum

As an air traffic strike survivor, I can assure you that anyone can be replaced. I didn't think they were any worse than the regular refs. Every game we complain about bad calls and every game one of the points to the wrong team or makes a misstatement.

Let's see them make calls that are worse than faceguarding in the AFC championship game or overturning Polamalu's INT in the playoffs (funny how those both benefited Peyton Manning.) As of now we're being hit with a barrage of media saying "these guys don't know what they're doing" and while it's true that they aren't as seasoned as the real refs let's not act like every fan base doesn't spend considerable time every year complaining about the refs. If this continues into the season the narrative in the media will change from the usual "these guys are only human, they're right 99% of the time" complete with mike pereira making excuses for them on Fox to "these scabs are ruining the integrity of the game" for blowing the exact same calls. The main complaint I have with them so far is that they are taking too long to make initial calls and review calls and it's hurting the flow of the game, that and the moron that called the ball downed at the 4 a touchback. Other than that it hasn't been that bad from the games I've watched.

If i wasn't told constantly that they were replacements i would never have known. They'll speed up their calls with a little practice and eventually be just a good as the old ones, if not better. Besides, I haven't seen any bogus faceguarding or false starts #70.

One other thing. I am tired of mike perira acting like its rocket science to call a game.

If i wasn't told constantly that they were replacements i would never have known. They'll speed up their calls with a little practice and eventually be just a good as the old ones, if not better. Besides, I haven't seen any bogus faceguarding or false starts #70.

One other thing. I am tired of mike perira acting like its rocket science to call a game.

Perira's SUCH a tool. I know BB says he likes him but then I'm not BB.

Last edited:
As someone who's watched a TON of football this month via Preseason Live, I can honestly say that these refs are far worse than the guys they're replacing... as hard as that is to believe.

I don't know if this would've been called differently by the regular zebras, but I was watching some of the 2nd quarter of the Bears-Skins game on the NFLN today; RG3 throws a deep pass to Garcon down the left sideline, Charles Tillman runs stride-for-stride with him, Garcon runs OOB, the ball falls INC...and a zebra throws a DPI flag. Horrible. The Skins finish the drive w/ a FG, IIRC.
Like I said, maybe the regular zebras throw the hankie too, but that was just an awful, awful call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back